How do you calibrate a home theater??????

M

mon2479

Enthusiast
So my understanding on calibrating a hometheater reciever is the start with speaker db's at 0, crank up the volume with white noise until all speakers hit 75 on the spl meter, adjusting each speakers db to match 75. Then whatever volume number makes it to 75db is that where I watch movies???? If anyone could help me out with this, I would really appreciate it:D. Would I do the same for the subwoofer to match speakers 75db?? I've also heard to use C weight and slow response. I hope this will be easy:rolleyes: O yeah and I would much rather do it myself than my "YPAO" on the reciever. Thanks a bunch:D

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
If you use the pink noise that the Yamaha generates then it will automatically change the master volume to 0dB while playing the noise. With SPL meter at ear level at your seat (on tripod or stack of pillows). Adjust each speaker trim so that you get a response of 75dB. Yes make sure the meter is set to C weight & slow tends to be easier to use. It's pretty straight forward. The newer receivers these days actually get the speaker trim very close if not dead on. I would use YPaO to set everything up, then go in & make sure all speakers are set to Small with a crossover of about 80hz (if you have a subwoofer). Then I would do the final trim adjustment with the SPL meter.

Have fun!

M

mon2479

Enthusiast
Do I need to watch movies at the volume point where it hits 75dB? I need subwoofer at 160hz cause i have mirage nanosat speakers(they have NO bass,sound good though)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Do I need to watch movies at the volume point where it hits 75dB? I need subwoofer at 160hz cause i have mirage nanosat speakers(they have NO bass,sound good though)
No you don't have to listen at that volume setting. Actually, I doubt your speaker or you would stand up to that level.
Listen at the level it is comfortable. This calibration will give you an idea of the relative levels you will be listening at.

Yes, you will need a good sub and actually you may need to consider saving your $$$ and get better speakers beside a sub so you can cross over around 80Hz, not 160Hz.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis