HSU price is misleading

D

Defcon

Audioholic
I don't mean this in a negative way as I'm sure anyone looking to spend this much on a sub is aware of this. Its just that there are only a few players in the ID sub segment and HSU for some reason (perhaps being one of the oldest) is a bit unique.

e.g if someone is interested in <$1k subs they might look at the VTF3-MK5 which is a fantastic performer. But its not really $800.

You have to add ~$200 for the shipping and amp warranty (2 years warranty is not good and not the industry norm, esp for a BASH amp), which brings it straight into the $1k segment. And HSU happens to be in a big state so a lot more people get hit with tax too.

There's also no free trial period again unlike SVS, RA, PSA etc. Some say 'free' is built into the cost of other subs but thats just a few $, not hundreds it'd cost you to ship it back.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I don't mean this in a negative way as I'm sure anyone looking to spend this much on a sub is aware of this. Its just that there are only a few players in the ID sub segment and HSU for some reason (perhaps being one of the oldest) is a bit unique.

e.g if someone is interested in <$1k subs they might look at the VTF3-MK5 which is a fantastic performer. But its not really $800.

You have to add ~$200 for the shipping and amp warranty (2 years warranty is not good and not the industry norm, esp for a BASH amp), which brings it straight into the $1k segment. And HSU happens to be in a big state so a lot more people get hit with tax too.

There's also no free trial period again unlike SVS, RA, PSA etc. Some say 'free' is built into the cost of other subs but thats just a few $, not hundreds it'd cost you to ship it back.
I just recently purchased a B-stock ULS-15 MK2 sub and did NOT pay sales tax. Yes, I had to pay for shipping. Also knew going in that I could NOT return the ULS-15 MK2 sub even if I wanted to. That is, all B-stock sales are FINAL! Lastly, I would NEVER send a 15" sub back due to shipping costs. Just waiting on another B-stock so I can get my second one. If there is NOT one soon, then I will order a new one!

Cheers,

Phil

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
My 15" DIY Ultimax cost me $465 and that includes the free shipping and the lack of sales tax. I took a couple of hours to assemble but it will outperform any 12" sub I've ever heard. Give it some thought.

D

Defcon

Audioholic
My 15" DIY Ultimax cost me $465 and that includes the free shipping and the lack of sales tax. I took a couple of hours to assemble but it will outperform any 12" sub I've ever heard. Give it some thought.
I am waiting for PartsExpress UM18 bundle to come back in stock, from what I've read that is going to be hard to beat for value. Did you built the cabinet yourself or use a flatpack?

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I am waiting for PartsExpress UM18 bundle to come back in stock, from what I've read that is going to be hard to beat for value. Did you built the cabinet yourself or use a flatpack?

I used a flat pack. I would have gone for the 18 as well if it had been available at the time. You can buy stuffing really cheaply at Walmart. I used a 300W plate amp in mine.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hsu is still one of the best, if not the best, values in subwoofers at the moment, even after shipping, tax, and extended warranty. Extremely good designs and performance for the price. I like what Rythmik and Reaction Audio is doing at the $1k price point too. I would not say Hsu pricing is misleading. With the exception of extended warranty, which isn't a big deal, its all right there on the product page.

D

Defcon

Audioholic
Perhaps my title is misleading. But HSU is definitely unique and a little wierd - they compete with the other ID companies on product and compete very well, but everything about them is like the other audio companies - no free shipping, trials, lower warranties.

I'm sure they are not hurting for business, but I wonder if they became a little more modern would it be better?

I was going to get a VTF3, but adding all 3 surcharges puts it over 1k. Then I started looking at RA Echo 15, but they make you wait 1-2 months and charge you now, which I don't condone. So both of these companies are out for me for now :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Those are the most powerful subs you can get at those prices. If their policies bother you, look at Rythmik Audio. The Rythmik FVX15 may not have quite as much output, but I think it can come close and it is less than $1k shipped I believe.

S

Sal1950

Audioholic Intern
Whether or not you pay sales tax on any internet purchase depends on the home state of the seller and the home state of the purchaser. All legal sellers have to follow the laws to which they are suspect. Hsu is located in CA and has to collect state sales tax for all sales to buyers also living in the state of CA. No one else would be charged tax by them.

By the way I have a Hsu Research 5.2 surround system with 2 STF-2 subs. Just awesome with both music and movies, I love it!

Before that I purchased 2 of Dr Hsu's first HRSW12s in the very early 1990s, 7 ft tall cylinders that were highly efficient and delivered bass into my listening room well below 20hz. With over 250 wpc driving them they were the only thing I could find back in the day that could integrate and keep reasonably up with my Klipsch LaScalas. I wasn't very popular with the neighbors. LOL
Dr Hse is an audio engineering genius.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Those are the most powerful subs you can get at those prices. If their policies bother you, look at Rythmik Audio. The Rythmik FVX15 may not have quite as much output, but I think it can come close and it is less than $1k shipped I believe.
All of Rythmiks 15" subs are well over 1k. Just too much for my budget. Not sure about the OP.

Cheers,

Phil

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Perhaps my title is misleading. But HSU is definitely unique and a little wierd - they compete with the other ID companies on product and compete very well, but everything about them is like the other audio companies - no free shipping, trials, lower warranties.

I'm sure they are not hurting for business, but I wonder if they became a little more modern would it be better?

I was going to get a VTF3, but adding all 3 surcharges puts it over 1k. Then I started looking at RA Echo 15, but they make you wait 1-2 months and charge you now, which I don't condone. So both of these companies are out for me for now :)
While I am not huge fan of some of PSA's marketing/promotional style, even ShadyJ will admit that ex-SVS top-engineer could muster a decent sub or two :)
Plus they seem to stop comparing 15v to other vendors subs, which is big plus in my book.
New 15V is below sweet $1k price point, full free ship/return, made in usa and full 5 year warranty.
It's measurement doesn't suck either.
http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/15v

D

Defcon

Audioholic
Perhaps the 'over 1k' comment was for the FV15HP ? I think the FV15 looks like a good option, but its strange how the Rhythmik never really gets mentioned here or at AVS along with the usual suspects we all know.

I am considering the PSA 15V. Another option is the SVS PB-2000, I know it is not really in the same class as the others mentioned here, but Svs has a nice sale going on in their outlet, this morning I saw a few PB-2000's for $650. How does it compare to the 1K subs, is there going to be any audible difference at moderate listening levels? I don't listen at reference level.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
PB2000 may suit you just fine, but it's not just about power, it's also about bass extension and ability to pressurise room - which depends on it's total volume. since I didn't notice you mentioned it's size, I can't tell you if pb2000 would work for you or not, but no one ever said - my subs(s) is just too powerful, well maybe except this guy: http://www.basspig.com/ :)

1AGOFST

1AGOFST

Audioholic Intern
I just received my HSU VTF-3 MK5. I considered other brands, and really struggled with the lack of free return shipping. Even with shipping, it was an amazing price point for this sub. I was first looking at SVS PB-2000 but came to the conclusion that my 4500 cu ft room would be too big. Lets just say that the box was tossed out with the garbage today and have no intention of looking back. This thing is a beast!!! Never once thought they were misleading......everything is up front so you know what you are getting into. Now, my next purchase WILL be the SVS Ultra Towers and center......can't wait

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Perhaps the 'over 1k' comment was for the FV15HP ? I think the FV15 looks like a good option, but its strange how the Rhythmik never really gets mentioned here or at AVS along with the usual suspects we all know.

I am considering the PSA 15V. Another option is the SVS PB-2000, I know it is not really in the same class as the others mentioned here, but Svs has a nice sale going on in their outlet, this morning I saw a few PB-2000's for $650. How does it compare to the 1K subs, is there going to be any audible difference at moderate listening levels? I don't listen at reference level.
Yes, I was referring to the sealed 15" Rythmik subs. So my bad for NOT being specific in my post. I apologize for any confusion. Was just trying to be of help.

Cheers,

Phil

D

Defcon

Audioholic
PB2000 may suit you just fine, but it's not just about power, it's also about bass extension and ability to pressurise room - which depends on it's total volume. since I didn't notice you mentioned it's size, I can't tell you if pb2000 would work for you or not, but no one ever said - my subs(s) is just too powerful, well maybe except this guy: http://www.basspig.com/ :)
My living room is ~1600 cu.ft but there are openings to kitchen and hallway etc so effective area to pressurize is larger, can't really guess how much.

I know I should get the most sub but I am in an apt, so have to consider that and keep my expectations reasonable.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I just received my HSU VTF-3 MK5. I considered other brands, and really struggled with the lack of free return shipping. Even with shipping, it was an amazing price point for this sub. I was first looking at SVS PB-2000 but came to the conclusion that my 4500 cu ft room would be too big. Lets just say that the box was tossed out with the garbage today and have no intention of looking back. This thing is a beast!!! Never once thought they were misleading......everything is up front so you know what you are getting into. Now, my next purchase WILL be the SVS Ultra Towers and center......can't wait
Wow! That is a BIG room. Any plans to go duals? I just recently purchased a B-stock ULS-15 MK2 and will be ordering another one soon. Congrats on your purchase. Got any pics to share?

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
My living room is ~1600 cu.ft but there are openings to kitchen and hallway etc so effective area to pressurize is larger, can't really guess how much.

I know I should get the most sub but I am in an apt, so have to consider that and keep my expectations reasonable.
Hey, I can easily relate to the apartment thing. But, I am still going with duals and mine is smaller than yours....LOL!!!! Best of luck in your decision.

Cheers,

Phil

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis