Hsu Research VTF-15H MK2 & VTF-3 MK5 HP Subwoofer Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Hsu Research has been building high value subwoofers for more than two decades, so they had our attention when they announced their new VTF-15H MK2 and VTF-3 MK5 HP. On paper, these new models are quite similar. Both feature a 15" fiberglass reinforced driver and 600W RMS continuous rated amplifier. In terms of pricing, the VTF-15H MK2 weighs in at $1,008 shipped, while the VTF-3 MK5 HP undercuts its big brother slightly at $898 shipped. Based on preliminary HSU CEA-2010 test data, both of these new subs seem qualified for our Extreme Bassaholic rating which is quite a technological feat at this price class.

Read the Hsu Research VTF-15H MK2 & VTF-3 MK5 HP Subwoofer Preview

Are you ready to go Extreme with HSU? Share your thoughts if you have or want these subs.

N

nickboros

Audioholic
There is no mention in the preview that the VTF -15H MK2 can have both ports plugged so that it is a sealed design. The first generation VTF - 15H had this feature. I wonder if Hsu decided to not have this feature in the new model. It would be great to have this much adjustment from variable tuning, changing the Q and output at these price points.

I too am excited to see some reviews. I find the current subwoofer market to be amazing for customers. All of these internet direct companies (SVS, Powersound Audio, Rythmik, Hsu) keep trying to outdo each other and we keep getting more and more performance in the $800 to $1200 price range.

K

Kevin_Hsu

Audiophyte
There is no mention in the preview that the VTF -15H MK2 can have both ports plugged so that it is a sealed design. The first generation VTF - 15H had this feature. I wonder if Hsu decided to not have this feature in the new model. It would be great to have this much adjustment from variable tuning, changing the Q and output at these price points.
Hi nickboros,

The VTF-15H Mk2 and VTF-3 Mk5 HP will both have the ability to run sealed.

Sincerely,
Kevin

S

swspiers

Audioholic
These subs seriously have my attention. Price to performance seems almost too good to be true...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It looks like the VTF3 mk5 will have an advantage in either mode, and the kind of advantage can change based on what mode you run the VTF3 in, ie if you want more 25 to 30 Hz output, run it in two ports mode, or if you want deeper extension, run it in one port mode. It doesn't look like the VTF3 mk5 will give up anything to the XV15se in either mode. Basically it is a higher performer.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
These subs seriously have my attention. Price to performance seems almost too good to be true...
Agreed. The performance seems almost lockstep with the SVS Ultra, but at nearly half the price.

Matt34

Matt34

The HSU VTF-15 Mk1 was an excellent sub in it's own right, I miss my duals, but they are too big for my current room.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
How does the MK5 match up against PSA's XV15se?
Let's put things into context here the VTF15 is ~30% bigger hence their advantage...size wise the XV15se resembles some of the 12" ported designs out there. Some folk(myself included) don't care much for huge subs like the VTF15-H, FV15HP or PB13U of which all 3 are about 35% bigger than the XV15SE.

It's nice to see ID companies like the aforementioned stay on the leading edge of technology & pushing the envelope with respect to performance while keeping cost down.

I have no reason to doubt the MK2 will be an outstanding value...looking forward to reading any pending 3rd party reviews in the coming weeks & months.

Last edited:
A

Al white

Audiophyte
These look to have some serious bang for the buck potential! Do we know when they will start taking orders and shipping these beasts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
These look to have some serious bang for the buck potential! Do we know when they will start taking orders and shipping these beasts?
You can order them now. They are due to start shipping next week. They would have already started shipping but the inventory became held up in customs thanks to a dockworkers strike. If you order them, your credit card will not be billed until they ship.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Let's put things into context here the VTF15 is ~30% bigger hence their advantage...size wise the XV15se resembles some of the 12" ported designs out there. Some folk(myself included) don't care much for huge subs like the VTF15-H, FV15HP or PB13U of which all 3 are about 35% bigger than the XV15SE.

It's nice to see ID companies like the aforementioned stay on the leading edge of technology & pushing the envelope with respect to performance while keeping cost down.

I have no reason to doubt the MK2 will be an outstanding value...looking forward to reading any pending 3rd party reviews in the coming weeks & months.
Agreed size is a factor here. I'm really looking to go to dual subs, but I'd only be able to bury these in a corner. I'd been looking at the SVS cylinder options for minimum footprint/maximum placement options. The SVS may, and I say "may" until we verify the output numbers, have less output for more money, but they have a serious space savings at only 16.5" round compared to 18x26.

...and on the fence I sit.

Matt34

Matt34

Agreed size is a factor here. I'm really looking to go to dual subs, but I'd only be able to bury these in a corner. I'd been looking at the SVS cylinder options for minimum footprint/maximum placement options. The SVS may, and I say "may" until we verify the output numbers, have less output for more money, but they have a serious space savings at only 16.5" round compared to 18x26.

...and on the fence I sit.
I'm in the same boat as far as space limitations, but another option to consider is the RBH SX-1010n (passive). If you have an amp already, I may know a guy that can hook you up with one for a pretty fair price.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

I'm in the same boat as far as space limitations, but another option to consider is the RBH SX-1010n (passive). If you have an amp already, I may know a guy that can hook you up with one for a pretty fair price.
I'd need 2 :) I'm going to be going hands-on with some RBH speakers soon. I'll definitely keep their subs in mind.

sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Audiophyte
Just curious...

Was there an official review of these 2 units?
Can I assume the "Bassaholic Extreme certification" for both?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Just curious...

Was there an official review of these 2 units?
Can I assume the "Bassaholic Extreme certification" for both?
There was never an official review. However, I do have my hands on a VTF15h mk2 and have been using it to explore different aspect of subwoofer testing. We might publish some of those results in a future article that delves into the meaning of the measurements, but that will be down the road, probably next year sometime. The article will not be about the VTF15h mk2 though, we only use its performance to look at certain things, so it is not going to be a review.

However, I think the VTF3 mk5 would merit an Extreme room size rating. I know the VTF15h mk2 does for sure.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis