how do i setup multiple external amplifiers?

ryanshaw3ball

ryanshaw3ball

Audioholic Intern
im trying to hook up 2 external amplifiers to my pioneer 919 vsx ah-k and wanna know how to do it? the only way i know is to hook one up to the zone 2 output with rca red whites but that only has one set of those

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
you could try hooking them up with Y split RCA cables (note this may reduce signal amplitude). why do you need more then one amp per channel?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, since your 919 has no pre-outs, other than zone 2, you can't have more than just stereo amplified anyways.
Are your amps mono or bridged? Or are you trying to use amps to power 3 or all 5 channels?

ryanshaw3ball

ryanshaw3ball

Audioholic Intern
im trying to power 4 of my bigger speakers with external amplifiers while keeping 5 on the receiver. i was thinking of getting 2 stereo amps if i could do it. would it be possible to get a bigger amp and wire 2 of the four speakers together in parallel, driving the 4 speakers with one stereo amplifier?

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
im trying to power 4 of my bigger speakers with external amplifiers while keeping 5 on the receiver. i was thinking of getting 2 stereo amps if i could do it. would it be possible to get a bigger amp and wire 2 of the four speakers together in parallel, driving the 4 speakers with one stereo amplifier?
You can't do that without risking damage to the speakers and amp. You'll halve the impedance seen by the amp, causing it to drop lower than most amps can handle. Some amps have two sets of outputs but they're designed for 8 ohm speakers at lower volumes. Even then, most "8 ohm" speakers dip close to 4 ohms meaning you'll be presenting a 2-3 ohm load that very few amps can handle.

ryanshaw3ball

ryanshaw3ball

Audioholic Intern
so i got an amplifier and have it hooked up to the zone 2 out of the pioneer but i cant get it to work. no sound or signal from the zone 2 of the pioneer, anyone have experience with this?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
What source are you trying to use? Try the tuner first and see if you can get that to play. Also you will need to use analog connections for any other source you want to use for zone 2.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
After you verify that whatever input you're using on your amp is working, you then might want to check your receiver's manual to see how to implement your "zone 2" feature.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It sound to me that you need a new receiver with pre outs

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
It sound to me that you need a new receiver with pre outs
Bingo. I was wondering if someone was going to bring this up. Most likely the Zone 2 outputs are fixed-level, which means you’ll have no volume control of an external amp connected to them.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis