How to Choose the Best Turntable for Vinyl Record Playback

T

Tankman

Audioholic
It's fine. I'm really glad it was just a misunderstanding.:) I'm not much of an audio connoisseur, I also came here to learn and I do everyday. It is fascinating, this world of hi-fi.

On-line communication has a lot of flaws most of them coming from the fact that it is deprived of everything outside language and symbols. So I expect every now and then that even positive people get into trouble. I'm no exception ask anyone. It is different when you can see a friendly face speaking to you, in that case there's usually less trouble;).
So true, It happens a lot, I have seen on some forums misunderstandings, and trolling has caused the whole place to blow up and really good audio hobbyist be it long-time members of short-time members get band and threads locked from mods..lol.
Mike

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Would anyone care to comment?

upload_2017-9-17_22-54-48.jpeg

I suspect this is a wrong way to tilt the needle, it'll only get "slapped" on the outer side?

This TT is for sale in the hood, so I was wondering would this operating "mode":) leave some lasting damage?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

View attachment 22352

I suspect this is a wrong way to tilt the needle, it'll only get "slapped" on the outer side?

This TT is for sale in the hood, so I was wondering would this operating "mode":) leave some lasting damage?
Yes, it will cause lasting damage. However when you buy a used turntable, unless you have an operating microscope to check the stylus, you always need to replace it. A new stylus for a Shure M44 is not a fortune anyway.

While you are about it, you might want to treat your self to the top end Shure cartridge.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
:)I was kinda hoping you'd answer. Thank you. I meant other than cartridge, will anything else get hurt?

I read elsewhere you recommend Shure and it's at the top of my list. I have some reading to do on compliance, though.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

:)I was kinda hoping you'd answer. Thank you. I meant other than cartridge, will anything else get hurt?

I read elsewhere you recommend Shure and it's at the top of my list. I have some reading to do on compliance, though.
Nothing else will be damaged.

highfigh

highfigh

I doubt it will be good for the LPs, but that's about the only damage that will occur.

If you live near any thrift stores, look for a microscope- As I was driving to a Goodwill store to look for some audio equipment, I thought "It would be good to have a microscope, so I could inspect my other cartridges". I went, looked and found nothing in the electronics area, but when I turned to leave, I glanced at a cart at the end of the aisle. Sitting on top, was....a microscope priced at $13.

Here's a link with some info about tonearm mass and compliance- it's from Ortofon, but it applies to any brand-

https://www.ortofon.com/support/support-hifi/resonance-frequency

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

View attachment 22352

Did this TT ever see any DJ use? (i.e. scratching)?

I good clue would be if the seller actually has a pair of these.

But, at least that stylus doesn't look like the typical choice for scratching, so likely OK.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
@highfigh @slipperybidness Thank you, guys.

I'm not trying to save this particular needle. They are expendable any way. I was interested in the head shell and the rest of the electronics.

Yes, he has two of them. If he did some scratching, same question, is it dangerous just for the cartridge or more?

As @TLS Guy said, decent cartridges don't cost a fortune.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@highfigh @slipperybidness Thank you, guys.

I'm not trying to save this particular needle. They are expendable any way. I was interested in the head shell and the rest of the electronics.

Yes, he has two of them. If he did some scratching, same question, is it dangerous just for the cartridge or more?

As @TLS Guy said, decent cartridges don't cost a fortune.
Well, I own an SL1210, and I can tell you with certainty that these things are built like tanks! To my knowledge, scratching is only really bad for the stylus and the vinyl. So, it may not be a deal breaker. In general, do these look like they have been well taken care of?

Do you mind telling us how much he wants for 1 of them? You may be able to use that DJ use to your advantage to get the cost down.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I would be very hesitant to buy a direct drive TT that has ben used for scratching. Probably doesn't damage the motors, it's just the idea of stalling the motor and forcing it in reverse repeatedly has me thinking "heat to the windings" that isn't what they were intended to see.

I'm very likely WAY over-thinking on that because I don't know squat about any of it. ;)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I would be very hesitant to buy a direct drive TT that has ben used for scratching. Probably doesn't damage the motors, it's just the idea of stalling the motor and forcing it in reverse repeatedly has me thinking "heat to the windings" that isn't what they were intended to see.

I'm very likely WAY over-thinking on that because I don't know squat about any of it. ;)
Well, on the Technics, the platter is an integral magnetic part of the motor spindle. So, you are not really mechanically turning the motor backwards, only the decoupled magnetic spindle.

But, to be honest, a lot of DJs will also have a "slip-mat" and that will help decouple the mechanical motion too.

All I'm saying is that DJ use does not rule it out, but I would certainly try to use that as fodder for price negotiation.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Do you mind telling us how much he wants for 1 of them? You may be able to use that DJ use to your advantage to get the cost down.
:D:D:D

Not at all. He wants 1350$. Now, before all hell brakes loose, he's not getting that from me. But, from what I see, he's not getting that from anyone else. The ad is going for some time and he says it's not the final price. So I'm on a prowl.

Hopefully you did notice it is MK5 so you know this cannot be older than 15 years.

The TT looks like new. You won't understand the ad but here, you can see pics. You can also drop the ad text into Google translate if you want.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Given the use doesn't damage anything it seems worth buying if you can get the price down to what YOU are willing to pay.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
:D:D:D

Not at all. He wants 1350$. Now, before all hell brakes loose, he's not getting that from me. But, from what I see, he's not getting that from anyone else. The ad is going for some time and he says it's not the final price. So I'm on a prowl.

Hopefully you did notice it is MK5 so you know this cannot be older than 15 years.

The TT looks like new. You won't understand the ad but here, you can see pics. You can also drop the ad text into Google translate if you want.
For what it's worth...I paid right at $1100 for mine, NEW in box, almost exactly 6 years ago. That price was a bit inflated b/c the entire Technics line of TTs had just been discontinued, so I knew that I better grab one while they could still be found new and before the price went up more. I went with the SL1210 vs the 1200, simply b/c I wanted the black model :cool:

Today, they are going for right around $2k new on Amazon!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00012F6DS/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

I do see that it looks like the dust cover comes with it. Note: The stock dust cover on the 1210 model does not come with hinges to attach it to the TT. Technics knew that the 1210 model was marketed towards DJs with a few features, and the lack of hinges was one of those features since DJs remove the dust covers anyway.

If it were me, I would probably wave $800 cash at him and see if he bites.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
For what it's worth...I paid right at $1100 for mine, NEW in box, almost exactly 6 years ago. That price was a bit inflated b/c the entire Technics line of TTs had just been discontinued, so I knew that I better grab one while they could still be found new and before the price went up more. I went with the SL1210 vs the 1200, simply b/c I wanted the black model :cool:

Today, they are going for right around $2k new on Amazon!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00012F6DS/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

I do see that it looks like the dust cover comes with it. Note: The stock dust cover on the 1210 model does not come with hinges to attach it to the TT. Technics knew that the 1210 model was marketed towards DJs with a few features, and the lack of hinges was one of those features since DJs remove the dust covers anyway.

If it were me, I would probably wave $800 cash at him and see if he bites.
So, you have MK5 as well? And you're saying dust cover is simply placed on the TT like a dome?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
So, you have MK5 as well? And you're saying dust cover is simply placed on the TT like a dome?
Yes, I own the SL1210MK5, and I can confirm that this model does not include any hinges to attach the dust cover! Yes, the dust cover simply sits up top, then you remove it completely to place a record on the platter. When I use it, I just set the dust cover aside. This doesn't bother me, I knew this at purchase. Though, I will likely buy and install (or maybe 3D print) the hinges one day.

The TT has the spots to mount the hinges, and the dust cover has the spots to mount hinges too. But for the SL1210MK5, the hinges are considered "an optional accessory".

Like I say, it was marketed towards DJs, and the hingeless cover was one of the DJ features. The "pitch control defeat" button is another feature that put this model directly in the sights of DJs.

Edit: If this particular TT has hinges already, then the original owner likely bought them and installed them, but that is unlikely for DJ use.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis