I don't know what happened. . . .

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I wish I've been more precise when asking the question as most of what you wrote is familiar to me. I did a lot of work with wood in general; hardwood softwood, plywood and MDF when I was serving my time in the army. I was working in a carpentry shop. It was mostly furniture for schools and daycare centers and after that for my own use - shelves, kitchen cabinets and such.
I didn't know what you already knew about wood work, and it turns out you probably know more than I do. My long answer might help other readers.
You mostly got me interested with this void-free feature of some plywood. I just wanted to know do constructors associate these voids with bad resonance or affecting the sound in any way or is it simply because of holding the screws as you said and not threatening with dents? (For example, if there's an unsuspecting void under the first layer of veneer, you might make a dent even with medium grip, I get that, but is there an acoustic feature of void-free plywood that makes it desirable in speaker cabinet construction?)
B&W, and other large speaker manufacturers, have made advertising points about using expensive materials, such as void-free Baltic birch, in their speakers. Usually their claims imply, but never specifically say, that those expensive materials actually do make for better sound. We've seen that too often in audio :rolleyes:.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Well, thank you for taking your time.

I wish I've been more precise when asking the question as most of what you wrote is familiar to me. I did a lot of work with wood in general; hardwood softwood, plywood and MDF when I was serving my time in the army. I was working in a carpentry shop. It was mostly furniture for schools and daycare centers and after that for my own use - shelves, kitchen cabinets and such.

You mostly got me interested with this void-free feature of some plywood. I just wanted to know do constructors associate these voids with bad resonance or affecting the sound in any way or is it simply because of holding the screws as you said and not threatening with dents? (For example, if there's an unsuspecting void under the first layer of veneer, you might make a dent even with medium grip, I get that, but is there an acoustic feature of void-free plywood that makes it desirable in speaker cabinet construction?)

In the end you gave me the answer, I'm just sorry I've made you write the whole story by being vague.

thx
I've personally used 13-ply from home depot for all my builds. I prefer it over MDF because it's much lighter plus it's already veneered. You will want good blades and bits, but you don't need a Forrest blade. Marine grade stuff is a lot more expensive and I'm simply not convinced it's worth the extra expense.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis