j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've owned 4 of them and was happy with every one of them.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
I also have had very good performance from two Oppo 980s (yes, the very old one), one of which used to live in J-Garcia's house :).
I had one issue which Oppo fixed quickly, with minimal inconvenience at reasonable cost.
No complaint's here. With a little luck should have a 103D for Xmas!
Cheers,
XEagleDriver

C

cvcgolf

Audioholic
I always assumed and was looking forward to upgrading but my 83 is still working flawlessly and I'm impressed and surprised.. Most players tank by now..

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Bought my 105 about 2 years ago. It was actually my first blu-ray player. Until I purchased it, my only source for music was CD and FM, so it opened up my music possibilities ( Pandora, Network to my PC, Hi-Res via USB, CD, etc.) Plus Netflix for movies. And it sounds and looks good with everything. So for me, it was a good buy. Because of all the good reviews on it's analog performance, I think some people are tempted to buy it and use it as just a CD player. But this machine is meant to be hooked up to a display to get the most out of it.

P

PhilCohen

Audioholic
I love Oppo Blu-ray players too. I've got a 5-year old BDP-83 and a very new(2 month old) BDP-105D. Both are modified "Region Code Free" units. I intend to buy a pair of XLR cables and try the stereo analog outputs of the BDP-105D in the not too distant future. I'm not really interested in the streaming features, and the DSL internet service in my area is too poor for any type of streaming ,anyhow. As people have reported, the BDP-105D's headphone output sounds superb.(I've used it with my Sennheiser HD-650 headphones). And while I'm at it, a bit of praise for Sennheiser. I sent my 9-year old HD-650's to them to repair those headphones' cracked headband, paid them a $150 flat fee(including return shipping)....and(rather than repair the old headphones) they send me an all-new pair of HD-650's + storage case. Guess I'm good for another 9 years!! Bravo!!!

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I love Oppo Blu-ray players too. I've got a 5-year old BDP-83 and a very new(2 month old) BDP-105D. Both are modified "Region Code Free" units. I intend to buy a pair of XLR cables and try the stereo analog outputs of the BDP-105D in the not too distant future. I'm not really interested in the streaming features, and the DSL internet service in my area is too poor for any type of streaming ,anyhow. As people have reported, the BDP-105D's headphone output sounds superb.(I've used it with my Sennheiser HD-650 headphones). And while I'm at it, a bit of praise for Sennheiser. I sent my 9-year old HD-650's to them to repair those headphones' cracked headband, paid them a $150 flat fee(including return shipping)....and(rather than repair the old headphones) they send me an all-new pair of HD-650's + storage case. Guess I'm good for another 9 years!! Bravo!!!
Hey Phil,

Just as an aside, did you by chance grow up in Houston?

DJ

D

dieve3

Audiophyte
I have owned two of them, the BDP-83 and currently the BDP-103. I had a small problem with the 83 after a few years, but even though it was out of warranty Oppo fixed it no questions asked, great after sales service. Incidentally I sold the the 83 to my buddy and it is still going strong, I think he got the best of the deal.

Love the 103.

P

PhilCohen

Audioholic
Hey Phil,

Just as an aside, did you by chance grow up in Houston?

DJ
No, but,oddly enough, I do have several relatives in Houston. As for myself, I've lived in South Florida since age 5.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Woohoo! Just ordered a 103D to be the "big" Xmas gift this year. The waiting is the hard part.
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

R

Romaman

Audiophyte
Does OPPO ever go on sale at a better price or do I just save and suck it up and get it?

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Occasionally a retail vendor will have a sale, but it's usually at a neglible % off, like 5% or 10%. Not really worth puting it off for.

DJ

A

Assumer

Enthusiast
What is the advantage of an OPPO? Never heard of them until I joined this forum. They look great, but what is the advantage over the typical mass marketed DVD player?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
What is the advantage of an OPPO? Never heard of them until I joined this forum. They look great, but what is the advantage over the typical mass marketed DVD player?

They took the market by storm simply because their video processing is so far above the competition at either $500-$1200 price point.

Audioholics annihilated I think a Lexicon or similar 'ultra premium' branded disc player, cause when they opened it up they found an upgraded power supply, and then ALL of the internals of an Oppo, for triple the cost.

I've compared mine with a couple of our TVs with old crap players and one decent Sony and it was effortless to see the difference in picture quality!

A

ACharles

Audiophyte
I am going to purchase an Oppo 103 as part of a total system upgrade to my home theater equipment. Is the Darbee version really worth the $100 extra?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
They took the market by storm simply because their video processing is so far above the competition at either $500-$1200 price point.

Audioholics annihilated I think a Lexicon or similar 'ultra premium' branded disc player, cause when they opened it up they found an upgraded power supply, and then ALL of the internals of an Oppo, for triple the cost.

I've compared mine with a couple of our TVs with old crap players and one decent Sony and it was effortless to see the difference in picture quality!
I think Harmon International lost market trust with the Lexicon package. It made me rethink the value in any of their brands I was loyal to.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Come to think of it, I wonder if Harmon just disappeared would anyone but their employees miss 'em. Maybe, I would miss JBL.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Come to think of it, I wonder if Harmon just disappeared would anyone but their employees miss 'em. Maybe, I would miss JBL.

The research conducted in Harman labs has influenced the entire industry in a positive way. People like Dr. Floyd Toole have spent their lives studying the way humans perceive, and prefer, sound.

But realize the enormous size of that Harman umbrella! Don't let the poor decisions of one group blanket the entire conglomerate!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis