How to complete this setup? (streaming-related)

A

AbyssalLoris

Audioholic
I'm trying to clean up my setup and make it a little elegant. Not being aware of all the latest tech out there for this type of thing makes it a little difficult.

I have somethingl like an HTPC with my AV equipment. I used to run this and play my audio/video, through the AVR and beyond (speakers/TV, whatever). I am now dissatisfied with this as I don't want to run a whole PC (with a large wattage power supply, video card, power hungry/noisy CPU, etc) just to play some music. This isn't really an HTPC - it is more of a gaming-capable PC in a HTPC-like box.

What I have done since is to obtain a NAS and I have set this up to connect to my router, which is also connected to the PC over wire. As I said before, I don't want to use the PC to play what's on the NAS. I would like to stream the NAS's content to the AVR. My AVR is not network-enabled. What piece of the puzzle am I missing? I am guessing these options:

1. Replace AVR with network-AVR. Not sure how this works. Can I just connect it to the router and be able to play what's on the NAS by means of UPnP? If so, where is the control interface to decide what plays, etc?

2. Insert another device of some kind between the router (connected to NAS) and the AVR, that will accomplish streaming. I believe that devices of the Squeezebox variety do this. Is this correct? If so, can you name some options for such a device?

If there's some other way to go about this, please suggest. I am researching the best choice for me, but will definitely prefer minimal redundancy of equipment.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I would replace the avr, you can get inexpensive very capable avr's now, vs years ago, they were costly once you started adding the features in... DENON AVR-1613 5.1ch Networking Receiver w/AirPlay 3D ready | Accessories4less

I think its time for something that streams music for everyone and everyone likes all the features.... I just use an ipod, ipad, ect since I like Itunes and it works well, if you set it up rite and use a dac and a digital dock you can get good sound quality...

I am going to try the olive one when it comes out, but besides that I have looked into most of the other stuff and nothing has stuck out...

Last edited:
A

AbyssalLoris

Audioholic
Interesting information. I am discovering so many new devices & features, my head is spinning. Things that I don't fully understand:

1. Network-AVR with Airplay compatibility: I know nothing of Airplay. A quick read tells me it is a software interface to control streaming and so on. So you would have Airplay on some device (phone, laptop, etc) and using that you would control the network-AVR to manage your playlist wirelessly. Am I understanding correctly? If so, what non-Apple options exist? Without going into some tech-war, I don't use Apple stuff. Surely, there are options PC users and Android users have? Are all network-AVRs Airplay compatible? A how-to guide I read on CNET (Apple Airplay: 10 things you need to know) says that Airplay does not play from NAS. Maybe this is not true anymore, as it is a 2-year old article. Can you clarify?

2. Popcorn Hour: Fantastic. Looks very interesting. This might be a good solution. Again, there appear to be a multitude of products in this category, so some guidelines are appreciated. Is this a similar type of device as a Squeezebox, or a Sonos, or an Olive One? What are the differences?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm trying to clean up my setup and make it a little elegant. Not being aware of all the latest tech out there for this type of thing makes it a little difficult.

I have somethingl like an HTPC with my AV equipment. I used to run this and play my audio/video, through the AVR and beyond (speakers/TV, whatever). I am now dissatisfied with this as I don't want to run a whole PC (with a large wattage power supply, video card, power hungry/noisy CPU, etc) just to play some music. This isn't really an HTPC - it is more of a gaming-capable PC in a HTPC-like box.

What I have done since is to obtain a NAS and I have set this up to connect to my router, which is also connected to the PC over wire. As I said before, I don't want to use the PC to play what's on the NAS. I would like to stream the NAS's content to the AVR. My AVR is not network-enabled. What piece of the puzzle am I missing? I am guessing these options:

1. Replace AVR with network-AVR. Not sure how this works. Can I just connect it to the router and be able to play what's on the NAS by means of UPnP? If so, where is the control interface to decide what plays, etc?

2. Insert another device of some kind between the router (connected to NAS) and the AVR, that will accomplish streaming. I believe that devices of the Squeezebox variety do this. Is this correct? If so, can you name some options for such a device?

If there's some other way to go about this, please suggest. I am researching the best choice for me, but will definitely prefer minimal redundancy of equipment.
I bought a Western Digital Live HD media player that is WIFI or ethernet attached (you have a choice) and I plug it into the AVR via HDMI.

WD TV Live

I chose it because it can play more types of audio/video formats than any other streaming device.

A

AbyssalLoris

Audioholic
Hey 3db, thanks for this input. The WD box looks like another great solution - and cheap too! I will have to contrast the Popcorn unit and this one to understand what features differ in a product like this. Any thoughts?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey 3db, thanks for this input. The WD box looks like another great solution - and cheap too! I will have to contrast the Popcorn unit and this one to understand what features differ in a product like this. Any thoughts?
I looked at the web page and from a quick read I see it handles 3D and passes through the DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD which I believe the WD does not. I'm not clear if it does codec transcoding; ie transcodong a file from one video format to another which the WD doesn't do. However, the WD does read a lot more different formats than whats listed for the Popcorn. It looks like a quality product for sure. If 3D isn't important, the WD can be had for less than half of the price of this unit.

A

AbyssalLoris

Audioholic
Exactly. I was wondering what the Popcorn offered for twice the price. If its 3D, I don't care at all. Now about transcoding: can you give me an example? Why does the player need to transcode from one format to the other? Is it because the processor/player low-level software does not process a particular format?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
What you need to compare is codec and container support. I know WD Live+ is pretty good on that so it is most likely close call.
I feel the biggest difference would be in GUI and content scrapper (aka how something like "Top Gear S12E10.mkv" becomes nice entry in interface with photo of episode, short description etc). Where WD's is very plain basic, pch is very well done and it has very well done scrapper, which if you want you can replace with alternatives as it has very large community of users.
A400 is their latest model which has fastest processor which enables best video processing and scaling algorithms.

My own solution is quite more technical but also much more flexible. I have tiny atom based pc with nvidia video card. I am running on it OpenElec os (which is based on XBMC running on linux)
You don't get to see linux or any command line at all - it's all gui - very friendly, powerful and customizable

A

AbyssalLoris

Audioholic
Very interesting. There's more to this piece than I thought. I wish it were simpler, but I never complain about choices when it's something I like to do the research on. As for the processor in the streaming box, wouldn't you prefer your AVR to do the video processing?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis