How to Extend Wireless Internet for Full Coverage in Large Homes

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
This article gives you the Jedi Master IT skills needed to defeat the wireless woes of any home. We already wrote about how to set up a router and how to optimize wireless performance, but in some cases no matter where you place a router or what settings you tweak, there’s just no way a single router can provide fast and reliable wireless throughout the entire home. If that’s the situation you’re in, then this is the article for you. We cover basic wireless range extenders, Ethernet over powerline kits, and three methods of installing additional wireless access points throughout a home. Read on to learn the skills necessary to defeat the anti-wireless Dark Sith lord.

Discuss "How to Extend Wireless Internet for Full Coverage in Large Homes" here. Read the article.

jinjuku

jinjuku

You may want to pull the graphic from Linksys that shows the 2nd router in WAP configuration having it's WAN port connected the LAN port on the main router.

Anyone that does that and uses the instructions given are going to be tearing their hair out trying to get it to work.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You may want to pull the graphic from Linksys that shows the 2nd router in WAP configuration having it's WAN port connected the LAN port on the main router.

Anyone that does that and uses the instructions given are going to be tearing their hair out trying to get it to work.
How to Convert Linksys WRT54G to Be an Access Point: 14 Steps

Disagree, the graph does indeed show correct wiring. Here's the how-to. It is also possible with certain routers to use WAN port for WAP. I think I was running my WRT54G (DDWRT) with lan port, but now since 54G just died I switched to Asus AC66U and use WAN port for WAP access.

Cliff_is

Cliff_is

Audioholics Content Manager

Fixed!

I updated to image to one that shows the Ethernet cable plugged into a LAN port on the second router, since that is what I say to do in the instructions.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
From your own linked article:

Not everyone is going to have the routers listed in the article.

So I will stand by my post.
I guess I misunderstood. What I meant to say - depends on the router, in WAP mode it could work connected to ether lan or wan ports. But I guess for most router Lan to Lan is more common way to do it.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I guess I misunderstood. What I meant to say - depends on the router, in WAP mode it could work connected to ether lan or wan ports. But I guess for most router Lan to Lan is more common way to do it.
You can use ANY wireless router as a WAP. Even if there is no dedicated 'WAP' mode available.

Statically assign the LAN IP
Disable DHCP (although this isn't necessary if you know what you are doing and the particular router supports it)
SSID the same. Different channel
Set encryption protocol to the same as others (if multiple WAPs)

Connect LAN to LAN

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You can use ANY wireless router as a WAP. Even if there is no dedicated 'WAP' mode available.

Statically assign the LAN IP
Disable DHCP (although this isn't necessary if you know what you are doing and the particular router supports it)
SSID the same. Different channel
Set encryption protocol to the same as others (if multiple WAPs)

Connect LAN to LAN
In this case one should have to disable NAT or with NAT enabled double NATting could be an issue

jinjuku

jinjuku

In this case one should have to disable NAT or with NAT enabled double NATting could be an issue
It doesn't matter. No traffic is passing over the LAN to WAN on the router acting as AP. Just ignore that section on the router.

Dump down to a command prompt and issue the ROUTE PRINT command. Take a look at your routing table. Locate the all undefined rule. Look where it's going to...

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
I was just having this convo at work. The irony.

If the device's WAN port can be assigned to the switch, that would allow the graphic to work as is. Some devices support that, some don't. Some support it hardware but require a firmware change to enable it in the software. jinjuku's idea is generic and works acrosss the board without concern for any features within the firmware. Every consumer "router" is just a switch in its 4-port section. That article could also include a link explaining what exactly "routers" and "switches" are.

Then again, we'd start talking about gateways and routing tables and ARP and DHCP and subnets and subnet masks and VLANs... on second thought, no extra links. =)

S

Sathishdholic

Audiophyte
Few missed things...

Good Article overall. Appreciate the more how to aspects explained than just some high level stuff. Would also be good to add some points on how to re-purpose a Dual Band Router as an Access Point or Use as the Secondary Router in bridge mode etc for better clarity to readers and those looking to extend their home wi-fi. Also you could explain some of the incompatibility of Apple Router with other routers to work as an AP unless the base router is also Apple device.

C

Cholmes

Audiophyte
I have tried the Ethernet to wap, and assigned both devices to same SSID, etc..., however the main router is upstairs on one side of house and 2nd one is main floor opposite end of house, so when I am connected to say downstairs AP and walk upstairs there is still enough signal to keep me connected to downstairs router but not strong enough to provide any bandwidth. Even though I am standing next to upstairs router it won't switch. I have to turn off/on wifi on Mac or iPhone, then it connects to upstairs. Same thing when I walk downstairs. I have the Asus Dark Knight as main up, and have tried an older AirPort Extreme as well as an Asus EA-N66 down and just can't figure out how to get seamless wifi in whole house which is about 2700 SF 2 story. Any suggestions?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, easiest way to do it is using several AirPort extreme units - just place checkmark extend network and it just works like magic

David Falk

David Falk

Audiophyte
Hi, I am brand new to this site, but like what I see so far.

i have a WiFi extension question, what do you think I would need to get network down at my boat dock. There is no way to run a wire that far, and my wireless signal drops off about 10 feet from the dock.

i am asking because I want to put some web cameras down there to keep an eye on my boat while not home. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Regards
David

P

prakash

Audiophyte
Hi
can anyone tell me what is best way to have wifi in 3 floor house with each having separate mains and fuse system, will google or bt whole home wifi help, as powerline adapters do not seem to work as having individual circuits?

thanks for help and advice

P

prakash

Audiophyte
Hi
Was the Google WiFi answer to my question
Below
Hi

can anyone tell me what is best way to have wifi in 3 floor house with each having separate mains and fuse system, will google or bt whole home wifi help, as powerline adapters do not seem to work as having individual circuits?

thanks for help and advice

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Just to be clear, i didn't suggest that you search for term wifi on Google, but a specific mesh wireless network product made by Google, called Google wifi.
Here's the link: https://madeby.google.com/wifi/

I've used powerline adapters in the past and yet to have any good results out of them.
The most important thing to know about them is this: Their advertised speeds are always listed as "UP TO". I guarantee you that in real homes with bunch of appliances, computers, fans, heaters plugged in, you'll never reach UP TO speed. not even 1/5th of it. 1/10th if you're lucky.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis