how hot is too hot for Yamaha V2500 wth Dynaudio setup

D

Dinkar Rai

Audioholic Intern
i have connected the Yamaha V2500 to my Dynaudio 52SE, 42C, 42W (rears) and mission E80 subwoofer. the speakers are 4 ohms whereas the amp can drive 6 ohms and 8 ohms speakers. however as per some posts and also info on this site i am driving the speakers with 8 ohms setting on the amp.

i hve observed that the amp does heat up quite a bit. i have placed the amp with large open space around and above it. still it feets HOT to touch. how hot is too hot for the yamaha. i hope i do not damage the yamaha. the internal fan does come on but the amp is still hot

why does the amp get that hot? would a denon have performed better with the dynas or even that would have become that hot? what are the options available to me to cool down the amp except dipping it in water.....................

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Just place a fan over the transformer of the 2500 and it would be fine, my Z9 heats up quite well to, haven't had any problems with it and have been running it for a year.

Try setting it to 4ohms and see if it heats up less.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Running 8 ohm speakers would cool it down. But as stated the amp is really not designed to run 4 ohms. Its has to put out twice the current than an 8 ohm load. This is where the heat is coming from.

But as Yamahaluver stated a fan from a computer would help a good bit. But to be honest you really should get an amp that is designed to handle a 4 ohm load. Plus with the better amp your Dynaudios will sound ALOT better.

Overtime the excess heat in the Yamaha might cause premature failure of componets. Being that your pushing it harder than its designed for.

D

Dinkar Rai

Audioholic Intern
yamahaluver

the rxv2500 does not have any setting for 4 ohms. only 6 ohms and 8 ohms. i actually did not realise this when i bought it.

D

Dinkar Rai

Audioholic Intern
anamorphic96 said:
Plus with the better amp your Dynaudios will sound ALOT better. Overtime the excess heat in the Yamaha might cause premature failure of componets. Being that your pushing it harder than its designed for.
what better amps do you have in mind? are you talking about Nad? what about denon 3805 or Pioneer 1015?

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Receiver vs. Amp

The denon 3805 or Pioneer 1015 you mention above are receivers, not amps and neither is designed to drive 4 ohms.
However, your Yamaha makes an excelent Pre Amp/Processor. Use the Preamp outputs on the back of the Yamaha to connect an external amplifier to your 4 ohm speakers. You can buy a 2 channel amp if your fronts are the only 4 ohm load. Otherwise, buy a 5 or 7 channel amp as necessary for your settup.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
What kind of budget are you looking at to purchase an amp(s)?

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
anamorphic96 said:
Running 8 ohm speakers would cool it down. It has to put out twice the current than an 8 ohm load.
I just don't get this business about impedance :mad: . I have just read the following:

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/spkramp.html

...and I'd be much obliged if you can help me understand certain passages from it.

...if the amplifier is producing 20 Volts at the output terminals, Ohms law tells us that there are 50 watts being fed into an 8 Ohm speaker. If we connect a 4 Ohm speaker, halving the original load, the same 20 Volts would now produce 100 watts
Ok, the above clearly shows that for a similar voltage, and considering only impedance here, a 4-ohm speaker will recieve twice the power of an 8-ohm speaker. The article then goes on to say...

From this example we clearly see that each time the load resistance is halved, the amplifier should ideally double its output.
What?! Did I miss something here? We have just shown that the 4-ohm speakers will sound louder for the same voltage from the amp than an 8-ohm speaker. Why on earth is the amplifier suddenly required to double its output?

Regards

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Don't forget that they're talking about output power. Power is measured in watts and is equal to Volts X Ampts (current), or V x I.

Here's the Ohm's Law power wheel, it makes for quick calculations of voltage, power, resistance, and current.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Buckle-meister said:
What?! Did I miss something here? We have just shown that the 4-ohm speakers will sound louder for the same voltage from the amp than an 8-ohm speaker. Why on earth is the amplifier suddenly required to double its output?

Regards
Because if the voltage stays the same then the current has doubled with the 4 ohm load. Thus the total power has increased by a factor of 2. Think of it like this:

If you have a hose, running water through it, it is a 1" hose and the pressure is 10psi.

Then you have a hose that is 2" with the same 10 psi, which is going to put out more water? The 2" hose.

The PSI hasn't changed so the only thing that is increased is the amount of water.

It's the same way with your speakers, the 8 ohm are the 1" hose and the 4 ohm represent the 2" hose. More water (current) flows through the 2" but the water pressure (voltage) is the same.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis