HT Speaker Suggestions?

B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
Lately, I think I've caught the upgrade bug. I'm currently toying with the idea of replacing my main speakers.

I'm not sure if this is something that I'll really commit to, but I'm hoping to get a few ideas for reference.

My current Totem System is a bit underwhelming for movies and certain types of music. Jazz sounds absolutely fantastic, however, when listening to pop, rock, r&b, hip-hop, they sound.. meh.

Same with movies - they don't provide that 'full' theater sound.

I've tried moving the speakers closer to the wall, tried in a much smaller room, and come to the conclusion that these speakers just aren't made for home theater.

On the flip side, the speaker do provide very, very clear highs. I can hear much more detail than on the PSBs on everything from music to movies. Sometimes it's a bit too much - sound from cable sounds absolutely horrible.

When I compare this to my PSB 4Ts, I notice that the 4Ts are more neutral and the Totems sound....colored/sweeter? It's kind of hard to explain in words. The PSBs seem to handle a larger variety of sources and materials more evenly, where to Totems like high quality sources and accoustical music. (Don't get me wrong, between the two, the Totems win hands down, I'm just trying to illustrate what I hear).

Now for the what I'm thinking.

Usage is currently 80% Movies and 20% Music. I'm wondering what speakers would be in the Totem Hawk/Rainmaker/Lynks price range that would better fulfill my needs.

I'm looking for big, big, room filling sound. I'm also looking for lots of detail, but not too bright.

Any suggestions?

(I've listened to Paradigm Reference Studio 20s before and really like them, but I only heard them for a bit with music).

EDIT: I'm also not willing to change my AVR or Amp.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Speakers that sound good with music usually sound pretty good with movies.

Do they have any DefTech speakers in Canada you can audition at home?

I don't know. I guess I'm just spoiled I have DefTech speakers that sound great to ME for both music and movies. :D

I guess everyone is different though. They may not sound great to someone else. :D

I've listened to the Paradigm Studio 100 towers and I didn't like the way they sound at all (lack of midrange clarify and especially bass IMO). But everyone is different.

What other speakers do they have near you besides Totem, PSB, & Paradigm?

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Imo you'd like Salksound's SongTowers ($2k a pair) - they have raving reviews by AH staff.

B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
Def Tech, B&W, Mirage, and a bunch of others that I probably haven't seen.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis