HT Newbie - Advice for Sub please

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Holy crap!! What awesome posts!

Ok, I got the main differences about the ability to play down to 20 and the output levels. Let me ask a few more questions from a different angle. The fact that I'm asking such questions what show my ignorance, but that's OK.

Forget total output levels as the key comparison criteria for a moment. Which sub is going to give me clear definition and separation of the bass line and bass drum when played simultaneously? Which sub is going to keep in time with the wobble bass in dubstep? Which sub can keep up Squarepusher's inhumanly fast bass guitar skills? Not to forget movies-which sub is going make explosions feel like they are actually happening? Which sub is going to make the cool sound effects in Transformer movies a new experience?
Which sun will actually make a recorded Taiko drum sound authentic?

By the way, as I not only listen to dubstep but produce it as a hobby, the DSP protection of the SVS is very appealing.
hoo-boy! Well, I gotta tell ya, now you're really talking my language! But you're also getting into a tricky bit of territory. When you're talking about really wanting to clearly delineate and separate the bass line from the bass drum. When you're talking about super fast bass guitar and authentic sounding Taiko drums. I feel that I have to warn you, you're not talking about easy stuff there! You ARE talking about the kind of stuff that I personally listen for in bass. The stuff that I LOVE and that I crave. Unfortunately, it's also the stuff that forces me to look past that $1000-ish price point :eek:

Believe me, if there were a way to get it all for a lower price, I'd be ALL OVER it! I'm in no rush to increase the price tag of stuff and in no rush to go telling people to spend considerably more money unless it's absolutely necessary! But the kind of detail and depth, realism and quality of bass that you're describing - it genuinely is not easy to reproduce, and I suspect you already sort of know that ;)

If you're in a SMALL room - and I'm talking like a mixing studio here, not even a normal living room, let alone a dubbing stage - then a really high quality sealed sub in the vein of one of Rythmik's sealed subs or SVSound's SB13-Plus DSP or HSU's ULS-15 (all of which come in at or over $1000 by the way) is in order. If you've got the funds and can step up to a JL Audio Fathom, then that's the sort of thing you'd be after.

When you get to a larger room size though - especially if you have openings to other rooms - you run into that problem of sealed subs starting their more shallow roll-off up around 40Hz. It's just so much about the interaction between the sub(s) and the room. But when you see the decay measurements, and you get those great, super fast response times where there's just no ringing and no stored energy coming from the sub - regardless of the frequency - then you sort of start wishing that you were designing your room around your sub, rather than trying to fit a sub into your room :p

The thing is, when you really "want it all" - the way that you're describing - well, that's when I just keep coming back to the SVSound PB/PC13-Ultra. The thing is just SO darn clean. And in a smaller room, you even have the option to plug all of its ports and run it as a sealed sub. You lose considerable output all the way up its frequency response, but if you're in a small room that doesn't need all of that output, it's a very viable option. You can see from Audioholics' measurements that the group delay and decay of energy when the signal stops is very low no matter how you run the PB13-Ultra DSP. But when you put it in sealed mode, the delay just becomes vanishingly low.

It's a case where you've just got a magnificent driver and amp. It's sort of that simple. It's just fantastic control over the movement of the driver that ultimately creates the best transient response. And it's the transient response that creates the delineation and separation between instruments and notes. You combine that with ridiculously low distortion and you have what you're looking for! It's just that it costs $1700 for the cylinder or $2000 for the box. What folks should realize is just how inexpensive that is for this kind of performance. It's, like, crazy cheap for what you're getting (and includes shipping no less :p ) But it is NOT cheap just in a general sense. It's $2000. But man-oh-man, you honestly do get your money's worth if you're the sort of person who can appreciate nuance and detail in bass.

Personally, I just find it difficult to come down from there. To be perfectly honest, when you spend less on a Plus model or a Rythmik FV15HP (which performance wise is really neck-and-neck with the SVSound ported Plus subs) you barely give up anything - but you do give up just a little something It's so hard to say that the Ultra is worth hundreds of dollars more when it really is so close. But it's just that last, tiny bit, you know? It's that nth degree. And when you're coming at it from the other direction, you start saying to yourself, "well, it's only a few hundred more", y'know? :p

The PC13-Ultra DSP cylinder makes it especially difficult to "settle" for even just a tiny bit less. At $1700, you start thinking "it's only $400 more than the PC12-Plus, only $350 more than the PB12-Plus, only $380 more than the Rythmik FV15HP once you include shipping".

The key though is your room. Because if your room + subwoofer combo is right, a great sealed subwoofer can give you what you're after for a lower price.

So here's my advice - get on the phone and talk with the folks at SVSound, Rythmik and HSU. You'll find helpful people at all three of those companies and folks who really know their stuff. They'll talk with you about your room, your setup, your tastes in music, what you're going to be using this sub for and which of their subs is going to get you to where you want to be with your bass!

But I've gotta warn you, I don't think you're going to find quite what you're looking for for under $1000.

If you've got some way of getting to $1700 for a PC13-Ultra DSP cylinder, then you can certainly get yourself reference level 110+ dB output at and below 20Hz with 5% or lower distortion and minimal group delay - and nothing under $1700 is going to equal that - plain and simple. But if your room and setup allows, a great sealed sub could definitely work for you. Give those companies a call. Then come back here to talk about what they said! But hopefully understand that nobody can perform magic. It does legitimately take more expensive parts and better design to get the kind of performance that you're describing. So if SVSound, Rythmik and HSU are pointing you towards $1000+ subs, they're not lying just to try to get you to spend more money with them. It genuinely does cost more sometimes to get what you really want. And what you're describing? It's the sort of bass that I want too! And for me, I just find it hard to "accept" anything less than an SVS Ultra these days :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
All these subs will sound very good, they will be very sharp, and I think you could use any for mixing. Some might say you can only use sealed subs for mixing, but this is nonsense, there are plenty of studio recording subs that are ported from the likes of Mackie, Genelec, and KRK. I wouldn't get a pro-audio studio sub though, their tuning will be too high.

The DSP protection on the SVS is nice, but you are not likely to bottom out any of these subs. The VTF15h has been shown to bottom out in its max extension mode on sub 20 hz frequencies when played at the very limit of its output in testing, but for home use you are not likely to see that happen unless you playback Tron at maximum volume while using that particular mode. I wouldn't use that mode regardless, you give up a lot of output for not much extension.

Also, contrary to what was said above, dubstep pretty much never hits 20 hz. One of the deepest sounds I can recall hearing in dupstep is that chugging sound in Milaneses' 'Barry Dub', and I think that might be upper 20s to lower 30 hz range. If I was going to buy a sub specifically for dubstep and D'n'B, I wouldn't really worry about output in the low 20 hz range and below. I don't know if it has been mentioned, but a good looking sub for this task would be the Epik Empire. Now that I think about it, this subwoofer shootout would merit your attention, it pits the VTF15h against the Empire and a few others in the $1k range.

To be honest, if I was after a sub in this general price range with loud, deep music as my main priority, and aesthetics a very distant priority, I would take a long look at the Chase SS-18.2. It will have a gargantuan amount of output, and the people who have heard it in action at various shootouts have said it has terrific sound quality as well. At 30 hz and above, I'm pretty sure this thing will have substantially more output than the VTF15h or PB12-Plus, and with two 18" drivers and 950 watts of power, it ought to. It's not going to win any beauty contests, but if you want your speakers to look as intimidating as your music sounds, this definitely fits that bill. It also costs slightly less shipped than the PC12 Plus. For sheer performance at its price point, this would be my first choice.

E

esoteric junkie

Audiophyte
Subs

If you are a DIY guy you might want to consider an infinite baffle system with four 15" subs. Parts Express has IB subs that are within your budget and you will not be able to get this kind of bass from ANY store bought subs.

Esoteric Junkie

D

Djeayzonne

Junior Audioholic
I will make a proper response later, but let me just say I have never heard a set up ever that can accurately produce a Taiko, let alone an actual performance with all the percussion pieces involved. That alone would make a set up worth its weight in gold for me.

On the DIY, yes I would love to get into that sort of thing, especially now that I have a garage!!! Don't have much tools and no experience with that yet though.

I designed and installed my car audio system, but it didn't require any construction or fabrication.

Shady J is right on the dubstep. Most of it is written in E minor, and the bass line usually constructed around the low E, which is 32 Hz I believe.

D

Djeayzonne

Junior Audioholic
You know, I was just looking at Rythmik's site just now.

All there products seem to be based on a basic design.
So, why the rave for the FV12 but not so much for any of the other products?

Also, I just noticed they are based out of Austin. I could do a local pick up. I don't know if that would change anything on recommendations or not...

Last edited:
F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
You know, I was just looking at Rythmik's site just now.

All there products seem to be based on a basic design.
So, why the rave for the FV12 but not so much for any of the other products?
My fondness for the FV12 is simply because of the price point. It's just a matter of comparing it to other subs that are around $500, and also looking at the subs that are less than $500 and, in my personal opinion, thinking that the $500 FV12 is a clear step above anything that costs less, and my personal favorite out of the subs that cost $500-$550. So the FV12 in particular gets a lot of talk because many people are looking for a sub in the lower price range, or they want a pair of subs for $1000 or less :)

When you go up in price, the competition gets stiffer is all. Rythmik's subs are great! But their $1000 subs don't stand out above the rest the way the FV12 stands out above other $500 subs - so that's all it is.

The other bit of a problem is that, right now, due to the past year's flooding and other natural disasters in Asia, several of Rythmik's subs have been on backorder or remain on backorder for the time being. So it's hard to recommend a Rythmik model that isn't available for immediate delivery if someone wants to buy a sub right now.

Also, just speaking for myself, I happen to be a person who favors really loud, genuine reference output capabilities. And I also favor linear extension and linear power response from the subwoofer itself. I would rather tame low end room gain with EQ than be forced to hope that the room gain will be enough to compensate for a low end roll-off. So I far more often wind up favoring ported subs. The price jump from the FV12 to the FV15 and then the FV15HP is sizeable. I think the FV15HP is fantastic! I put it neck-and-neck with the SVSound PB12-Plus DSP. But then you factor in shipping and the FV15HP is actually around $20-$40 more expensive than the PB12-Plus DSP, so again, it's not as clear cut a decision as the $500 FV12.

So it's by no means a case where I don't like Rythmik's other subs. I like their subs a lot! It's just a case where their one, $500 model stands out among the competition, so it's gets more mentions :)

D

Djeayzonne

Junior Audioholic
First,

I just noticed that Rythmik is based in Austin.

I could do a local pickup assuming they had something in stock. I am not sure if that would change any recommendations or not.

Actually, I was kinda thinking about the F25, plus there is a small discount because of the amp:

"We are currently out of H600 amplifiers. We recommend the customers who cannot wait to purchase the version with H550 amplifier instead. The ouput reduction from using H550 is only 0.4db and yet it is $75 less expensive."

On second thought though, in exchange for no shipping charge, I guess I will have to pay sales tax. Hmm....

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Yeah, I haven't heard the F25. I want to! The thing with any large, dual driver, sealed sub is that the box has to be really, really well built. Otherwise, you end up with something like Axiom's big EP800 that colors the sound with all kinds of cabinet noise. There's no way around using a pretty big box when you do a dual driver setup, so it had better be very well designed and built to avoid distortion and noise!

I actually think it's weird that we don't see sealed cylinder subs (other than putting one of SVSound's cylinder subs into "sealed mode" with the port plugs. The geometric shape of a cylinder makes it much more suitable to withstanding the pressures inside a sealed sub than a box. And if the box is going to be tall and huge anyway, who really cares if it's round instead of square, right?

Anywho, if you stick with the good brands (internet direct or otherwise) and you get upwards of $1000 plus, you're pretty much certain to get a very good sub no matter which of those particular brands you choose! I've got my personal favorites, everybody does! But I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at almost any of them. I happen to think that SVSound is making the best subs that they've ever made and I really like their new focus and the way they're handling their business right now, so I'm a fan at the moment. Those Sledge amps really are quite spectacular and they provide features that you just don't get with other subs at the same price - often not at all regardless of price. They measure great, they sound great, you can't damage or break them and they've got great features built in for very competitive prices. So what's not to love? But that doesn't mean they'll be on top, or my personal top choice forever. They certainly didn't use to be when they never had anything in stock! And it could very well be a company like Rythmik that overtakes them at some point because the folks over at Rythmik are very dedicated and really know their stuff and want to continue to improve!

There's no magic. But there is a heck of a lot of hard work and some extremely skillful engineering going on. Companies like Elemental Designs make their business work with very "meat and potatoes" no nonsense subwoofer designs and components. But sooner or later, I think they're going to have to step up their game if they want to remain competitive. It's pretty vicious in the subwoofer world. And you've got a giant of the industry in Velodyne now as an internet direct company, which could very well change the landscape.

But the good news is that all of the fierce competition has led to some of the very best subwoofers ever made! And they're being sold for rather ridiculously low prices when you compare what it would have cost for the same performance a number of years ago - if such performance was even available at all! It's actually easier than ever to get what you want in a subwoofer these days. It DOES still come with the need to pay a higher price if you really want the best performance possible. But I think that's totally fair when it's still a price that's within reach of "normal" people :)

D

Djeayzonne

Junior Audioholic
Well, after all the discussion here and reads elsewhere, I just placed an order for the SVS PC 13 Ultra. God I hope its worth it. I don't just mean the sub itself, I also mean that my neighbors won't complain and thus can't really enjoy it.

D

Djeayzonne

Junior Audioholic
Oh, also, do I need anything else for the room, like one of those subdudes and other room treatments?

Not sure if I mentioned before, but room is upstairs. Carpet with thick, upgraded pad, wood subfloor. Exterior wall insulation in all walls and floors (this is the builder's 'sound deadening' upgrade they sold me but I doubt the exterior wall insulation will really do much).

J

jjackkrash

Audioholic Intern
Wow, talk about an upsell! :eek:

I am sure you'll love that sub, but your concern about the neighbors is a justifiable one. :)

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
I love me some decoupling! :D

So you'll never hear me say that decoupling your sub with an Auralex SubDude or GRAMMA is a bad idea. At worst, it won't really do anything. If your carpet and carpet pad are enough to decouple your sub already, then adding a SubDude/GRAMMA won't really do anything. But, at best, it makes a VERY noticeable difference - especially in other rooms of the house or for neighboring homes/apartments.

The PC13-Ultra is pretty heavy, but not as heavy as the box version. There's still a good chance though that over a bit of time, the weight will be enough to compress your carpet and carpet pad beneath the sub's "feet". Ultimately, that will couple the subwoofer to your floor's structure, at which point, the sub certainly has enough energy to start shaking your entire house in sympathy!

Personally, I always use a SubDude or GRAMMA isolation riser no matter what. At $50, I consider it a "no brainer" and just expect to include it with any sub purchase ;)

For the cylinder subs, the 15" x 15" SubDude works because the "feet" of the cylinder sub can rest on the corners of the SubDude, or you can just remove the "feet" and have the entire base of the sub lay flat on the SubDude platform.

If you don't want to spend the money right away though because you're not sure if the SubDude will offer you any benefit, here's something you can do:

Try the sub as normal - standing up, placed directly on your floor. Play some heavy bass and see if you get any audible rattles or shaking from your home. Now try laying the sub on its side. That will spread out its weight a lot more. And with a thick carpet pad, you should get some pretty decent decoupling. See how it sounds now. If it sounds noticeably different, or you get noticeably fewer rattles and shakes, then you know that decoupling will make a difference when the sub is standing upright and you should go ahead and buy yourself a SubDude!

You can also throw some folded up blankets under the sub (you'd probably only want to do this with it on its side, just for stability's sake. To further decouple the sub and see if it makes a difference.

And man-oh-man, am I ever happy for you! :D You're about to hear bass like you've never heard it before in your home. Often, I worry about going into hyperbole and overhyping what a sub is going to do. Not this time! This time, believe the hype, 'cause this is more than what $1700 ought to be able to buy you. This is deep, clean, glorious bass.

For certain, once you've played with the basics of decoupling and some "crawling for bass", really take the time to dial in this sub. It's worth it! Get on the phone with SVSound and let them help you as much as they can with the setup. They know their stuff over there and they'll be a very good resource!

But yeah, you've got a real treat coming your way!

Congrats! I really can't say that enough. I cannot wait to read your impressions! You BETTER come back here with a review! :D

H

homwerk

Audioholic Intern
Well, after all the discussion here and reads elsewhere, I just placed an order for the SVS PC 13 Ultra. God I hope its worth it. I don't just mean the sub itself, I also mean that my neighbors won't complain and thus can't really enjoy it.
Congrats on your puchase!!! Please keep us updated with how everything turns out. I am in a similar sized room and can't decide between the PC12-NSD and the PC13-Ultra. Maybe your review will sway me :D

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
GREAT CHOICE & CONGRATS!!!

Yep your gonna be getting some rediculously great clean bass. Remember though that it needs time to break-in!!! Dont judge it right off the bat. Give it time & put time into placing it in the best spot possible & EQing a little if you can &/or need to.

Dont worry about being disappointed in fact i think it will be much better than your anticipating!! :)

Homwerk: get the ULTRA!!!...seriously! Why not get the best if your already just a couple hundred away already with the Plus. Then you wont worry what "could have been".

H

homwerk

Audioholic Intern
GREAT CHOICE & CONGRATS!!!

Yep your gonna be getting some rediculously great clean bass. Remember though that it needs time to break-in!!! Dont judge it right off the bat. Give it time & put time into placing it in the best spot possible & EQing a little if you can &/or need to.

Dont worry about being disappointed in fact i think it will be much better than your anticipating!! :)

Homwerk: get the ULTRA!!!...seriously! Why not get the best if your already just a couple hundred away already with the Plus. Then you wont worry what "could have been".
Thanks, Timoteo! Actually, I am thinking of skipping the plus altogether!!

My decision is now between the PC12-NSD, which would fit my system (363's) and room size (1700cu/ft), or the PC13-Ultra, which borderlines on the ridiculous for my room size.

I'm dumb.. I wake up one day and I am all for getting the PC12-NSD. It's more than enough (I tell myself). Then I read that stupid (amazing) Audioholics review of the PC13-Ultra by Josh Ricci and I start thinking how great it must sound. Then I read posts like the ones from FR and it only amplifies how much I want to get the Ultra.

Heck, sometimes I decide I should jump straight to the JTR Captivator or the Seaton SubmersiveHP. Actually, my fiance doesn't like the size of the Captivator :(. She thinks the SubM is pretty but I talk myself out of that one a little easier as it's quite a bit more expensive than even the Ultra.

Anyway, out of all the subs I have shown her so far, she likes the look of the cylinder subs the best. The problem with my fiance is she doesn't care how much money I spend (as long as they aren't ugly)... The good news is she said when we buy our next house I can make one of the rooms my dedicated HT room, and I don't have to worry about how they look. That's when I will get two SubM's per corner and play them so loud it shakes her shirt off!!!

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
She doesnt care how much you spend!!!?????? MARRY HER NOW BEFORE SHE GETS TO KNOW YOU BETTER!!!!! hahahaha jk....

There is no such thing as too much sub. Think about what you JUST said. If you had a dedicated HT you would have 2SubM per corner. I know you were joking but seriously, you could get amazing bass with an Ultra in your current location!! Then if you DO get a dedicated room later you wont have to sell the Ultra to get something better like you would have to do if you got the NSD. All you would have to do is get 3 more Ultras to have all 4 corners covered & you be set for good. (if there is such a thing)

IF!!! You can afford the Ultra then dont even think about the NSD. Thats my opinion which of course doesnt matter.

Would the NSD be good in your room? Yes is it future proof? No will you wonder what the Ultra would have sounded like if you got the NSD? Yes.

Its your call but dont over think it :)

Ultraaaa(in a faint whisper voice)

D

Djeayzonne

Junior Audioholic
Hey guys, quick update.

I finally set up the Paradigms with the Onkyo 809. I haven't set up the center yet cause I don't have anywhere put it just yet.

So just the monitor 11's and the ADP390's. It took a few hours to start breaking in a bit, but the mid-bass is excellent so far!!! Almost don't need a sub!!! Seriously, except for low bass of dubstep and of course movies.

All I can say so far is wow. No calibration yet, and just listening to Pandora though the built-in app. Pretty sweet.

D

Djeayzonne

Junior Audioholic
The ultra has shipped.

Will definitely review. It is the least I could do after getting so much help from everybody!

D

Djeayzonne

Junior Audioholic
Hey guys,

Already have a problem before the sub is even here. Wife already complaining about the thump she hear when she is in the master just from the monitor 11s. Is there anything I can to control sound getting out of the room, or is too late since the room is already finished?

J

jjackkrash

Audioholic Intern
Hey guys,

Already have a problem before the sub is even here. Wife already complaining about the thump she hear when she is in the master just from the monitor 11s. Is there anything I can to control sound getting out of the room, or is too late since the room is already finished?
Wait till that ported monster arrives. :eek: I am usually relegated to watching or listening loudly when no one else is home or on special occasions and have the sub off most of the time. I'm all ears if anyone has some solutions short of building a cone of silence.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis