How to catch a thief?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Part of me is reluctant to even start such a thread because a thief might benefit from such information.

So yesterday, I was involved in a bit of a stakeout in catching a suspect. Seller was a no show. Very skittish. A few of you might have noted my recent biz pj thread.

One of the items stolen is an extremely rare type of computer. I do not list it for now, as I don't want to risk having this thread pop up in a search function, at least for now. Let's just say that there are only 10 units in the entire CONUS for sale right now, and only one of them has the exact same specification as my friend's stolen unit.

We've tracked down a lot of info. We now have seller's name, job title, even a few photos. With reluctance, I let my friend use my cell phone to leave him a message. I advised him in buying a disposable type of cell phone, but we did not have time to purchase one. He saw my reluctance, and said that he'll just use his own, but I capitulated as we know that the thief could easily be tipped off. The thief would surely know who he robbed from.

Anyhoo, we suspect thieves are generally not very smart. Because, well, crime doesn't pay. Of course I'm not taking about the rare mastermind...

Been trying to see if a certain friend or two can run a background check on our behalf.

The cops don't do anything about it. I understand that saving man-hours is very important, and they are most likely under-staffed. There were DNA samples taken by CSI at the residence. (Its all about DNA now, not fingerprints). They left a single glove sitting on the table, that belonged to the resident. Strange. The cops that made a follow visit thought this piece was huge, but CSI said they already had enough samples.

It seems that the police will not and cannot do anything until we have hard evidence. Getting a hold of the stolen item would finally be hard evidence, or so we hoped.

We were trying to buy this item, and whether or not it was the stolen unit, I was to take pics of the transaction, and my brother was in the lot busy taking license photos, from inside his vehicle.

Of course, none of us conversed or ever made eye contact, and arrived at separate times.

Kinda nuts. I suppose our chances are extraordinarily slim.

I know that crime goes up during bad economy, and this is becoming very true where I live. Bank robberies are the highest in at least 3 decades. Also, during the calendar year, its always the holiday season when robberies hit their peak.

Just blabbering away... thanks for reading...

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Part of me is reluctant to even start such a thread because a thief might benefit from such information.

So yesterday, I was involved in a bit of a stakeout in catching a suspect. Seller was a no show. Very skittish. A few of you might have noted my recent biz pj thread.

One of the items stolen is an extremely rare type of computer. I do not list it for now, as I don't want to risk having this thread pop up in a search function, at least for now. Let's just say that there are only 10 units in the entire CONUS for sale right now, and only one of them has the exact same specification as my friend's stolen unit.

We've tracked down a lot of info. We now have seller's name, job title, even a few photos. With reluctance, I let my friend use my cell phone to leave him a message. I advised him in buying a disposable type of cell phone, but we did not have time to purchase one. He saw my reluctance, and said that he'll just use his own, but I capitulated as we know that the thief could easily be tipped off. The thief would surely know who he robbed from.

Anyhoo, we suspect thieves are generally not very smart. Because, well, crime doesn't pay. Of course I'm not taking about the rare mastermind...

Been trying to see if a certain friend or two can run a background check on our behalf.

The cops don't do anything about it. I understand that saving man-hours is very important, and they are most likely under-staffed. There were DNA samples taken by CSI at the residence. (Its all about DNA now, not fingerprints). They left a single glove sitting on the table, that belonged to the resident. Strange. The cops that made a follow visit thought this piece was huge, but CSI said they already had enough samples.

It seems that the police will not and cannot do anything until we have hard evidence. Getting a hold of the stolen item would finally be hard evidence, or so we hoped.

We were trying to buy this item, and whether or not it was the stolen unit, I was to take pics of the transaction, and my brother was in the lot busy taking license photos, from inside his vehicle.

Of course, none of us conversed or ever made eye contact, and arrived at separate times.

I know that crime goes up during bad economy, and this is becoming very true where I live. Bank robberies are the highest in at least 3 decades. Also, during the calendar year, its always the holiday season when robberies hit their peak.

Good grief, meat! Write this up and we'll get it on as a CBS Sunday Night Movie! I have to find your other thread......

Good luck catching a thief!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

If crime didn't pay, there would be no criminals. In the early '80s, I read that a good car stereo thief could steal between 30 and 50 radios per day. Even if it was in a week, getting $50/radio is pretty good money.

*67 blocks the dialer's number.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
If crime didn't pay, there would be no criminals. In the early '80s, I read that a good car stereo thief could steal between 30 and 50 radios per day. Even if it was in a week, getting $50/radio is pretty good money.

There is a fairly large amount of literature on crime and its intended benefits to the criminal versus actual benefits. The common theme is that it is very rare for the majority of criminals to make anything close to a living wage (or minimum wage for that matter) breaking the law.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Just be careful, whatever you guy end up doing or cornering this guy. Who knows if he is armed or not. Be careful.

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
Just be careful, whatever you guy end up doing or cornering this guy. Who knows if he is armed or not. Be careful.
Go in armed. If I was staking someone out, I know I wouldn't be there without my piece.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Good luck. Hope you catch him and all ends well.
Thanks! It wasn't my plan really, but my friend asked, and so I obliged...

There is a fairly large amount of literature on crime and its intended benefits to the criminal versus actual benefits. The common theme is that it is very rare for the majority of criminals to make anything close to a living wage (or minimum wage for that matter) breaking the law.
Well... I'm sure a few could eek out a living, or perhaps boost their normal income. However, there are risks of legal fees, bodily harm, or death, volunteer hours, jail time, etc. I know a guy who beat the living crap out of someone with a crowbar when he caught a guy trying to break into his car. The handyman that is currently working on the door of the friend who was burglarized knows a guy who booby-trapped his residence after being very angered by a previous burglary. Well, the rigged shotgun killed someone. He's now in jail for a lengthy sentence for manslaughter.

Even if I didn't have any moral qualms about burglarizing, I wouldn't if only because I think its STUPID. JMO, though.

Go in armed. If I was staking someone out, I know I wouldn't be there without my piece.
Thanks. Yeah mtry, that was my feeling as well. My friend wanted to do absolutely nothing in terms of cornering. Only wants the computer, and was counting on us for license plates. Let the cops handle it from there.

I warned my friends still. I remember some years ago, some local burglary of sorts, where a van was spotted. A couple of kids believed they saw the van on the road sometime later, and well, they were right. They started following them, chasing, and the back doors of the van flew open, and the burglars riddled the whole car with bullets, killing both in the car.

I know a cop who would wear his piece when off duty, at least he did many years ago. However, I wouldn't. Just my style, and I'd be too freaked out with a firearm, in a public place of all places. I'm sure it might be different if I was an experienced peace officer.

-------------

I talked with a woman I know, and I asked her to see if her husband might be able to do a backgroound check as he used to be a detective of sorts. We'll see.

We suppose there's a chance that this guy might have bought the unit for very cheap, and is simply trying to turn a quick buck; its possible he has the stolen item but was not the burglar. Of course, even if a long shot, maybe this fellow just somehow has the exact setup of a computer. The only one for sale in the US, and only 15 miles away. Hmrz.

I think the police woudl have a lot more resources if they weren't tasked with earning money for the local government via issuing traffic tickets to "protect" us from evil speeders. That's always been a pet peeve of mine. Police are pretty much set aside for handling domestic disputes and issuing traffic tickets these days. Crimes rarely get adequately investigated unless somebody gets hurt or killed.

Meanwhile I see cops left and right "hiding" on highways attempting to catch a guy doing 82 in a 70 mph zone...

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I think the police woudl have a lot more resources if they weren't tasked with earning money for the local government via issuing traffic tickets to "protect" us from evil speeders. That's always been a pet peeve of mine. Police are pretty much set aside for handling domestic disputes and issuing traffic tickets these days. Crimes rarely get adequately investigated unless somebody gets hurt or killed.

Meanwhile I see cops left and right "hiding" on highways attempting to catch a guy doing 82 in a 70 mph zone...
Oh oh. Sounds like some unhappy driver recently got a ticket. ;)

Clint, more people die on the highways than in burgleries. It's a good service to provide.

But you're right, more resources directed toward (usually) drug related home invasions would be helpful.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I don't think your average criminal is 'well read'.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
This would of course exclude politicians...who would skew the criminal earnings curve. ;)

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
This would of course exclude politicians...who would skew the criminal earnings curve. ;)
That's why I said most. Most criminals are blue collar. CEOs, people in public office, lobbyists they are just dirty bastards that can afford to pay their sentences off.

annunaki

annunaki

My brother is a sherriff's deputy with one of the counties here. He despises traffic duty other than getting drunks off the roads. He like taking care of real business.

Matt34

Matt34

Sorry Joe, not trying to take this anymore off topic but I would like to address this. ;)

It's getting worse, a bunch of cities are now pushing their law enforcement agencies (ie. some are bringing back quotas) for more revenue due to the enconomy and their failing budget plans. You can also be certain we will all be seeing more photo-radar and stoplight cameras even though satistically they do not make the roads safer.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There was an article the other day about some guy who was carjacked and they took his phone. He had one of his friends text to his phone that he had drugs and hot chicks and they would come to his house if he sent his address. They saw it and responded and the cops went to the house and found them and the car there. LMAO!

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai

Theres gold in them there hills,in this case wallets.

Police are huge income generators.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry Joe, not trying to take this anymore off topic but I would like to address this. ;)
No worries. In fact, I'll help you do it! :p btw, the name is John. Yeah, with the "h" in there, as God intended. Ain't that right j_garcia? ;)

It's getting worse, a bunch of cities are now pushing their law enforcement agencies (ie. some are bringing back quotas) for more revenue due to the enconomy and their failing budget plans. You can also be certain we will all be seeing more photo-radar and stoplight cameras even though satistically they do not make the roads safer.
OMG, the cameras. I HATE them. I honestly, truly think they are more dangerous than not. I now either brake really hard, or accelerate very hard when the yellow is lit.

We had some very, very bad rains some years ago here. Yeah, people in CA don't know how to drive with bad weather. There was a total idiot in front of me, and, well, I gave him space. I just most barely did not make it past the crosswalk when the red hit. I gave the terrible driver in front of me probably close to a 100 ft, and I was doing 26 in a 35 mph zone. I am 100% sure a cop would not have ticketed me. I almost followed the driver so that I could yell at him. The ticket with fees was over $380.

My close friend and fellow musician got one as well. He WANTED to stop, but as an aware driver, he duly noted that the person behind him was accelerating. So, he's out near $400, but at least he wasn't injured at the time, nor had damage to his car. When I went to traffic school for my ticket, I specifically asked about my friend's situation. The educator recommended to hit the brakes and let him hit you. WTF. This way nothing is your fault. Well, who the heck is going to risk injury and severe damage to their vehicle, with all the headaches involved with both.

There is a city near me that suffered a class action suit. Ya know how we get accustomed to the lengths of the "yellow" lights at different intersections? Well, they implemented a stoplight camera at a busy intersection, and decreased the yellow timer without telling anyone. Some smart citizens figured this out and provided evidence somehow. Nutz.

There was an article the other day about some guy who was carjacked and they took his phone. He had one of his friends text to his phone that he had drugs and hot chicks and they would come to his house if he sent his address. They saw it and responded and the cops went to the house and found them and the car there. LMAO!
Ha. Maybe 4-5 years ago, I was picking up some beers at a local convenience store. I was in the back, and a couple of folks up front yelled out, "Hey, is that your truck?!" (Ranger, same one I drive today). Wuh? I quickly went outside, and someone had crunched my driver door, and there they were sitting in their car. They were obviously drunk, and it was the xmas season. Without any anger, without any intent to report them in for drunk driving, I was going to look for them to claim responsibility, and simply tell them they shouldn't be on the road. I looked at them. They looked at me. They started slowly reversing. I made it very obvious to them they I was looking at their license, looked back at them, looked at their license, looked back at them . . . and they continued to leave. I walk back in the store, write down the plates, call the cops. They found them drunk as skunks parked in front of their home. Since they weren't driving, no DUI, but still a hit 'n run.

The two folks had switched seats, woman then in the driver's seat. She complained the whole time in the patrol car, an officer told me, claiming she had family/friends in the force. Officer replied that just recently their superior hit a car when drunk in a parking lot, and he got no leniency either. Anyways, I swear, some folks . . .

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
Clint, more people die on the highways than in burgleries. It's a good service to provide.
A quick googling to support what I'm about to claim.

In 2004 (the quickest figures I could find without my well-documented research available), the US had the highest per capita death rate by auto accidents in the world among recognized developed countries, at 14.53. The US also has the lowest average national speed limits in the world among developed nations.

Germany, by comparison, had a per capita rate of 7.09 and they have some of the highest average national speed limits in the world. Speed doesn't kill, stupid drivers do.

In Germany, it costs upwards of $1000 to obtain a driver's license, and you are only eligible for one after somewhere around 30 hours of professional instruction. The fact is, America is full to the coasts with terrible drivers.

There are plenty of other examples (Japan, Canada, England, China, India among them) that display this trend even further. Access to driving PRIVLEDGES is more limited, and vehicular incidents are lower per-capita.

I stress the word PRIVLEDGES because too many people think its a right to drive when it shouldn't be. It's an earned privledge, not a granted right the day you turn 16/17/etc, and it's that "my right" mentality that causes most vehicular incidents to occur.

My apologies to OP for the long jack, but it's a subject I've had strong beliefs about for most of my life, and I reiterate everyone else saying BE CAREFUL.

No electronics are worth one's life or health... even if they are awesome. =)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis