How to connect ceiling speakers to a receiver

M

memo242

Audiophyte
Hello all, i am completely new to this and i really appreciate a detailed help. i bought a house and i am doing some renovations. i want to install ceiling speakers in the basement (5 speakers) and in family room, kitchen, master bedroom, and 2 other bed rooms. i want to be able to have volume controls for each respective area.
i have an av closet in the basement and i will be running all wires to that room to hook up to a receiver.
can you please tell me the best way to connect all the wires coming out of the cieiling speakers to the receiver. i know there won't be enough on the back of the receiver to connect all these speakers so how can i do it. also how do i connect the volume controls.
are there additional parts that i need to buy? i would really appreciate the advice on what parts you recommend i buy starting from the receiver to speakers to wire brands and guage that you recommend and how to connect all of that together or if you have a different recommendation to accomplish my goal!

Many thanks for your detailed help!

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Hi memo242 and welcome to the form.

Are the 5 speakers in the basement for a home theater?

As for the other zones you will need to run wire from each speaker to the volume control and then from the volume control to the amplifier.

There are some decent systems from Home theater Direct that I have heard good things about: Home Theater Direct

You could get a decent 6 zone system with keypads for around $1000.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
For the speakers in the "other" areas, you will want impedance matching volume controls. Simple Niles Audio Corporation or fancy Niles Audio Corporation

For the main area, just connect directly to the receiver and preferably a separate amp for the other zone(s). You can get fancy and use an amp for a distributed system that has power for each channel, or a decent stereo amp since you'll have the impedance matching VCs.

You will need in-wall rated wire for all of the speakers and the AWG depends on the length of run for the speakers that were chosen. See this chart: Speaker Wire

For a home theater setup, in ceiling is not the best choice for the front speakers sound wise, but should be fine for the surrounds. All in ceiling will work if that is the desire.

M

memo242

Audiophyte
Thank you guys for the replies. actually the ceiling speakers will not be for the cinema. i have dedicated surround sound for that. the ceiling speakers will be mainly for music or intercom or something similar to these uses

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Any reason why you wouldn't just use your existing audio setup for distributed audio? I like that you want to get a system going throughout your home, but I would suggest that you really think about what exactly you want to achieve in your home. Not just putting speakers everywhere and hoping for the best, but what level of ease of use are you striving for? How much are you looking to spend? How much on equipment? How much on labor/repairs? If you have drywall in place, then wiring will require that to all be repaired and painted, which could easily cost well more than the distributed audio system. Likewise, you will want to consider how much you intend to use this system and how easy you want it to be to use and what it is you want to listen to. All these things seem to come up as questions after the installation, when they can't be addressed, but now is the time you want to address those items.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis