I have the reciever, Need speaker recommendations please advise!

S

Starbound

Enthusiast
I am new to home theater. I have a living room that is almost 19'x19' with some openings at the back of the room and 9' ceiling. I have just purchased a reconditioned Onkyo TXSR602 reciever and my speaker wires and cables. Now I need my speakers. Because the the way my living room is shaped I need small satelite speakers for the 4 rear surround speakers, I plan on a 7.1 system. The side surround speakers will have to be mounted close to the ceiling on mounts or hanging from the ceiling and tilted down toward the listing area. The rear speakers will probably be mounted in the same fashion. Because of the size restraint I have been looking at the Infinity TSS-750 set. I have found this set reconditioned for just under $400.00 which is my budget at this time. That doesn't include the 2 rear speakers but I will add those in a few months. My question, does anyone recommend any other speaker packages that I should check out in this price range? I have only been to Circuit City and that was the best sounding set for the price.

Thank You for you help!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Athena Micra 6 in black is on sale at Best Buy for $300 (online). NO small satellites are going to fill that room well, but for the price, these will be as good or better than the Infinitys.

S

Starbound

Enthusiast
Thanks for your response. I wish I could hear both sets. I did notice the frequency on the Athena's is a little lower than the Infinity's. I do like the fact that the infinity's have binding posts, and a much larger sub. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
For what your looking at, and your budget, I would start off with fronts and work your way up.

Thats a big room to fill, and no sub/sat system can handle it.

SheepStar

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
You might want to give this a look-see.

http://www.hsustore.com/vt12.html

Jgarcia is right about the small speakers not filling the large room. But if you need some thump to go with the speakers, Hsu also has a terrific deal on an STF-2 + VT-12 + 20' sub cable + free shipping for $559!

Happy speaker hunting! :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The VT-12 is another good choice, and with the 10" Dayton sub on sale at www.partexpress.com for $100, you would be right around $400 plus some shipping, but for the price the HSU package deal looks pretty attractive. The reason I mentioned the Micra 6 is because the sub is included at the $300 price. None of these subs are going to fill a room that size well though. My room is 19x20 and my sub is just barely enough. I had a VTF-2 before in this room and it did quite well actually, though it doesn't quite have the extension of my current sub.

Last edited:
S

Starbound

Enthusiast
So if you guy's don't think that any of the small sat/sub systems will work for my room what would you recommend? What about using 4 small sat's for my rear speakers and then get bigger ones for the front and center channel, and maybe a larger sub down the road. How would a setup like that sound and what would you recommend? Thanks for the responses!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
If I was you, I would start with fronts and then finish off the system as money allows. I would also try to have each speaker be able to hit 80hz so you don't have to worry about bass localization.

$400 for fronts is a good budget, and then you could build the system off of that. Listen to what you can and see what you like.

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis