I knew the day would come eventually.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
My 32" Toshiba TV, for which I paid $888 in 2006 pretty much died. I turn it on and everyone and everything looks like The Incredible Hulk. The tint adjustment has no effect at all but, if I turn the color all the way down, it still gives a durn good Black and White picture. Everything looks like an old movie.

On the positive side, I can get a 32" Vizio smart TV for $220. I picked up one of these last August and you can't beat it with a stick.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-D32-D1-32-1080p-120Hz-LED-Smart-HDTV/49228251

My, how prices have dropped. ...thankfully

Oh, physical mounting limitations here keep me locked into a 32" size.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
When my Sharp 37" was stolen I moved up to a 40" Vizio for almost half what I paid for the Sharp on sale and it had better PQ than the Sharp.

Not to mention a 4K is now less than what I paid for my current 55" too.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
My 32" Toshiba TV, for which I paid $888 in 2006 pretty much died. I turn it on and everyone and everything looks like The Incredible Hulk. The tint adjustment has no effect at all but, if I turn the color all the way down, it still gives a durn good Black and White picture. Everything looks like an old movie.

On the positive side, I can get a 32" Vizio smart TV for $220. I picked up one of these last August and you can't beat it with a stick.

Any hints on destroying one? Mine is still going. :(

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Dell has been having some great deals on Samsung 4K as well with similar gift card deals; lower than black friday and xmas. I've bought from them with mixed experience before though.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'm sure you have someone in the family who could benefit from it? Or just donate it. When I bought my kids a 55" for Xmas they wanted to sell their old Plasma. I made them give it to my aunt because her TV was going out. Win-win.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'll not replace it with another 32" set. I WILL be going for a 55" for our other home in a few weeks. Yeah, a Vizio. Maybe even a 4k unit. It'll replace our 46" set which will now be repurposed to a bedroom TV.

I'll ask around to see if anyone is interested in a flat screen B&W high def set. If not, to the recycling bin it goes.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

Check the cables- I assume you're using the Component input, so it's possible that the red or blue cable worked its way loose and if that happens, you'll still see green because it's the cable carrying the synch. Also, connect the green cable to the composite output of something and see if it shows full color.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Great idea. Thanks. I'll give it a shot and report back.

But, I've also noticed as of late that upon power down I get a psychedelic screenfull of colors and, a few times a half screen of white and a half of screen black.

But, hey, it's worth a try. Better yet, I'll see how the blu-ray player works. That's HDMI.

[EDIT]IT WORKED!!!
happy penguin.jpg

HIGH, YOU DA MAN!!!

The Blu-ray worked fine so I investigated further. I found the red connection on the back of the cable box was hanging out. I plugged it in and it worked.

when I shared the good news with Rita, she said that she was dusting back there and moved the box. She noticed it was a little tight and had to pull on it to move it.

but, I think I'll keep her anyway.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis