I just don't want to.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
That's exactly my issue. I have a growing collection of unused wires that were left back there because they were trapped by previous wire management. It's easier just to leave the old stuff where it is.
Ok, that explains a lot.

So whats the best way if the cables are to long? Do you just loop them and then apply velcro or tape them?
Well, if you really cared, you can just buy new wires all over again, that are the correct length. Outside of speaker wire, I'm quite sure I could get all new wiring for my HT well under $100, and that's including the 25ft HDMI cable.

I have a roll of velcro now for a future project, but I've never used it before on wire mgmt. I have used techflex, twist ties, and tape (particularly for my IR emitters that are all 10ft long, and no choice in this matter).

EDIT: oh when I think of wire mgmt, I think of this AVS system . . . check out at least pages 2/3
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1004179&page=2

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Well, if you really cared, you can just buy new wires all over again, that are the correct length.
One of my biggest pet peeves is the length of some power cords. For instance, the Panamax has a power cord about 8ft long that's the thickness of a finger. I need it to go 18" to the wall plus a little slack. Even running the cord across the room, I still have to tie up extra. It seems all my other electrical wires are too long as well. They just have to go to the Panamax, a couple of feet away and I have to tie up the other 4 ft. This is where a lot of the mess comes from.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
My power center has a similar uber long fat like my ... well, just fat power cord and if I ever cared enough to cut it it would be easy. It's just wire nuts inside and simple mechanism that holds it in the chassis.

I was just scared that I might move it and need the cord length and I really didn't need the extra work. Push that entertainment center back against the wall and forget about it. :D :p

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Here is my finished product. Sadly, there are a certain number of cables that have to leave the cabinet and go other places, like sub cables, network, satellite and power cords. Otherwise, this wouldn't look too bad. On the up side, the furniture dollies work great and when I push it back against the wall, all the wires just seem to slide on their own right up against the wall.

I was able to leave much of my previous wiring untouched. I did manage to remove a ton of wire and even managed to remove two network cables that went around the corner to the other wall. I have the Panamax power unit on one side of the rack plugged into the system's dedicated power line. All the major components are plugged in here except the subs. The Hsu is plugged into this line directly into the wall. I have an APC surge protector on the other side of the rack that takes the plugs from the 9v network parts and the Escient and draws from an old house circuit. The SVS is plugged directly into the wall on this old house circuit but it's the only main component on the old circuit. Note my system for managing the miles of extra cable. I taped a plastic desktop organizer to each side of the back of the rack and dropped all the extra lengths into it's separate compartments.

Minor changes to equipment were made. I moved the satellite box down on top of the Panamax unit, got rid of the SMS-1 and moved my wifes laptop storage up one shelf. I did get the new STB and thankfully, this one is black instead of the awful silver thing in my otherwise black system. I still have to initialize the STB and don't you know it, the Bell call center is closed until 8AM.

I will post photos of the front of the system once the tools are put away and everything is cleaned up.

Last edited:
Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Looks a lot better from what I can see.
Thanks. The best part for me is what you can't see. The main power supply for the whole system has been moved from an old existing power line to a new dedicated line just for this system. There are only two outlets on the new line, one for the system and one for the TV above.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
At least yours is on wheels. Furniture dollies, huh?
Go-Nad! is about to crawl out of his skin looking at all that mayhem. He's like the Monk of AH. :)

I love seeing all that wire. Even though it's only a small thing I got rid of my antennas. That AM loop and some amplified FM job I had got wrapped up, put in a zip lock and put away. I never listen to the radio in the living room and I hated having to deal with all that stupid stringy wire after spending all that time trying to make things neat.

I get rolls of 3/4" velcro from work to help with wire management. Parts express has something similar. Get plenty. It goes quick.
Hey! I'm not that bad! When it comes to wiring, there is only so much you can do. I don't have a problem with a rats nest of wire, as long as I can't see it.;)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey! I'm not that bad!
Oh, my mistake then. A thousand pardons ... I mistook you for somebody else. :rolleyes: :p

Dave, good going on making it better. :)
Now push that back up against the wall and stop looking at it. :D

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
the goal needs to be something like this...:D very few enthusiast do theirs this way. Paying for CI sometimes is worth it (relative to all that say O you can do it yourself, which we all can, but how far do we go?) Pic from AVS member:)

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Oh, my mistake then. A thousand pardons ... I mistook you for somebody else. :rolleyes: :p

Dave, good going on making it better. :)
Now push that back up against the wall and stop looking at it. :D
Sarcasm is sooooooo not like you......;)

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I should probably know this but...Why?
My SMS-1 unit is messed up. For some reason, it will drop all output at the bottom end. It happens for seemingly no reason right in the middle of whatever material I'm listening to. What normally might look like this:

Suddenly becomes this:

I did a ton of diagnosis last year and isolated the problem to the SMS-1. I believe the act of getting this to reset, by raising the output level to a certain point, is the cause of my SVS blowing up no less than twice and needing a new amp. I've been running without it for a year now and have had no further issues with my subs. I've just now had the opportunity to physically remove it.

I'll probably send it Velodyne to have it looked at but it's old and it may cost more than it's worth to fix it.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Looks like I picked up a ground loop. Probably because I have the SVS and Escient on a different circuit. I have a ground loop isolator for the satellite but it's a dual tuner PVR with two coax lines from the dish.

Do I need 2 isolators?

Or is it because the two subs are on different circuits?

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Did you upgrade the firmware ? the latest firmware doesn't have the early rolloff as the early one did...

Also, gotta check on the other page to see if you implemented a highpass filter up there which is killing your low end.

For wire management - get a roll of double sided velcro, its cheap and you cut it to length, makes for fast easy adjustments, when you need to make changes....
http://www.hookandloop.com/site/product_definitions.cfm

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Strap-Hook-Manhattan-422161/dp/B003X2ZMDC/ref=acc_glance_e_ai_purchase_similarities_t_4

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Did you upgrade the firmware ? the latest firmware doesn't have the early rolloff as the early one did...

Also, gotta check on the other page to see if you implemented a highpass filter up there which is killing your low end.
I haven't done the firmware update. I got wrapped up in the process and never got around to actually doing it. Getting subsonic hasn't been a problem. I think the photos may have been taken with just the Hsu hooked up which doesn't have the extension of the SVS.

The two images you see above were taken without any changes made to the system or settings. There is no apparent reason or cause for the whole bottom end to drop out like that in the middle of a song. I took the first photo for reference then played music until the bass mysteriously vanished, measured again and snapped the second photo.

I had a whole thread on this last year IIRC when I was trying to figure out the issue. I was talking with the Velo rep on AVS at the time but he has since retired and the new guy is less than helpful. I spent months of frustration on this thing last year and when I disconnected it, I was pretty much done with it and consider the unit I just removed a dead carcass in my own mind.

For wire management - get a roll of double sided velcro, its cheap and you cut it to length, makes for fast easy adjustments, when you need to make changes....
Got it. Used it.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
the goal needs to be something like this...:D very few enthusiast do theirs this way. Paying for CI sometimes is worth it (relative to all that say O you can do it yourself, which we all can, but how far do we go?) Pic from AVS member:)

I have mine arranged that way. Mine isn't quite as neat because I didn't want to use a bunch of cable ties and make it really difficult to change stuff. Any cables I could, I built to length.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis