How to absorb 7-10khz only?

B

Bevan

Audioholic
i've got high frequency(>8khz) hearing loss in my right ear, and was thinking of using the tone controls on my arcam to boost the trebel(7-10khz so arcam tell me).

The tone control cannot be applied to only one channel(can any amps do this?). So I obviously need to then kill this extra trebel on the left side somehow.

What acoustical treatments might target this freuency range and without absorbing much bellow 6khz?

I'm thinking maybe a very thin pile carpet, but i'm only guessing at what frequencies this might work.

Thanks very much for any input.

B.

E

Eric Apple

Junior Audioholic
I don't think it would work out only boosting only one channel when listening with speakers. I would image that would really throw off the imaging. My guess is you would want to EQ both channels.

With headphones, I think it would work great. I believe you would want to get an equilizer with independant channel controls. There are a number of these sold by Behringer, Audiosource, and others with many under $200 and a number under $100. The Behringer feedback destoyers would work well for this and are under $100.

Your receiver will need to support an EQ loop, or you can run analog between your most used source(s) and the EQ and then your receiver.

N/A to headphone use -- If you use a seperate amp, you can put the EQ between the pre-amp and the amp and modify the analog signals there. Going this route opens up EQ'ing all sources including the multi channel formats with minimum hassel.

B

Bevan

Audioholic
thanks for the reply.

i imagine it would only 'throw off' the imaging of instruments in that freq range, such as cymbals. but at the moment the soundstage is skewed anyway, with cymbals being way left of where they should be. so it might actually work as i'm hoping?

i do have a bfd that i used to use when i had a sub. it would work for my purposes, but i dont want to run a $5000 signal through a $100 piece of hardware as i'm sure the signal degredation would be noticable(with a LF signal it isnt but HF is another story)

I'm actually thinking of buying a second arcam A85 and connecting cd players left channel out to the one integrated amp, and connecting the cd players right chanel out to the other integrated, and then using the trebel booste on this integrated alone. it wastes two unused channels and will cost an extra $1000 but it might be more effective than going the acoustical route?

cheers

B.

E

Eric Apple

Junior Audioholic
I don't think you will ever get it right going the room treatment route. I still think you're better off with an eq rather then tone controls on another pre. Not enought control with tone settings.

How about a better EQ then the BFD ? You can get much better quality and analog instead of digital. There is some pretty high end stuff out there.

B

Bevan

Audioholic
any suggestions? i read today about rives audios PARC. apparently it is acoustically transparent, but unfortunately only goes up to 350hz. and it costs $3000.

what other high-end parrametric eq's are there?

cheers

b.

E

Eric Apple

Junior Audioholic
Rane seems to be popular amoung my band friends. I suggest calling up sweetwater.com, and looking in your local yellow pages under recording studio equipment, and having a few conversations. A lot of the equipment is going to be XLR type in/outs. I've not been in the market for a good e.q. and don't have a solid recommendation for you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis