N

Nightstang00

Enthusiast
I recently bought the hsu center speaker hc1 mk2. I didn't anticipate the size of it. It takes up most of my entertainment center. I am ok with keeping it although I'm concerned with matching the front speakers to it since I would like to stay in the same brand. The hsu fronts are large also and I don't have the room and can't do floor standing speakers. I'm debating on returning it, and getting a smaller center or seeing if there are any other fronts that I could use even if they were different brands. Any advice?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Could you do wall mounts for the L/R speakers?

Dan Madden

Dan Madden

Audioholic
I always advise people to buy the biggest center channel speaker you can afford, preferably one that uses the SAME size and same model of drivers as your mains. This is to insure that you have a seamless wall of sound coming from the front of your system. In a perfect world, even your surrounds should be the same too.

N

Nightstang00

Enthusiast
Could you do wall mounts for the L/R speakers?
Yes, that's currently how I have it now. I tried to upload a picture but it's to large of a file. I reached out to hsu, they said to mount theirs and buy a special mount (pinpoint aa40) my only concern with that is the walkway into the living room is along that wall. I can't have something more then 8 inches sticking out which is what it is now. The picture would do more explanation then me lol

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Upload your picture to Imgur. After it uploads, under sizes choose "Large thumbnail". Then copypaste the BBCode into your reply. Boom. Pictures ought to be embedded, not attached.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Aw snap, that's a very fine center How's it sound?

If you like it, keep it! From your description, it sounds like you're going to be concerned with any mains that stick out farther than your satellites you currently have. That's a bit of a problem, as upgrading your satellites for more satellites isn't much of an upgrade -- and a matching satellite center would do a severe disservice to James Earl Jones.

I thought of a solution, though. You can get mains with the same drivers as your center, but take up even less space than your mounted satellites. Have you considered Hsu's in-wall speakers? Just be sure to get the tweeters as close to ear height as possible. See this page for other worthwhile advice about in-walls.

Last edited:
N

Nightstang00

Enthusiast

If you like it, keep it! From your description, it sounds like you're going to be concerned with any mains that stick out farther than your satellites you currently have. That's a bit of a problem.

I thought of a solution, though. You can get mains with the same drivers as your center, but take up even less space than your mounted satellites. Have you considered Hsu's in-wall speakers?
Sounds is great, but I also am new to all this. I reached out to hsu and they didn't recommend them, they said to wall mount the book shelf speakers. Are they're any speakers that are with the same specs but smaller size I can use with this center?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Sounds is great, but I also am new to all this. I reached out to hsu and they didn't recommend them, they said to wall mount the book shelf speakers. Are they're any speakers that are with the same specs but smaller size I can use with this center?
Not that I'm aware of. There's no denying physics. Perhaps NHT speakers with their sealed enclosures would be smaller than the Hsus? There's a pair of used Absolute Zeros in excellent condition on eBay for $225 shipped. Those would be a worthwhile option, although those would need crossed over at 100Hz probably.

GoldenEar SuperSats might be another option to consider.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you could move your sofa a bit then you could wall mount bigger speakers without worrying about the hall way too much. I also would install a fan for your AVR to cool it as it is in quite small place, if you dont already have one.

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
couple of quick things are that ideally the TV should be lower as it is not ideal for the neck to be close to a high mounted TV. Ideally you want to get the center and TV as close as possible to give the best feeling of sound matching up to image. So mounting it so that it hovers just above the HSU center is the ideal. You may not need any TV angle tilt (unless it is a passive 3D display) at this angle so you may be able to get a flusher non tilt mount. Another option I like the look of is to get a wall mount that has articulated arms that allow you to pull the speaker out from the wall quite a bit as needed and then you can line up the screen to the front of the speaker or even front of the cabinet and speaker if you can do it.

And in the ideal world the left and right speakers should be at ear level and not TV level and should be about as far apart as the distance from you to the TV wall. Or between 22 and 30 degrees to either side. This would place the left speaker in that corner which can cause some sound issues as you get two walls interacting with the speaker and causing some bass frequencies to have problems. And the right speaker would be right on the corner causing more obstruction of the hall way.

Could look into on wall speakers as a compromise.

N

Nightstang00

Enthusiast

If you like it, keep it! From your description, it sounds like you're going to be concerned with any mains that stick out farther than your satellites you currently have. That's a bit of a problem, as upgrading your satellites for more satellites isn't much of an upgrade -- and a matching satellite center would do a severe disservice to James Earl Jones.

I thought of a solution, though. You can get mains with the same drivers as your center, but take up even less space than your mounted satellites. Have you considered Hsu's in-wall speakers? Just be sure to get the tweeters as close to ear height as possible. See this page for other worthwhile advice about in-walls.
So I got the hsu book shelf speakers. From the picture where would you mount then?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
So I got the hsu book shelf speakers. From the picture where would you mount then?
Not sure why you're asking me personally, since I suggested in-walls. I guess mount your bookshelfs in the same locations as your current satellites. Fewer holes to patch that way anyway. Did you get different mounts, or do your new bookshelf speakers have keyhole mounts on their backs? Did you end up getting more Hsus?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis