C

cpd

Full Audioholic
I have a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit TT that is turning itself on automatically. The first instance was about one month ago. The TT is inside a cabinet with a cloth faced door. One night I looked over and I could see the power light on behind the door. I went over to investigate and the TT was spinning. I turned it off and chalked it up to accidentally leaving it on the night before.

The same thing happened about two weeks later and then again this past Monday. With each instance I grew more confident that something weird was going on, but I had used the TT the night before so I could not be sure.

So I decided I wasn't going to use the TT for awhile and see if it did it again. When I got home from work tonight the TT was on again! So is there a ghost in my house or is there a logical explanation for this?

There is one new item in the line, if it matters. I recently received a vintage 1970's Marantz receiver. The TT is connected to the phono stage of that unit and the phono stage was recently repaired because the left channel didn't work. I don't know if the Marantz could possibly be causing it, all I know is that the first occurrence of the issue was after I got the Marantz.

If anyone has ideas I'd love to hear them.

Thanks

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit TT that is turning itself on automatically. The first instance was about one month ago. The TT is inside a cabinet with a cloth faced door. One night I looked over and I could see the power light on behind the door. I went over to investigate and the TT was spinning. I turned it off and chalked it up to accidentally leaving it on the night before.

The same thing happened about two weeks later and then again this past Monday. With each instance I grew more confident that something weird was going on, but I had used the TT the night before so I could not be sure.

So I decided I wasn't going to use the TT for awhile and see if it did it again. When I got home from work tonight the TT was on again! So is there a ghost in my house or is there a logical explanation for this?

There is one new item in the line, if it matters. I recently received a vintage 1970's Marantz receiver. The TT is connected to the phono stage of that unit and the phono stage was recently repaired because the left channel didn't work. I don't know if the Marantz could possibly be causing it, all I know is that the first occurrence of the issue was after I got the Marantz.

If anyone has ideas I'd love to hear them.

Thanks
The only thing that could possibly cause this is a faulty power switch.

This switch needs replacing pronto, as it may well be a hazard.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
I'm glad I asked and thank you both for the quick reply. We are heading out for a few days and leaving my mother with the kid. I unplugged the power to the TT and will contact Pro-Ject when I get back.

Thanks.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
To resurrect an old thread. I took it in and the couldn't find an issue. The issue went away for a long time. Just recently it came back. Today I discovered the culprit. I live in Wisconsin and it's cold and dry right now. I have the TT hooked up to a Marantz 2015. If I touch the Marantz and there is a static electricity discharge the TT turns on.

Weird, but is it a problem?

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
To resurrect an old thread. I took it in and the couldn't find an issue. The issue went away for a long time. Just recently it came back. Today I discovered the culprit. I live in Wisconsin and it's cold and dry right now. I have the TT hooked up to a Marantz 2015. If I touch the Marantz and there is a static electricity discharge the TT turns on.

Weird, but is it a problem?
Is it a problem ? Living in Wisconsin or the static electricity discharge?:)

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Is it a problem that the static electricity discharge turns on my TT?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Is it a problem that the static electricity discharge turns on my TT?
Call the company. This shouldn't happen in my opinion especially if the TT has an on/off switch.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't just think it's the tt's fault if it's the Marantz he's touching....why would it be sending enough voltage back thru the line level connection to turn on the tt is my thinking but running it by Pro-Ject may be interesting....plus he didn't have the issue before the Marantz (or it's repair perhaps?). Scrub off the static charge by touching something else before the Marantz for now at least should be easy enough.

It's been a long time since I lived in the midwest but we certainly had lots of static electricity and had fun with it as kids, shuffling our feet across the carpet and then shocking each other :)

ps curious if your tt is connected also with a ground wire to the receiver?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Call the company. This shouldn't happen in my opinion especially if the TT has an on/off switch.
This just goes to show that nobody can use a simple solution any more. Obviously that on/off switch is indirect. From what is happening, the the power switch is destabilizing some sort of flip/flop circuit, such as an IC with a Darlington pair. Obviously this can be destabilized by the static discharge as well as the on/off switch.

If they had followed the "Keep it simple stupid" rule this would not happen.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Is the TT plugged into a wall socket controlled by an on/off wall switch?

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Thanks for all of the responses. Here are some answers to the questions.

The TT does have an on/off switch but it is a push button type switch. You press it once to turn the table on. Press it again to switch speeds. You hold it down to turn the table off.

In addition to the line level cables between the TT and the Marantz there is a ground wire connected (it is nice interconnect made by BJC).

I checked the outlet this weekend and it has a continuous ground if that matters. The TT and the Marantz are plugged into the same power strip which has a normal on/off toggle switch. That power strip is plugged into the grounded outlet, but the outlet is not controlled by a wall switch.

I have been scrubbing off excess static before turning it on, but I cannot prevent my 5 year old from touching it apparently, as I still find the TT on sometimes.

I have reached out to the same tech at Sumiko that assisted me the first time, I have not heard a response yet.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I have been scrubbing off excess static before turning it on, but I cannot prevent my 5 year old from touching it apparently, as I still find the TT on sometimes.
I would do another experiment then.
When you see the TT being off, rub your shoes to build up static electric charge and touch the table someplace where your kid might touch it and see if that turns it on.

I would place an inline on/off switch close to where you would use it as a positive, non IC switch.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I cannot prevent my 5 year old from touching it apparently, as I still find the TT on sometimes.

LOL I would have found that a lot of fun at 5! Pretty light and motion for a simple touch....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks for all of the responses. Here are some answers to the questions.

The TT does have an on/off switch but it is a push button type switch. You press it once to turn the table on. Press it again to switch speeds. You hold it down to turn the table off.

In addition to the line level cables between the TT and the Marantz there is a ground wire connected (it is nice interconnect made by BJC).

I checked the outlet this weekend and it has a continuous ground if that matters. The TT and the Marantz are plugged into the same power strip which has a normal on/off toggle switch. That power strip is plugged into the grounded outlet, but the outlet is not controlled by a wall switch.

I have reached out to the same tech at Sumiko that assisted me the first time, I have not heard a response yet.
That is useful information. Obviously that turntable is controlled through some type of CMOS logic chip. If the design is sensitive to static this is not something you will eliminate other than by putting a conductive mat in front of your equipment and making sure you have conductive shoes.

I have looked for a circuit for that turntable, but as is usual with modern equipment circuits are pretty much never published. They are paranoid someone will copy their circuit, which they won't. When we design circuits, ours are always the best and the other guy's junk!

But seriously this sort of thing in a turntable is pure hubris. From an electrical standpoint a turntable should be very simple. I'm glad I use only good vintage turntables. I always strongly recommend good vintage designs and with good reason.

Last edited:
C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Thanks again. Back to the bigger question, is it a safety issue? I get that the wear parts will wear faster, but is my home in danger? And if so, should I plug the TT into a separate switch in between the TT and the power strip to cut power to the TT when it is not in use?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks again. Back to the bigger question, is it a safety issue? I get that the wear parts will wear faster, but is my home in danger? And if so, should I plug the TT into a separate switch in between the TT and the power strip to cut power to the TT when it is not in use?
In light of what has transpired, I don't think this is a major safety issue. However, if it was my turntable, I would not want it coming on while I was away and having a motor running for extended periods.

Probably it would be best to install an AC power switch in the AC supply. A neat solution would be to use the 12V trigger from your receiver via relay. The Niles AC 3 is NLA, but you might find one on eBay.

Here is a nice DIY project that will save you lots of money and get the job done.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
My Marantz is a vintage 2015. I don't think it has a 12 V trigger. But it does have a switched and un-switched outlet. I wonder if plugging the TT into the switched outlet on the back would solve the issue?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

My Marantz is a vintage 2015. I don't think it has a 12 V trigger. But it does have a switched and un-switched outlet. I wonder if plugging the TT into the switched outlet on the back would solve the issue?
Yes it would.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis