How do you choose and purchase a subwoofer?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

Today Audioholics goes over how to make an educated purchasing decision when buying a subwoofer for your home theater system. We've created a handy checklist of items that need to be considered and balanced, including cost, size, aesthetics, and output. We also touch on the pros and cons of going with a sealed subwoofer versus ported. Last but not least, other factors like warranty, customer service, and return policy need to be accounted for.

Read: How to Buy a Subwoofer

Let us know what parameters you choose when purchasing a new sub.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For me, the most important parameter is that the subwoofer has to be part of the tower speaker. ;) :D

So I think this translates into aesthetic and output.

Having more than one sub also increases the total bass output, so each sub doesn't have to output 120dB from 30Hz-80Hz.

One question a lot of people ask is, should I get one big sub vs. 2 or 4 smaller subs to smooth the bass response? I would choose getting multiple smaller subs.

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
Let us know what parameters you choose when purchasing a new sub.
An odd answer; for me the most important parameter was 'the annoyance factor' of my previous subwoofers.
I used to have a pair of JL F113's, great subs, no doubt about it but at times they hummed and when you hear this you get so focused on it that it becomes annoying. Furthermore they had no trigger input so by selecting the 'standby' function, they regularly switched off and the deeper end was gone.

So I purchased a pair of B&W DB1's; no humm at all, a trigger input and they sound great as well. I couldn't be happier.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
An odd answer; for me the most important parameter was 'the annoyance factor' of my previous subwoofers.
I used to have a pair of JL F113's, great subs, no doubt about it but at times they hummed and when you hear this you get so focused on it that it becomes annoying. Furthermore they had no trigger input so by selecting the 'standby' function, they regularly switched off and the deeper end was gone.
That's another factor I forgot. When you buy active subs, hopefully the internal amp will be great forever. If you are unlucky the internal amp may buzz, hum, or do bad things regardless of the brand name.

That's why I will only buy passive subs. But most B&M companies don't offer passive subs. RBH is one very rare example. For ID, Funk & JTR offer passive.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I'm only on my second sub. The first isn't really worth mentioning, and 8" Klipsch Synergy from 1998. I currently use a Hsu VTF3-Mk3. It's totally overkill for my room but I bought it for extension. I only use a fraction of its power but it's awesome for movies and I almost puked listening to Saint-Saens.

Jim

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis