How do I get all the Audio to come through my bespoke cables?

E

Edward Murray

Audiophyte
Hi I'm currently learning how to solder audio cables because I need lots of bespoke cables for all the audio related gismos that my customers have,

I've only got as far as making 3.5mm cables to 1/4 jack because the only half the sound is coming through like , no vocals for example it might be a polarity issue but I make sure positive goes to positive etc. Could if anyone shed light on what else it could be, I would really appreciate it

Also: I understand that the cables could short out but I have a cable that shorts out when doing a stress test but all the audio runs through perfectly when it's completely still.

I can't send images as my camera won't focus properly.

Thanks

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi I'm currently learning how to solder audio cables because I need lots of bespoke cables for all the audio related gismos that my customers have,

I've only got as far as making 3.5mm cables to 1/4 jack because the only half the sound is coming through like , no vocals for example it might be a polarity issue but I make sure positive goes to positive etc. Could if anyone shed light on what else it could be, I would really appreciate it

Also: I understand that the cables could short out but I have a cable that shorts out when doing a stress test but all the audio runs through perfectly when it's completely still.

I can't send images as my camera won't focus properly.

Thanks
First of all one post is enough. Actually we need just one informative post.

What does your multimeter show, in terms of connectivity between the correct pins and absence of shorts between pins? Does the budget at "Whisker Audio" rise to a simple multimeter?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

For starters, both 3.5mm and 1/4" come as either TS and TRS, not to mention male and female for cable ends and chassis-mounted as well, and you didn’t tell us which you are using. It would also be helpful to know what the cables will be connected to. Also, I have no idea what a “bespoke” cable is.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

For starters, both 3.5mm and 1/4" come as either TS and TRS, not to mention male and female for cable ends and chassis-mounted as well, and you didn’t tell us which you are using. It would also be helpful to know what the cables will be connected to. Also, I have no idea what a “bespoke” cable is.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Had to look it up myself, bespoke means individually or custom made (UK term).

E

Edward Murray

Audiophyte
Thanks for you're response about this cable Problem

Sorry about two messages I didn't realise there was a Cable specific section and I don't know how to delete the other post if it is at all possible

Ok so you said an informative post would be best

I hope by informative you mean the type of connector otherwise you'll have to specify
Stereo Connectors TRS X1 1/4, X1 3.5 both male

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/35mm-plastic-stereo-plug-hf98g
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/35mm-metal-stereo-plug-fj99h

I used the same connector but in it's 1/4 inch form could find it online

so at one end 3.5 male stereo - 1/4 in male stereo

if you need the cable type I can't give it and can find it online

About the metering I was away with my family so couldn't get back quicker
and don't have my own meter

all my meter readings were 1.7 average none above 2.0 which would be a short as i've learnt

there are no connections where there shouldn't be.

yet they all have the same problem with no vocal or only part the vocal

One of the guys at the electronics place were I am learning to make this cable it's kind of a place where people who are into electronics make stuff

he said, "Is the input the right input for this cable and I told him about the one cable I made that did work correctly which was exactly the same connectors / cable as the others unfortunately, that cable was messy in the 3.5 connector and the soldering wasn't very strong so inevitably the connections inside have now broken.

The only difference I can think of with that cable is I used the braided wire for the ground but not for the others.

I hope you can help I feel I' ve hit a brick wall

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Your meter readings make no sense.

You solder tip to tip with the same wire. You solder ring to ring with the other wire in the cable. You solder the shield to both grounds (the body).

Now take your meter and put it across tip and tip. It should read zero ohms. Now go ring to ring it should be zero ohms. Now go body to body. It should be zero ohms.

Now put the probes across ring and tip. it should read infinity. (No meter deflection).

Now put it across tip and body, again you should see infinity. (no meter deflection).

Now put the probes across ring and body, again there should be zero deflection.

If these are not the results you get then you screwed up and need to be taught how to do it, or practice until you get it right.

That is all there is to it. Nothing more to be said, now go at it until you get it right.

E

Edward Murray

Audiophyte
Your meter readings make no sense.
Hi thanks again for your response I managed to get the cable working though not by following your advice

As I was making the wire for connecting a mobile to a Line in on a mixer Initially, I wired the cable/ connecters as you advised, before I made the original post, but it failed to work!
...so I tried grounding the negative wire at each end which seemed to work Obviously It's possible that it might not work with other devices or other audio equipment but it serves its purpose.

Thanks for the Advice Any How it's appreciated.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis