How to setup and layout sound system for a large room for dance classes?

Edison Tan

Edison Tan

Audiophyte
Hi, I am opening a dance studio which would have a large room with hard flooring, and a full-size mirror along with with Wall. The room is 14m x 7m, and the mirror is on 14m wall.

I assume I need to put some acoustic sound panels in the room, but not sure what kind of sound system shall I use ( Hi-Fi system or PA system ), how many speakers would be capable, and how big the speaker should I choose.

Really appreciate if someone can give me some advice :)

dance_room.png

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
In my wifes dance studio she has...
a Amazon.com: TASCAM CD-200i Professional Single CD Player w/iPod dock: Musical Instruments
Amazon.com: Crown XLS1000 Power Amplifier: Musical Instruments
2 of these Amazon.com: Electro-Voice ZLX-12P 12" 2-Way Powered Loudspeaker: Musical Instruments
and 2 of these Amazon.com: Electro-Voice EV ZXA1 SUB 120V BLACK AMPLIFIED: Camera & Photo
the microphone was a wireless headset type, but that was given to her and was around $2000 new, I know they have them much cheaper and will do the same thing...

As far as room treatments, her room had 2 padded walls, so reflection wasn't a huge issue, and with a room full of mirrors, there isn't a ton you can do, lol... I used to pull up outside and feel the ground shaking, the first time I thought she was working with the kids to have it that loud, but it was her adult workout class {she said they liked it loud so they couldn't hear their joints cracking :)} the kids used to get soft music so she could talk to them... she also had a small sony portable radio for yoga classes, she wouldn't use the big system for some reason...

Edison Tan

Edison Tan

Audiophyte
Hi ImcLoud, thank you so much for your information. I am thinking to have two 12 inch of loudspeakers as well and may put them into the corners in front of mirrors, is subwoofers really needed?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Well my wife did a lot of hip hop dancing/exercise classes, it seems the younger girls, go tanning, then go to exercise and they like the room full of sound, and with a big room there is no better way to fill it that with bass...

S

supermom

Audiophyte
Hello ImcLoud,

I am from Canada.

Hope you can help me? I am in charge of looking for sound system for our new dance studio - there will be 2 rooms - one large room approx 37 x 29 and a smaller room approx 30 x 25.

I am looking for a system that will play DVD and have a dock / jack for iphone or ipod.

Thanks,

Supermom

Well my wife did a lot of hip hop dancing/exercise classes, it seems the younger girls, go tanning, then go to exercise and they like the room full of sound, and with a big room there is no better way to fill it that with bass...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
ImcLoud isn't very active anymore.

I can tell you that you will want PA style speakers, and you will need to have a way to mount them high. These aren't the kind of speakers you want to mount at ear level. If you want big bass, you will want a PA style subwoofer. Some very good brands for these things are JBL, QSC, Electrvoice, Mackie, among others. If I were you, I would pay a pro-audio store a visit, like a nearby Guitar Center or somewhere like that. They will be able to offer you some suggestions.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis