How much receiver wattage for a 200 watt speaker

J

jefster1

Audiophyte
Hello,

I recently purchased a Definitive Technology Mythos Sound bar and a Denon AVR-X1000 receiver.

The speakers power handling is 20-200 watts per channel and the receivers power out put is 80 watts per channel.

Am I under feeding my Mythos speaker?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
That 80 watts will bring out all that speaker can do, assuming you use a subwoofer. If you don't use a sub, even 200 watts wont make them sound good.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Hello,

I recently purchased a Definitive Technology Mythos Sound bar and a Denon AVR-X1000 receiver.

The speakers power handling is 20-200 watts per channel and the receivers power out put is 80 watts per channel.

Am I under feeding my Mythos speaker?
Moving to 200W would make your soundbar about 4db louder before maxing out the amp.

Of course: you'd almost certainly be well into heavy distortion by then.

You should be fine. I do agree with Mark: add a sub if you don't have one.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
jefster, welcome to the forum! Are you a Chuck fan? :D

I agree with these guys. I own the Denon AVR-E400 that is just a bit more powerful than yours, and it has plenty of power for all seven of my speakers. That Denon AVR-X1000 is a nice unit and shouldn't have trouble with your sound bar.

J

jefster1

Audiophyte
jefster, welcome to the forum! Are you a Chuck fan? :D

I agree with these guys. I own the Denon AVR-E400 that is just a bit more powerful than yours, and it has plenty of power for all seven of my speakers. That Denon AVR-X1000 is a nice unit and shouldn't have trouble with your sound bar.

Thanks gents! Yes I will have a subwoofer.

J

jefster1

Audiophyte
Yamaha RX-V375 5.1 vs Denon AVRX-1000

Thanks gents! Yes I will have a subwoofer.
Hey guys.. one more question. While doing some more research on receivers I stumbled upon this high rating /score on the Yamaha RX-V375. It appears to have more amps then my Denon AVRX-1000 and it's about $200 bucks cheaper then the Denon i purchased. specs below. The yamaha is also 4k pass through ready ..denon is not. Pure wattage is my priority and I really don't care about the bells and whistles. i.e air play and auto room calibration features.

Thoughts? Should I return my Denon and save some cash?

Yamaha RX V375
5-channel powerful surround sound
100 W per channel (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9% THD, 1 ch driven)
70 W per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.09% THD, 2 ch driven)

Denon X1000
80 watts, 5 channel power (8 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, THD 0.08%

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thoughts? Should I return my Denon and save some cash?

Yamaha RX V375
5-channel powerful surround sound
100 W per channel (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9% THD, 1 ch driven)

Denon X1000
I would keep the Denon - do not get caught up with the over-blown marketing specs
That Yamaha is less efficient than that Denon model - the Yamahas from about 5XX
up, are where they tend to be more efficient.

That Yamaha is 80 watts 1 channel - then 70 watts 2 channel

However, your call

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Yamaha RX V375

Denon X1000
Hi. The two specs that I quoted from your post are more apples to apples, showing that the Denon has a bit more power than the Yamaha. You want to make sure that you compare power measurements for the same conditions.

That said, either one should be just fine for your sound bar. Be sure to check out the connections and features between the two models to make sure that the Yamaha has everything that you want. One difference between the two is the auto calibration system: the Denon uses Audyssey, and the Yamaha uses YPAO. Which one is better? Ask 10 people, and you'll get 11 different answers. :D In other words, try them out for yourself to decide on that one.

$200 isn't chump change. If you like the Yamaha, I say go for it.

Btw, how do you like your sound bar? Do you have the Mythos SSA-50?

J

jefster1

Audiophyte
Hey Adam .. thanks for the feed back. I am glad I checked with you guys, the specs that these manufacturers post can be difficult to decipher if you're a newbie like me. I am staying with the Denon.

Yes the Mythos is an SSA-50. I haven't hooked it up yet; it's been in the box for 3 months along with my 60 inch Panasonic plasma.

A buddy and I running the wire behind my sheet rock tomorrow morning and hanging both above pieces above my fireplace. I can't wait to get everything hooked up. If you two have any advice on the wiring or hook up let me know..
Thanks,
Jeff

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

A buddy and I running the wire behind my sheet rock tomorrow morning and hanging both above pieces above my fireplace. I can't wait to get everything hooked up. If you two have any advice on the wiring or hook up let me know..
Thanks,
Jeff
3 month just hanging around? ;) :D

How high will that TV be? While it looks good up there, especially when you are standing, it will be hard on the viewers necks while sitting. I would urge you to find an alternate location closer to eye level during viewing. But, that is just me.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
If you two have any advice on the wiring or hook up let me know.
My advice is to install some conduit (e.g. PVC pipe) in the wall where you want to run wires. Why? Because you might later decide that you want more and/or different wires.

Btw...a 60" Panasonic plasma?! My jealousy is flaring. :D I have a 50" one from 2009 and still love it. I've thought about getting a new one before they aren't available anymore, but I might just wait for 4k displays.

A

Ampdog

Audioholic
Jefster,

Perhaps a rehash of some basics regarding amplifier output power.

Firstly (and not accusing any brand of misleading) but the output power conditions need to be specified, or small differences might be academic.

Then do keep in mind that the least noticable/significant loudness difference is of the order of 3 dB. That is a factor 2 in power. I am not talking direct comparison to try prove golden earmanship, but day-to-day listening. Thus, don't seriously think of changing amps where the power ratio is less than 2-fold. E.g. saying 100W is 'better' than 80W is quite academic, talking power alone. Other differences might weigh more heavily.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis