how to get best soundcard?

T

twister

Audiophyte
can anyone tell me what soundcard i need to peform in outdoor functions.On what features a soundcards are categorised?which are the best companies which make sound cards.

Regards.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
twister said:
can anyone tell me what soundcard i need to peform in outdoor functions.On what features a soundcards are categorised?which are the best companies which make sound cards.

Regards.
Please be more specific with your question. "outdoor functions"? :cool:

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
Look in to the Sound Blaster cards. Creative Labs makes those, and they are considered to be some of the best.

Paul

D

Dr. Anthony

Audioholic Intern
Soundblaster Audigy

The Audigy 2 line of pc cards play extremely clean >102 dB s/n levels I do believe. They have models with external boxes if that is what you mean by outdoor. No card has an internal amp so if you are looking to pipe music outside your house you need either powered speakers or an amp/speaker combo.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
As far as it goes, sound blaster cards are what I recommend to people who pay me for that kind of advice. I use one myself. Every PC in my house except for laptops has a SB card. Yes, I do have one of my PC's tied into my rig both sound and video wise. SB cards are also reasonably priced.:cool:

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I also vote for Soundblaster Audigy 2 card. Great for playback and gaming. But I would recommend other cards if you intended to use it for a great deal of home studio recording,etc.(the card has very good recording performance, but lacks certain useful input standards and other features important for efficient studio use).

-Chris

twister said:

Regards.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
I was always favored Turtle Beach, still using my 10 year old Multisound. they have some 5.1 cards now (Catalina). But if not, the Multisound is now called the Santa Cruz (I think), and they have a low end card (Riviera). For whatever card you get, you will need amp(s) though.

For outdoor give Sweetwater a call (google them).

T

twister

Audiophyte
Outdoor means!!!!

Thanks everyone for replying.

By outdoor i mean that i WANNA perform to the larger audience.Like the marriage parties,college parties etc.I wanna know if i wanna buy a sound card for this purpose what are the features i should look and how can i compare the cards.i wanna know what are the features required for a best card for this purpose.

Hope i m able to explain outdoor now.lol.

Regards.

D

Dr. Anthony

Audioholic Intern
I think it is more of a fact of the rest of your system

We need to know a little more about what you want to do. Are you using the midi portion of the card? Are you a "DJ" and only playing though the audio out portion with MP3's and CD's? Do you have any outside gear like a Mackie board, external amps/speakers? Do you play with others or are you a one man band?

The Audigy 2 can provide most everything. I has a tremendous sound library, can be used for sampling purposes and play back like a sampler, has an extremely clean audio out section, uses existing ram for sample memory, has a 5.1 output, has internal sound processing and effects, etc.

What is your purpose for the card so we can steer you more toward pro gear. Do you need more than 4 outputs. Is firewire important to you as the audigy has it built in. Much to think about. What programs do you use currently? If you use Reason, all you need is a fast processor and a clean audio out on 2 channels, a mixer or preamp, amp and speakers. If you go the cakewalk/protools/etc route you have more options.

T

twister

Audiophyte
Myself is not a DJ.I wanna become one in near future.When you say that weather I use the Midi portion of the card I cant able to anwer that bec i dont know anthing about it.I wanna use computer to play the songs.I wanna that the sound should be very clear.I wanna perform in large functions like in the stadiums,open programs and many times in the wedding parties.

What is Audigy2.Is this the name of the sound card from creative?

Currently i am not using any program.I am planning to buy the best equipment.Sound quality is the priority of mine.

Hoping for a sound response.

Regards.

D

Dr. Anthony

Audioholic Intern
A little more info needed

The computer mainly will be used for 2 purposes usually. I have a lot of pro gear and am very familiar with the setup and implementation of pro gear, especially that of computer card interfaces.

The Audigy 2 is a sound card manufactured by Creative Labs that has two main purposes.
1) It is a general purpose Midi (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) Instrument that plays via external input (via keyboard or other controller) or internally via a sequencer that plays the actual notes like a player piano. If you are not a keyboardist or understand much about the midi format, it might be overwhelming for a novice, especially if you are just starting out. If you have ever used an external sequencer say via a keyboard or operated a multi-channel recorder it will be much easier for the transition.
2) The Audigy 2 also has an audio in/out just like a digital recorder that will play back all that is input (record your songs to play them back later to accompany). This can also play back MP3's and any other audio output you give it to play just like any other audio output on a computer. It can also operate much like a physical multitrack recorder with the proper programs.
A wealth of sound manipulation can be done with this audio, time stretched, morphed, effects added, edited, etc.

The benefit of the Audigy is that it is a very good card for both, extremely clean sound, flat frequency response and multiple outputs for separate outs to a mixing console to add effects, plus it has an excellent midi music section. It can reproduce a wealth of sounds that are right out of the box, thousands upon thousands available over the years as well as a huge library available from SoundBlaster, akai, etc with specific soundbanks. In order to access this you must have a good midi program.

The best program I have used that many session musicians and those who have used hard based (non computer) based sequencers who understand hardwiring better is a program called Reason from propellerhead software. It is a sequence based program with included modules that just add on like real gear like samplers, synthesizers, drum machines, effects boxes etc. This is only limited by your existing memory and your cpu speed.

There are also many programs out there from Cakewalk, Steinberg, Protools, and many others.

It all depends what you intend to do with it. If you are only going to record audio and play it back you can use lesser cards if the midi portion of the card is not required or will be used. If you concern is multiple channel recording like a multichannel tape recorder, there are other pro cards that can be used.

Last edited:
A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
twister said:
Myself is not a DJ.I wanna become one in near future.When you say that weather I use the Midi portion of the card I cant able to anwer that bec i dont know anthing about it.I wanna use computer to play the songs.I wanna that the sound should be very clear.I wanna perform in large functions like in the stadiums,open programs and many times in the wedding parties.

What is Audigy2.Is this the name of the sound card from creative?

Currently i am not using any program.I am planning to buy the best equipment.Sound quality is the priority of mine.

Hoping for a sound response.

Regards.
Well, it seems you just want good solid sound amplification for your PC soundcard to some outdoor event that needs some musical background, right?

I also use an Audigy 2 soundcard to make my PC act like a CD jukebox for just about 300 CDs (limited by the hard disk capacity). And I can make a playlist using the default Microsoft player to classify musical genre, favourite guitarsts, male balladeers, etc, etc to play for a few minutes or up to hours continuously. It does make a good background jukebox for a party as you can really make a 3-hour or 5-hour playlist to last with your party. Or you can classify and make a playlist of music of the 70s or 50s depending on your party theme or to make horror music for a holloween party. Good idea.

And since you'd be using this for outdoors, I guess you would need some powerful amps and speakers to do the job, right? Not necessarily home quality hi-fi amps and speakers, though that can do ofcourse. Will you be doing some mobile sound reproducing services to rent out for other people on some event or occassion?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis