J

James NM

Audioholic
I need some help getting my HT components connected to the net.

Here's my setup. I live outside the city limits, and get my internet via a proprietary wireless broadband device. The device is located in my shop, which is approximately 150 feet from my HT setup in my house. The broadband device is currently connected to the PC in my office via an ethernet cable. I currently have no internet service in my house.

AFAIK, some of my components (Denon 4310) would like an ethernet connection, while some (PS3 Slim) would like WiFi. I guess a router in my shop connected to my broadband device via ethernet would broadcast a wireless internet signal, that I could then capture in my house with a multiport bridge is what I need??? Could the PS3 connect via WiFi to the router in the shop? Is the distance involved (150') an issue? Is there a better way to do it? Does anyone have any particular brand recommendations?

One more thing: There is a corner of a metal building between my shop and the HT in my house. Is this a problem?

Appreciate and help or suggestions,

James

Z

Zaluss

Audioholic
This should be feasable. Can you run at 150' cable from your shop?

B

bhodge

Junior Audioholic
The simple answer is yes you can but it can get complicated quite fast.

What you need is a bridge (as you correctly stated) to connect your house and office together. In your office, you need to share your internet connection wirelessly with your house. To do that you can either buy a wireless router OR you can buy a 2nd wireless card for your computer and share your computers ethernet connection through it. Of the 2 options, the router is the easiest to setup, maintain, add additional devices in your office, and move around (and not that much more expensive)...you might already have one but didnt see it in your post.

The wireless bridge will be installed in your house and connect to your router/computer in your office. Then all of your devices can simply plug into the bridge.

This all works find and dandy if wireless connection can transmit/receive over your 150 distance with obstacles in the way and honestly the only way to know is to try. The simple test would be to setup your router in the office and then try to connect to it via a wireless device in your house. Then check the signal strength. For wireless b and g connections the range is ~120ft indoors, 300 ft outside (no obstructions) so you are probably close to your range considering you have a metal building in the way. however, N class routers can easily double those distances, but is more expensive.

If the signal is weak you can install a wireless range extender which simply acts similar to a repeater, but not sure if you can do that between your house and office.

Keep in mind that the class of wireless device you buy needs to be compatible with the wireless devices you want to connect on your network. For example if your laptop has a class g wireless connection, it would not be able to connect to a class n router.

There is custom firmware (if you dare to explore) which increases the range of b/g routers called tomato: http://lifehacker.com/344765/turn-your-60-router-into-a-user+friendly-super+router-with-tomato
Just make sure if think you want to try this out that you get a router that is compatible.

As far as brands go, I think for a novice Linksys is probably your best/easiest route. And remember its probably best that the router and bridge are made from the same company. If its not, it won't always work (even though it should).

Good luck!

J

James NM

Audioholic
bhodge, thanks for the very informative post.

I live in a rural area, and it's about a 250 mile round trip to get to the closest city that has retailers that have such equipment. If you can't get it at Kmart, you can't get it here.

So it sounds like a class N router is the way to go, as it should be able to handle the distance/obstacles involved. I had no idea what the different classes meant. And since I'm starting from scratch, sure makes sense to buy same brand of router/bridge to avoid problems.

Another question: Is a "bridge" the same thing as a "network switch"?

B

bhodge

Junior Audioholic
I live in a rural area, and it's about a 250 mile round trip to get to the closest city that has retailers that have such equipment. If you can't get it at Kmart, you can't get it here.
I would think mail order from amazon, newegg, or similar online retailer might be the best option for you although Kmart might have all you need

So it sounds like a class N router is the way to go, as it should be able to handle the distance/obstacles involved. I had no idea what the different classes meant.
Classes refer to the protocol used in transmission as well as the hardware that composes the router. Typically the higher the letter the higher the standard (distance, speed, etc). Here's a wiki page on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11

Another question: Is a "bridge" the same thing as a "network switch"?
Yes and no. In your case the answer is no, you need to make sure you buy a wireless bridge to connect your shop/office to your house. if you are up for a little light reading you can go here for exact details (although I don't think it will help answer your question) http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/internetworking/technology/handbook/Bridging-Basics.html
But for marketing reasons you just need to make sure you get a wireless bridge. Here is a link to linksys's bridges (they have one N and one G)
http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/Bridges

Bridges typically have 1 ethernet port, so you need to connect that to a switch.

Your basic setup will be router in shop, connects to wireless bridge in house, which is connected to a 8 port switch (any size will work for you), which all of your devices plug into. I would suggest your router and wireless bridge be the same brand (not necessary, but you might run into headaches if you don't) but the switch can be anything.

Important thing to remember is a wireless bridge does not give you wireless access in your house, it simply connects the shop and house wirelessly. If you want to have wireless access in your house you need to get a wireless access point. However, if you are going with a class N router, and your devices in your house can connect to an N router then those devices should be able to connect just fine. The bridge is necessary only to connect devices with only an ethernet port (no wireless).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis