Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
I just ordered my first amp, a monolith 7 after reading butt loads of reviews. I think I can deal with weight all right (93lbs), but people say it gets hot. My Denon 5200 seems to get hot in the cabinet but ventilation fans keep it in check. So how hot is enough to be concerned? If I run all 7 channels at high volume will I still be able to put my hand on top of the grill? My cabinet will have 6 inches of space above the amp as well as a open face front. I fully intend you install another 4 inch fan behind the amp too. Need a lil' feed back please.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I just ordered my first amp, a monolith 7 after reading butt loads of reviews. I think I can deal with weight all right (93lbs), but people say it gets hot. My Denon 5200 seems to get hot in the cabinet but ventilation fans keep it in check. So how hot is enough to be concerned? If I run all 7 channels at high volume will I still be able to put my hand on top of the grill? My cabinet will have 6 inches of space above the amp as well as a open face front. I fully intend you install another 4 inch fan behind the amp too. Need a lil' feed back please.
I think with the fans you'll be just fine. I was gonna suggest fans but you are already installing them. You'll be good I think. That is a great amp I'm reading.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I live in the Arizona desert so I have opinions about heat and what's hot and what's not. Putting heat producing electronics in cabinets will allow heat to build and will ultimately shorten the life of your equipment if steps and precautions aren't taken.

It sounds like you have taken necessary precautions by having 6 inches of headspace. My manufacturer specifies 6 inches of free headspace as a requirement so that's a pretty safe guesstimate. Adding fans is another excellent idea. I added in an AC Infinity Aircom S9 automated fan unit to my system to exhaust heat and it works great.

How hot is too hot? Whatever your manufacturer says in its owners manual is what you should use as a guide. What the Aircom S9 operations manual says is that it will kick on at 88 degrees airtemp coming off the unit and cool the unit back down to 84 degrees. To extrapolate a bit, that would mean 84 degrees is a safe operating temp and anything over 88 may be grounds for concern. Don't take that as gospel, but that's the operating parameters of my Aircom.

I know you can run electronics in higher heat than that without issue. Many people do because of restrictions on where they can place equipment. But, if you have a choice, cooler is better every time.

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Well that's reassuring as I didn't want to ditch my cabinet and start over. I think I'll go with a second 6 inch Airplate w/controller. Thanks for responding.

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
So I pulled the pin and bought the Monolith 7 and set it up. I've been running various channels at high volume...for a few hours. From the reviews I read about the Monolith they listed the heat level as a con. Apparently that's very subjective because my Denon 5200 runs hotter than this amp. Incidentally that's one of the reason I bought the Monolith; to relieve the load of the Denon.

So don't be deluded about this issue, especially if you run few fans. But as far the heft? Yeah it really weighs 93 lbs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So I pulled the pin and bought the Monolith 7 and set it up. I've been running various channels at high volume...for a few hours. From the reviews I read about the Monolith they listed the heat level as a con. Apparently that's very subjective because my Denon 5200 runs hotter than this amp. Incidentally that's one of the reason I bought the Monolith; to relieve the load of the Denon.

So don't be deluded about this issue, especially if you run few fans. But as far the heft? Yeah it really weighs 93 lbs.
Curious, does the Denon run significantly cooler now with the external amp? Do you use the Denon's video processing?

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Yes it does run cooler. As far as I could tell, the amp section within the Denon was in the back. And yes, I use the video processing which is located more towards the front so it's warmer to the touch there.

The review by Gene and Hugh stated that there is a fan in the Denon but I think that's balonney. I've run it max volume and have never seen nor heard any fan come on. It's not mention in the 350 page manual either.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes it does run cooler. As far as I could tell, the amp section within the Denon was in the back. And yes, I use the video processing which is located more towards the front so it's warmer to the touch there.

The review by Gene and Hugh stated that there is a fan in the Denon but I think that's balonney. I've run it max volume and have never seen nor heard any fan come on. It's not mention in the 350 page manual either.
Quite a few avrs have small fans you'd never notice nor are user controllable so probably not in the manual for that reason (and service/technical manuals would probably show them but when was the last time you saw one of those with an avr?). I asked about the video as that's just another heat source that can often be bypassed but I suppose that would be dependent on source/display needs (I don't use my avrs' video processing).

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Actually I don't use much video processing at all. Mostly pass through.

Next time I pull the Denon out I'm gunna take off the top panel and see about those fans. Great. Now i won't sleep tonight because I'll be wondering where they are on the inside.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Check this old article out from audioholics (http://www.audioholics.com/diy-audio/heat-buildup-and-your-components). Basically, keep temp to less than 85F. Get a IR temp gun and if temp is 85F or higher, get a cheap laptop fan and place on top (easiest solution). You can go fancy and get one of these: http://www.acinfinity.com/receiver-amp-cooling-fans/ . A video of this can be found here:

Hope this helps.
I just bought one of those and it does a great job of keeping my avr nice and cool.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Actually I don't use much video processing at all. Mostly pass through.

Next time I pull the Denon out I'm gunna take off the top panel and see about those fans. Great. Now i won't sleep tonight because I'll be wondering where they are on the inside.
LOL. Might be easier to search internet images?

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Update. I've pushed the amp hard and it runs cooler than the Denon. The extra power is very nice too. Having zero experience with amps I'd say this one does what's asked of it and improved my overall experience. That is all. Carry on.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis