How to position 7 in-ceiling speakers?

B

big_k

Enthusiast
I am putting in 7 speakers in my ceiling mostly for listening music. There is no "ideal" spot since this will be an exercise room, I was hoping for some advice on where to place these speakers?

They are 4 8" speakers, 2 6"1/2, and 1 5" for the center

The room is still under construction

if anyone felt like suggesting a reciever, I was going to go with a basic Denon 7.1 with 90wattsx7

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I am putting in 7 speakers in my ceiling mostly for listening music. There is no "ideal" spot since this will be an exercise room, I was hoping for some advice on where to place these speakers?

They are 4 8" speakers, 2 6"1/2, and 1 5" for the center

The room is still under construction

if anyone felt like suggesting a reciever, I was going to go with a basic Denon 7.1 with 90wattsx7
Well if you just listening to music you don't need an AVR, just a good stereo amp and a speaker selector, then sources. How large is the room? Is it just background listening?

B

big_k

Enthusiast
The room is 28 feet by 18 feet, with 10 foot walls. 504 sq feet, and 5,000 cu-ft

I guess it will be background listening, and perhaps the 7 speakers is a little overkill?

I was considering simply using the 4 - 8" Speakers, spread near each corner. I would post a picture of the room, if I had enough posts. :)

Any recommendations on stereo amp and speaker selector?

My idea was throw in the 7 speakers (and a subwoofer) and put it into an AVR 7.1 and hook up a flat screen in the future on the wall.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
The room is 28 feet by 18 feet, with 10 foot walls. 504 sq feet, and 5,000 cu-ft

I guess it will be background listening, and perhaps the 7 speakers is a little overkill?

I was considering simply using the 4 - 8" Speakers, spread near each corner. I would post a picture of the room, if I had enough posts. :)

Any recommendations on stereo amp and speaker selector?

My idea was throw in the 7 speakers (and a subwoofer) and put it into an AVR 7.1 and hook up a flat screen in the future on the wall.
Id wire for 6, in 3 rows of two and forget about the sub. As for a receiver this model from Yamaha would work well. A speaker distribution unit like this from niles works. You could feed the TV audio thru the system as well. Just make sure you run all the wire you will need now.

Last edited:
B

big_k

Enthusiast
Id wire for 6, in 3 rows of two and forget about the sub. As for a receiver this model from Yamaha would work well. A speaker distribution unit like this from niles works. You could feed the TV audio thru the system as well. Just make sure you run all the wire you will need now.
thanks for the response, I couldn't open the first link from Yamaha

I have on hand 4 8" speakers, and 2 6"/1/2, so should I run it 2 8" , 2 6"/1/2 in the middle, and 2 8" again?

I already ran the wiring through the wall, and its resting on the ceiling (Easy access) so I still can easily accomodate any setup.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
thanks for the response, I couldn't open the first link from Yamaha

I have on hand 4 8" speakers, and 2 6"/1/2, so should I run it 2 8" , 2 6"/1/2 in the middle, and 2 8" again?

I already ran the wiring through the wall, and its resting on the ceiling (Easy access) so I still can easily accomodate any setup.
Since you have the speakers that's fine. The yamaha is the rx 797, which is plenty of power for the application. The SS is overkill in function but better than most speaker connection blocks that are available for just a little more. If you did decide to add a powered sub, you still have the option to do so later. I think for the application you will not find it needed.

B

big_k

Enthusiast
Excuse me if I am completely off, but wouldn't something like "Behringer EP4000 Pro Stereo Power Amplifier 4000 Watts" for $295 be a better buy? (or a weaker amp)

FYI my source will most likely be a computer (internet radio, etc)

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Excuse me if I am completely off, but wouldn't something like "Behringer EP4000 Pro Stereo Power Amplifier 4000 Watts" for $295 be a better buy? (or a weaker amp)

FYI my source will most likely be a computer (internet radio, etc)
Sure, you just need to add a pre amp to go with it, witch is why I mentioned the receiver having all you need in one.(just a not the EP4000 is just a rebadged ep2500) Actually the crown xls202 is in clearnce and is going for around $149. (fan is a little noisey but wont hurt for your application) Using your computer as a pre amp will surely intoduce noise unless buffered. You would still need a pre amp, especially if you were going to add the TV later.

B

big_k

Enthusiast
Sure, you just need to add a pre amp to go with it, witch is why I mentioned the receiver having all you need in one.(just a not the EP4000 is just a rebadged ep2500) Actually the crown xls202 is in clearnce and is going for around $149. (fan is a little noisey but wont hurt for your application) Using your computer as a pre amp will surely intoduce noise unless buffered. You would still need a pre amp, especially if you were going to add the TV later.
Alright Bandaphan, thanks for your patience, so bear with me here.

The Yamaha Rx797 and the EP4000 or the Crown xls202. (can you PM where it is on clearance?)

How would I go about wiring it, and if I was to purchase the Yamaha would I still need a Pre-Amp if I was to go with computer as my source.

here is more info on the 6 speakers I will use
2 "6-1/2 Inches Glass Composite 3-Way, Dual Voice Coil, Stereo In-Ceiling Speaker (Pair) - 40W Nominal, 100w Max'
Impedance: 8 Ohms
Frequency Response: 57 Hz - 20,000 Hz
Power Handling Capacity: 40 Watts x 2 Nominal, 100 x 2 Maximum
Woofer: 6.5" Glass Composite Woofer w/ 13.3oz Magnet and rubber surrounds.
Tweeter: Dual 1" Titanium Silk Membrane Dome (Pivoting)‧20Φ Swivel
Sensitivity: 85 +/- 2db (1.0M/2.83V)

4 "8 Inches Kevlar In-Ceiling Speakers (Pair) - w/ 15 Degree Angled Woofer"
Impedance: 8 Ohms
Frequency Response: 42 Hz - 20,000 Hz
Power Handling Capacity: 80 Watts Nominal, 160 Maximum
Woofer: 8" Kevlar Woven Cone Woofer w/ 30oz Magnet and rubber surrounds.
Tweeter: 1" Pivoting Cat-Eye Silk Dome with Ferrofluid
Sensitivity: 89 +/- 2db (1.0M/2.83V)
Crossover: 12dB per Octave (with -3, -6 dB Switch)

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Here is the Crown on amazon free shipping 179.99. Here is a better deal for a preamp. The yamaha and the crown would be over kill. The Emotiva pre has digital(s) inputs only, if you need analog, this would be the choice, both are the same price.. What are your options for audio out from the computer?

B

big_k

Enthusiast
I have the creative x-fi titanium.
Line In Yes
Line Out Yes
SPDIF In TOSLINK
SPDIF Out TOSLINK
"Audio Chipset X-Fi
Channels 7.1
Sample Rate 96KHz
Digital Audio 24-bit
SNR 109dB "

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
The the Emotiva DAC Preamp would work nice as it has xlr out puts to match the crown. Wiring would be as follows .. digital sources>emotive pre>crown amp> speaker selector/conector block(whichever)>to speakers.

B

big_k

Enthusiast
I am going to look for other options for the Pre-Amp since the Emotiva won't be shipping till November 30th, (I'd like this ready to go by Nov 1st)

If you had any other suggestions for a PreAmp that would be great. I am now double checking which speaker selector to go with.

As for wiring, I am running 16 gauge -in-wall, I hope that is enough?

Also random question: Are speaker plugs (Banana Plugs) necessary? (helpful?)

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I am going to look for other options for the Pre-Amp since the Emotiva won't be shipping till November 30th, (I'd like this ready to go by Nov 1st)

If you had any other suggestions for a PreAmp that would be great. I am now double checking which speaker selector to go with.

As for wiring, I am running 16 gauge -in-wall, I hope that is enough?

Also random question: Are speaker plugs (Banana Plugs) necessary? (helpful?)
As long as you longest run isnt over forty feet, 16 gauge is fine. You can always go withe the USP-1 from emotiva, and use the analog connections (which really is no different) You can get some good used preamps from B&K, Carver, Adcom for around 200.

B

big_k

Enthusiast
As long as you longest run isnt over forty feet, 16 gauge is fine. You can always go withe the USP-1 from emotiva, and use the analog connections (which really is no different) You can get some good used preamps from B&K, Carver, Adcom for around 200.
I suppose so, the USP-1 is pushing $400. So I might seek another product or just wait for the digital emotiva. It makes me wonder whether I should go with the original plan of the Rx-797 with the speaker selector. :)

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I suppose so, the USP-1 is pushing $400. So I might seek another product or just wait for the digital emotiva. It makes me wonder whether I should go with the original plan of the Rx-797 with the speaker selector. :)
The 797 is fine. If you want to go the preamp route, Audiogon.com has a few for under $200 , like this Adcom

B

big_k

Enthusiast
I found the Niles for $169 here

I have never seen Audiogon, any other preamps I should consider? Is this like an e-bay for audio gear?

I guess the only reason I don't want to go the Yamaha route is that crown is coming in today from Amazon :)

I found an ONkyo P 304 too, not sure if it is good?

Last edited:
bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I found the Niles for $169 here

I have never seen Audiogon, any other preamps I should consider? Is this like an e-bay for audio gear?

I guess the only reason I don't want to go the Yamaha route is that crown is coming in today from Amazon :)

I found an ONkyo P 304 too, not sure if it is good?
Audiogon is much more trustworthy. Thant adcom sure is solid, id take it over that particular onkyo. There were a few others listed/. Yes that niles will work fine,

B

big_k

Enthusiast
that adcom was already sold :'(

I guess I will find a few preamp's and perhaps post up the links, and see what you think; after some preliminary googling of reviews.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis