Hsu VTF-3 MK3 vs. the SVS PB12-NSD or SB12-Plus

W

wyllisx1

Junior Audioholic
Any thoughts as to which would be a better fit?

My room is about 2400 ft. 95% HT.

I haven't decided on the rest of the speaker setup yet but for now will be running through my Yamaha rxv430.

Is there a fair comparison between the 3 other than similar pricing. The specs seem to favor the Hsu over the Sv's resulting in more Boom for the Buck.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Budget...?

I think all those subs are great...

If your looking for more in the less then 20hz, LF effects... I would rule out the SB-12... sealed box and the extension is a bit high..

W

wyllisx1

Junior Audioholic
The $700.00 for the Hsu is a little more than I wanted too spend but I am willing to go that high.

Getting below 20hz would be nice.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The SB-12 Plus is also $700... I agree, stick with one of the other two for what you are looking for, and either is capable of below 20Hz performance in the typical room.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
The $700.00 for the Hsu is a little more than I wanted too spend but I am willing to go that high.

Getting below 20hz would be nice.
Well If you want to go below 20hz, then sometimes you have to up the ante to do so... Most people find here that both the SVS and HSU are great subs..
I found that the SVS had a bit better finish, but priced a bit more...
and the HSU is probably the real Bang for the Buck sub...

I don't think you can go wrong.. once you get a good quality sub, you'll wonder why you didn't spend more earlier... :)
I spent 2 times what your thinking here, and after I did that, I will probably spend twice what I did this time... Good low bass is addicting..

W

wyllisx1

Junior Audioholic
Thanks guys I think it's going to be the Hsu.

Can't wait to have to go the trouble of adjusting the china in the hutch & making the neighboor upstairs listen to the beat of my music.:D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've owned subs from both SVS and HSU. You won't be disappointed with either of them :)

W

wyllisx1

Junior Audioholic
I've ordered the Hsu VTF-3 MK3. Now the hardest part has started.... the waiting.:)

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
wooooo hooooooo.... Let the Fun begin... :)

thats where it all starts... the first order....

I just ordered a Velodyne SMS-1..... Got an awesome deal, a touch more then half price... :)

Can't wait to start tweakin..... :)

Warp

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
warp, that will be the best subwoofer upgrade you could have done*

*depends on how crappy your sub location is

W

wyllisx1

Junior Audioholic
Oh the pain. Delivery attempted & no-one home.
I was hoping to be crawling around the living room this weekend but FedEx tried to deliver today. :mad: I was home yesterday. The next delivery date-Monday, oh yeah I'll be at work. After that Tuesady.. me working!:mad:

Fotunately the FedEx depot is fairly close to home. Hopefully they will pull it off the truck & I'll bring the 90lb behemoth home myself. Monday night will be spent crawling...:D

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
warp, that will be the best subwoofer upgrade you could have done*

*depends on how crappy your sub location is
Actually my setup where my sub was, I got an OK bass responce...
But Im really way to lazy to do more charting, so I figured, I would buy the SMS and I could watch it in real time and fiddle with it all the time....

From what I remember when I started plotting I had a 10db boost at 40-50hz and a drop mid 20's.... But I moved the sub from the corner behind the plasma,
and I never tested it after that.... Bass sounds amazing, but I will soon see how bad it is next week.... :)

P.S. Willisx1, can't wait to hear your thoughts on your new sub... again congrats, and sorry to hear about the Fedx dilemma
Warp

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
Oh the pain. Delivery attempted & no-one home.
I was hoping to be crawling around the living room this weekend but FedEx tried to deliver today. :mad: I was home yesterday. The next delivery date-Monday, oh yeah I'll be at work. After that Tuesady.. me working!:mad:

Fotunately the FedEx depot is fairly close to home. Hopefully they will pull it off the truck & I'll bring the 90lb behemoth home myself. Monday night will be spent crawling...:D
When I ordered my SVS, I went through the same exact thing. I followed the tracking, and it arrived late on a Friday at the local hub, but it wasnt scheduled for home delivery until Monday.

Needless to say..... I drove down to the hub and picked it up myself. LOL

Ahhh yes, that "friday night movie night" was a memorable one indeed!!

W

wyllisx1

Junior Audioholic
1st reaction wow that is big. Bigger than I expected. 2nd reaction it's beautiful:)

3rd reaction Yeah the kids want to go get a movie to try it out in.... a 50 year old Godzilla movie...didn't happen. After 1/2 an hour in Blockbuster we got Big Trouble in Little China. Old but at least it's 4.1... Followed the setup guide & got it fired up. A little tweaking here & there & woah better turn the volume down. :cool:

Haven't had the chance to really calibrate it yet especially since a SLR is new to me but that's for tomorrow. For now I popped in Stargate since 1 son fell asleep & we'll watch the rented movie tomorrow.

Man the only time the grin has been off my face was when I was loading it into the car & carrying it into the condo.

Crawling for sound is on tap for tomorrow night.;)

Had the first reaction from the girlfriend, she hasn't seen it yet. Oh yeah how did you pay for it??? That much I wouldn't spend that for a whole system.:rolleyes:

Didn't even have to bring up the "how much did you say you paid for that butt ugly pocketbook?" ;)

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Congrats... maybe you can post some pics...

It really is one of the greatest pieces you can add to your system...

W

wyllisx1

Junior Audioholic
Couldn't be happier. :D

Since I live in a condo can't really let it rip too much. My 9 year old son is waiting for that though he seems to think at full power it just might vibrate him off the floor. I know if won't do it but......what's the harm in testing it. Just have to wait for a day when the neighbors are out.

Also haven't had the chance to try it with the second port plug pulled.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Couldn't be happier. :D

Since I live in a condo can't really let it rip too much. My 9 year old son is waiting for that though he seems to think at full power it just might vibrate him off the floor. I know if won't do it but......what's the harm in testing it. Just have to wait for a day when the neighbors are out.

Also haven't had the chance to try it with the second port plug pulled.
I hear ya. I watch when my next door neighbor leaves and then I turn my set-up up to reference levels. Most of the time she is not gone too long. Every now and then she is gone all day and I really jam it out....LOL!!!!:D :D I reside in a mobile home and my next door neighbor is rather close. The good thing is at times I crank it a bit when she is at home and never had a complaint. Guess she must be hard of hearing or something. One thing I do, however, is NEVER EVER play my set-up loudly late at night nor early of the morning. So far, it is working for me. At least I have not been told to move............yet!!!!!!:eek: :eek:

W

wyllisx1

Junior Audioholic
Anyone remeber in the classic movies & tv shows how women would have the kids sit still while they were baking a cake? Supposedly the motion would make the cake collapse.

Well I don't know if kids running around would actually do that.....

However, cranking up your subwoofer to max volume while baking an angelfood cake does make the cake collapse..:mad::D:D:D:D:D

Well the kids got freaked out when the big dog started to really WOOF!

Sorry no pix. Lost the digital camera & figure the money is better spent on the HT project than getting a camera I only use twice a year.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis