I am novice requiring help to set up the HTS

D

dagarshali

Enthusiast
I bought Yamaha HTR 5840 receiver, which is a 6.1 system and I also bought Klipsch quintent speakers with KSW-12 sub.

I connected all the speakers as suggested in the manual and when I do the basic setup and check for the Test tone, I hear pink noise from each speaker seperately and the speaker in question blinks in the front panel display.

Yesterday, I bought a THX certified DVD and used their Audio test, I was kinda surprised. When the pink noise should be coming the left channel, the name noise of lesser magnitude came from the surround speakers. I don't have the back sorround speakers, but when the DVD played the back sorround speakers, i heard them on my usual surround speakers. Also, when the test tone was supposed to be coming from surround left, it also came from surround right. I am not sure what is the problem here. I might not have explained my problem correctly on the first place.So,please excuse me for my immaturity in this area. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Vishwa

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Quick question. How do you have the DVD player connected to your receiver for audio. A digital connection is essential. You need to either be running an optical cable or a digital coaxial cable to get proper surround soun, not just the red and white stereo cable. This could explain your problem. If not I'm stymied.

D

dagarshali

Enthusiast
I have connected the red, white and yellow cable.. Also, I have connect the yellow part of the cable from receiver to TV as I thot only video was need for the TV. Should I use a different cable for that also..

Thanks,
vishwa

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
dagarshali said:
I have connected the red, white and yellow cable.. Also, I have connect the yellow part of the cable from receiver to TV as I thot only video was need for the TV. Should I use a different cable for that also..

Thanks,
vishwa
Thats your problem then, you need to either use the Digital Coax output or the fiber optic out on your dvd player and run that to the receiver of the matching input. For the video to the TV what inputs does your tv have, if it has svideo use that, or if it has component thats even better. But run the best quality video you can to your tv.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis