I just joined this website.

William Tandy Jr.

William Tandy Jr.

Enthusiast
I got the Velodyne sub hooked up, and I'm impressed just like I was 20 years ago. I record stuff off the internet with Sony MDS B5 minidisk recorders, and play them back through the B&O system. Most of my audio is music from the 20's-30's so it doesn't need much bass. As a theater organist, I occasionally listen to that kind of music, and that's where the sub some into play. I like to leave the Pentas set at neutral, and add the bass with the sub. I still have 3 turntables in the house, and have over 10,000 records, some of them "direct to disc"

William Tandy Jr.

William Tandy Jr.

Enthusiast
Here is a recent photo showing the Velodyne amp over the B&O receiver. The other pic is the left side of the system, with the other penta speaker. Both sides have a Revox reel deck. One is a two track, the other a four track.

Attachments

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Those direct-to-disk LP's (usually Sheffield) are incredible. Best sound out of an LP that I've ever heard!

William Tandy Jr.

William Tandy Jr.

Enthusiast
I try to record the direct to disk records the first time I play them. I've heard that the sonic excellence is negated after about 10 playings. I have three tangential turntables, and one vintage Thorens with a Shure SME arm (the longer transcription version). I bought this table about 35 years ago for $115! They seem to be going today for about $2500.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm a theater organist, and the B&O pentas are pretty satisfying. I used to use Dahlquist DQ10's with DQ 1 Subs, but the Pentas are pretty amazing. As you probably know, I just bought a used reconed Velodyne ULDII 15 sub. Just for more amazing bass if I need it.
I'm sorry, I was going to welcome you earlier and then forgot.

Where and what is your theater organ? I suspect from your Avitar it is a Wurlitzer.

Please tell us more about your interesting career.

I also have vintage tape machines.

I have two Revox A700 half track machines and three Revox A77 machines. Two are high speed 2 track and the other a standard speed 4 track. I also have a Brenell Mk 6 the later version with the parabolic tape path. It records 2 track but is four head and can play back 4 track tapes, as there is a 4 track playback head.

There is Dolby A and B, plus dbx 1 & 2 code/encode available.
I also have an audio workstation with WaveLab 6 that has extensive editing and CD mastering facilities.

So if you have tapes that need digitizing and mastering to CD I can do that for you.

Michael Barone sometimes features theater organs on Pipe Dreams. Have you heard any of these programs?

In my youth I used to listen in the Reginald Dixon's recitals from the Tower Ball Room Blackpool.

My speaker system uses transmission line speakers except for the side surrounds. These are basically highly specialized Gadeckt organ pipes.

Anyhow I hope you stay on this forum. I'm sure you have a lot to teach us.

William Tandy Jr.

William Tandy Jr.

Enthusiast
I record much info from the web using Sony minidisc MDSb5 units. They both have remote control, and several years ago, I went to a police auction and bought two cases (about ! gross each) of brand new discs. I find their quality similar to CD quality.

William Tandy Jr.

William Tandy Jr.

Enthusiast
Here's a couple of things I use to edit and compose. the Orban was about $25000 back in the eighties, today, worth nothing, but still works great. 8 channels in mixed to two, but you can edit out a fraction of a second. Great for radio commercials. OTher is the Sony MDSb5. I have two, and they record off of YouTube in CD quality. ALso easy to edit and name.

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis