How to connect Blu-ray to internet?

Bluesmobile

Bluesmobile

Audioholic Intern
Looking for some advice on this. Here is what I have:

broadband internet connection--

Upstairs:
Qwest modemrouter with two antennas (does it send out a wireless signal?), computer(Mac)

Downstairs:

Panasonic plasma dislpay with Viera cast
Panasonic Blu-ray player

phone/internet line jacks are across the room from the TV and Blu-ray. I do not want to run an ethernet cable across the room.

How do I get a signal from the Qwest modem/router to my Panasonic hardwear wirelessly? Do I purchase a game adaptor/bridge? Will this have any trouble working from a broadband modem?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks

Matt

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, if you don't want to run wires, a wireless bridge would be what you need. You will need to find out if your router is wireless or not however.

D

danr43

Audiophyte
Bluesmobile,

Did you ever figure this out? I have the exact same set-up and I'm puzzled about the set-up necessary for my Qwest modem to send a wireless signal to my new Panasonic plasma TV with Viera Cast.

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
There a number of ways to connect your blu-ray player to the internet. If your Qwest modem is wireless, then you would buy a wireless bridge. It's function is to "bridge" your wifi network with a wired component. The bridge device connects to your network via wifi and has an ethernet jack in the back that you can run an ethernet cable to your audio component. The benefit is that you don't have to run an ethernet cable, install wall jacks, etc. They usually run somewhere around $75.

The other option is to use Powerline networking. You basically use the AC lines in your house as defacto ethernet runs. A module plugs into your network router, and converts the internet traffic into a high frequency signal that travels over the electrical wires in your house. At the other end a module plugs into your house's wiring, picks up the signal then converts it back to internet connectivity. You then plug your component into the module and voila you have access. The benefit to powerline networking is that the network speed is usually faster than wifi, plus you don't have to run ethernet cables, install jacks, etc. You can always add additional powerline modules to add internet connectivity at other locations throughout your house. A single pair of modules will run about $100.

Hope this helps

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis