How Do You Connect?

I

izub

Audioholic Intern
An HDMI on the TV, and an HDMI on the DVD, but the receiver only has Y-component for video and Optical/Coax for audio (in addition to multi-channel inputs which I want to avoid if possible) Is there some switch device that goes from HDMI to component? Is my best option DVD into TV, out from TV with component, and Opt or coax for the audio? How much signal is lost with this setup if any? Thanks for any help

A

AVFriend

Audiophyte
If it were me, I would directly connect the DVD to The TV via the HDMI cable. Then I would run the DVD coaxial to the receiver for two reasons:

1 The coaxial cable is much more robust than optical.
2 You can use any 75 OHM video cable for coaxial audio. (Don't let a salesperson sell you an overepriced coaxial cable even if it looks like a piece of jewelry. Digital audio is either on or off.)

Then set the tv to the proper video input, then the receiver to the proper audio.

Hope that helps.

I

izub

Audioholic Intern
Did not know that about the coax Thanks That'll save me some money. One question If I am just watching tv and want sound amplified through the receiver in 5.1 ,I would need a coax from the tv to receiver also in addition to the dvd coax correct? Thanks.

A

AVFriend

Audiophyte
The coax for the DVD player is exclusive to the DVD player.

The only way I know of a TV that can produce digital audio is if the TV has a built in DTV receiver to pick up over the air signals.If you have an antenna on the roof then this optical will work fine.

If you are subscribing to cable or satellite, the "box" will have a port for digital out that must be connected to your receivers digital in(coax or optical).

I would still recomend hooking the video directly into the TV for best results.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
AVFriend said:
If it were me, I would directly connect the DVD to The TV via the HDMI cable. Then I would run the DVD coaxial to the receiver for two reasons:

1 The coaxial cable is much more robust than optical.
2 You can use any 75 OHM video cable for coaxial audio. (Don't let a salesperson sell you an overepriced coaxial cable even if it looks like a piece of jewelry. Digital audio is either on or off.)

Then set the tv to the proper video input, then the receiver to the proper audio.

Hope that helps.
There was an experimen some years ago using a coat hanger as digital cable. Worked just fine :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis