How to Extend Wireless Internet for Full Coverage in Large Homes

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
If it were me, I would just buy a decent router, instead of playing with Band-Aids. You have to spend a bit to get there, but you're done and can worry about other things.

I have a Netgear router that I've used for 10 years; cost me $90 but I can get un-interrupted WiFi 300 yards outdoors, and everywhere in the house, to the garage, etc.

Do some homework, stay away from the $35 models, and you're done.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
If it were me, I would just buy a decent router, instead of playing with Band-Aids. You have to spend a bit to get there, but you're done and can worry about other things.

I have a Netgear router that I've used for 10 years; cost me $90 but I can get un-interrupted WiFi 300 yards outdoors, and everywhere in the house, to the garage, etc.

Sorry, but "It ain't necessarily so!" Here is my saga which I posted about. This thread is about my experience going on the Gigazone, but it links to the saga and pile of hurt I get into after buying and expensive top of the line router. Spending big bucks will not keep you out of trouble.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
I recently got the google wifi setup, one on my main floor and one in the basement. super simple setup, more then fast enough for my needs (mostly streaming music but it should be able to stream HD - I average about 85Mbps) and zero headaches. I realize that there are cheaper, faster, more feature laden solutions out there but to be honest for 98% of the world this is the solution I would recommend. even my parents could probably get this to work. maybe.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Sorry, but "It ain't necessarily so!" Here is my saga which I posted about. This thread is about my experience going on the Gigazone, but it links to the saga and pile of hurt I get into after buying and expensive top of the line router. Spending big bucks will not keep you out of trouble.
I did not say "spend big bucks". My router was not expensive, it just wasn't the cheapest off-the-shelf variety. Furthermore it was carefully chosen; I bought a specific model from a specific manufacturer whose product at the time offered superb performance. [801.b/g/n]

You need to research, as I did say, and choose a router that has appropriate range. Many so-called review websites do not adequately test the range ability this poster is seeking. If you base your purchase decision on such a review, don't be surprised if the results are unsatisfactory. Just because you know what "Google" means does not imply you actually know how to properly search and more importantly, assess a review. It's a skill, not everyone has it, despite what they may think.

If it does not perform to your requirements, return it and choose another. If you don't buy your router from someone who allows returns with a full refund, you are not buying from the right vendor and should alter your habits. People who insist on saving the last penny and buy from vendors who don't allow seamless returns will soon learn the folly of that approach; everyone else should be able to solve the problem.

The fact remains I can walk with my laptop down my city block until my house is no longer visible, or down my yard and into the garage, and stream Netflix. Routers vary in their ability to cover the physical world; you need to choose one that works well under that parameter if that's important to you.

We are talking radio waves here. Many people don't understand how they work as well as their grandparents did, since they actually did rely on radio waves for television, AM and FM reception. Gigahertz radio is different in many respects, but it's also identical in many respects. People today seem to think wireless simply propagates everywhere. It doesn't, never has, and never will.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
@Johnny2Bad Here are few problems with your statements:
a) "Do some homework" - But then you offer no actual suggestions on what to look for. Buck nicely summarized what I had told him and surprise - it works for him
b) stay away from the $35 models - yes, decent router would cost more than $35, but then again I could probably get something like refub Asus router or TP-Link Archer, install new firmware and have perform nearly as good as $350 router.
c) And you done? Far from it - there are lots considerations (see earlier the thread) on placement and coverage and fine tuning.

I am glad that your 10y old netgear just works for you, but in many MANY densely populated areas WiFi networks had become extremely common and with ANY radio frequency interference is actual thing.

I also thing that you have some vague and not clear idea on how radio waves actually work and trust me then I say - they all behave in same way and have same laws. It doesn't mean they have same characteristics (Frequency and power) which define their "behavior"
Most important one is Frequency which directly affects its wavelength. From FM's 100Mhz - wavelength is about 10ft to 2.4Ghz - about 5" long to 5Ghz about 2" long. The shorter the wave the more likely physical objects with width of nearly equal (or larger) wavelength, would reduce (or block completely) the signal. Like Walls for example. Same goes for FM radio, if you are in place with 10ft thick walls, I doubt you'd get much FM radio in it.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

OK, you have signal at 300 yards, but what is the speed at that distance?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis