How to make a 12v trigger cable?

J

jaydee77ca

Enthusiast
Hi,

I just purchased a Niles SPK-1 switch and want to connect it to my Yamaha RX-V675 AV receiver. I want to use the 12v trigger out on the receiver to activate the switch. However, I am having a heck of a time finding a cable that will work as the receiver has a 3.5 mm (1/8") jack but the switch wants bare wires. After reading some other threads on here about 12v trigger cables I decided to try to put something together and want to make sure I'm doing it right :)

I went out and bought a 3.5 mm mono plug to mono plug audio cable from The Source, cut one end off, and stripped the outer jacket. Inside is a stranded wire core surrounded by some rubber and then more stranded wire around that. To connect to the Niles switch do I just pull all the outer wire together and twist it up and connect that to one terminal and then strip back the inner rubber, twist together the inner stranded wire and connect that to the other terminal? Then plug the other end in to the receiver?

I don't want to mess anything up so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
that sounds about right. just make sure none of the inner or outer wires touch each other. (i used a tiny flat cord for mine, so it was much simpler)

J

jaydee77ca

Enthusiast
Great, thanks! Does it matter which part I connect to the positive and negative terminal? Like, does the outer wire have to be on the positive or negative terminal or it doesn't matter?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Outer wire should be negative and the inner wire should be positive.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis