How to use bose components for free...

S

SJTrance

Audioholic
I have been setting up my home theater for some time and I have a nice and inexpensive system now. My friend came over and liked what I had. He recently was given a 3 year old Bose surround sound 5.1 system without any wires. Of course, I told him that there were many other systems that would give much better performances for the money. He then reminded me that they were free. I couldn't argue with that. He does not have any wires, so can I connect these speakers to another reciever? I have an old receiver sitting at home that I want to give him. I see that the connections are quite different. Can I make this work anyhow?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. Which model is the Bose system? We can probably look up the connections on it if you let us know.

S

SJTrance

Audioholic
I think that it's the Bose Lifestyle 28 Series III.

S

SJTrance

Audioholic
Another search gave me this link. Thanks for your help, but I will just advise him to buy the cables and use the system as is. It seems that the sub needs to work those speakers and vice versa, or they will sound even worse with a separate receiver.

edit: I don't have enough post count, so i cannot post the link.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Cool. Yeah, I just went to the Bose site, then to customer service, and then looked up the manuals for that system. Depending on which version of the cubes he has, it could be an easy connection with wires, or something slightly (but just slightly) more difficult.

If you have any questions about the wires, let us know. The easier type of cube connection would be a really pretty simple thing to construct out of regular speaker wire and some RCA jacks.

Adam

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Well, it was worth asking! Hopefully your friend can get the wires fairly inexpensively.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis