How High to Mount TV Outlet

M

mobiledynamics

Enthusiast
This is not for a specific application....but assume 60-65 screen.

I'm currently in the midst of remodeling a wall and want to put a outlet for the TV . Currently I'm thinking at 52 or 48" High. I'll just throw a picture frame or mirror on it.

The only issue I would see would be the *top bar* of whatever mount I end up using against the *finished* height of the outlet. Which I don't think it will conflict at that height. I just don't want to be to low or too high...

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Would I be safe to assume you don't have the mount or the TV yet?

I'd leave a wire coiled in the stud cavity, a cavity that's centered where you want the TV to go.
I like to bring the low voltage wires up on the opposite side of that stud or opposite bay.
Later when you know exactly where the mount goes, cut a hole for the boxes and fish out the wires.
Good Luck and be careful out there.

M

mobiledynamics

Enthusiast
Correct. There is no TV in this location right now and or will be in the near future. In looking at a couple of mounted ones I have in the house right now, all Chief mounts....48 seems to be a good general compromise on location on height.....unless I do tilt, pull (in which I would mount the TV higher due to how it will be used/seen).

I've got the HDMI, coax, network drops all pulled already in the same location.

Just debating where to cut that hole ;-)

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
There is no exact standard.
I just double checked the three I put in my house. The kitchen is 5'-2"
The family room is at 4ft and as you mentioned that seems like a good spot.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I think 4' is probably a good spot as well.

I wall mounted the TV in our new house and I had the electrician put the plug at 5' from the floor I think and the top of the plug is right about at the top of the TV. The TV BARELY covers up the outlet. :eek:

I guess I thought the TV was going to be a little higher than I ended up putting it.

Make sure you're certain about your TV height.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
For proper ergonomics when watching the TV, eye height (when seated) should fall in the bottom 1/3 - 1/2 of the screen.

Rhyno37

Rhyno37

Enthusiast
I would try and get a recessed outlet and hide it behind the TV, concealing the wires.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis