How to Make Surround Sound Work in an Apartment

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Not everyone can enjoy the luxury of living in a stand-alone home. Many of us, especially those in large cities, have no choice but to partake in apartment living. Limited space, sound bleed to neighboring units, and an inability to modify the construction of the home, are all obstacles to having a great sound system in an apartment. Here are our suggestions to overcome each of these issues and more.

Read How to Make Surround Sound Work in an Apartment.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
#2: Gear doesn't need to be compact since the footprint is the same, however smaller gear can give you more space options.
#3: most apartments don't want you to wall mount anything except pictures, so attaching a wall mount to studs is likely a no-no. What most people I've seen do is get a stand that includes a mount. Since I already had my rack, I went with a stand alone mount that fits below and behind the rack.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Interesting topic. I was looking at the SubDude (http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_subdude/subdude.asp) and then found alternative solution SoundPath (http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/subwoofer-accessories/soundpath-subwoofer-isolation-system). What do you guys think, which one of these would be better solution? Is there any benefits over other or is the result same with both?
I like the Auralex SubDudes and similar. I have two under my Danley CS30s in the home theater and one in my studio under the Bag End Infra. They do seem to qualitatively help prevent room vibrations and such, but don't expect them to really isolate bass from the neighbors. It might help a little though. One of the main things I really like about them is the handle under it to help move the subwoofers.

As far as which to get: They're basically attempting the same thing just using different methods. The Auralex is turning the vibrations into heat (obviously not where you'd notice - but, that's where the potential energy goes). The SVS is using something similar to an engine and/or generator mount in a car or boat by floating / decoupling. The SVS certainly is less offensively ugly if that matters.

I'd say if looks matter: try the SVS. If it's no biggie, use trusty ol' Auralex.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Decided to go DIY way with one as I want it to look good and when I do it myself I can make it same size as the sub is. Ordered some Auralex platfoam and other stuff I need for this. Now just need to pick up some plywood and sprayglue locally for the project. Might take some photos from progress when I'm doing it and post another topic about it, unless there already is one, havent checked yet.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis