How to tell if a disk has atmos mix vs. matrixed atmos?

D

DubPlate

Audioholic Intern
Hi Folks:

Got my atmos system up. Went to Walmart and grabbed a DVD that said a Dolby Atmos. Playing the movie, I did get a convincing overhead experience. But I noticed my processor did not enable enable any atmos sound modes, it just said Dolby Digital + Dolby Surround. I came to vaguely understand that some disks have atmos baked in as a matrix, and that some discs have sound that is mixed with or for atmos. I would assume that the atmos mix would sound better than the matrix, and would also activate one of the specific atmos mode on the processor.

Is there a way to tell the two apart by looking at the disk? It appears they just say Dolby Atmos.

It doesn't appear there is any differentiation online either.

Also is Nextflix really only offering atmos through the Xbox?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Either the disc has Atmos content or it doesn't, your avr may be able to matrix into Atmos mode, though....

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I don't care about rubbish Dolby atmos. I don't have it nor will I ever buy it or have it for FREE its a load of junk of rubbish.

Listen to real life its light-years better sound. Dolby labs are greedy bastards for money how sad they are.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
What is your receiver or processor that you are using? Is Atmos selected on it to process?
While you said you grabbed a DVD, is it a DVD or a BluRay disc? What movie?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Chris is right. Atmos is on the disk or it's not. The reason the avr said +Dolby surround, is Dolby surround is the upmixer. It's what used to be pro logic II(z or x). It becomes active when the metadata isn't flagged for playback. That tells me there was a setting error. I.E.: selected wrong track, or BD player was set to pcm, wrong sound mode setting etc.

D

DubPlate

Audioholic Intern
Chris is right. Atmos is on the disk or it's not. The reason the avr said +Dolby surround, is Dolby surround is the upmixer. It's what used to be pro logic II(z or x). It becomes active when the metadata isn't flagged for playback. That tells me there was a setting error. I.E.: selected wrong track, or BD player was set to pcm, wrong sound mode setting etc.
I hate to admit that the package had two disk. I inserted the wrong disk not realizing there were two.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis