How do I connect an equalizer

T

TRUCKGUYGMC23

Audioholic Intern
Hey guys,

I have a denon avr-2105 and I just purchased and equalizer to boost some lower frequencies at lower volumes. From how I understand it, you are supposed to connect the equalizer with the tape in/out jacks. I have those on my receiver but there is no "tape monitor" selection. I do have a "rec out" selection. Are those two the same? If it is not, then I will probably have to hook up the components I want to equalize to the equalizer and then from the EQ to the receiver. That would be ok, but I listen to a lot of radio, so that wouldn't work too well. Any help would be appreciated :)

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Not sure if you can. I believe you need a (tape 2) option. Your receiver only has one tape option. IMHO, EQ's are not a good way to solve your problem. Do you have a sub?

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Don't know if your using it for home theatre alot, but an equalizer can cause alot of problems with Dolby Digital and DTS decoding to the point of burning out chips on the main board of some receivers. :(

there are a few older posts in here that discuss the problem.

you might want to see if you can't use one of the functions in the receiver to do your boosting.

if cats can't do math, how can they always find the geometric center of a bed ?

T

TRUCKGUYGMC23

Audioholic Intern
I am going to use the EQ for 2-channel stereo only. I won't use it when playing a movie. Would that hurt the receiver?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
TRUCKGUYGMC23 said:
Hey guys,

I have a denon avr-2105 and I just purchased and equalizer to boost some lower frequencies at lower volumes. From how I understand it, you are supposed to connect the equalizer with the tape in/out jacks. I have those on my receiver but there is no "tape monitor" selection. I do have a "rec out" selection. Are those two the same? If it is not, then I will probably have to hook up the components I want to equalize to the equalizer and then from the EQ to the receiver. That would be ok, but I listen to a lot of radio, so that wouldn't work too well. Any help would be appreciated :)

The best way to hook the EQ up is between the pre amp section and the power amp section.
The EQ will boost or cut frequencies at all volume levels equally so an EQ will not meet your need for only low volume levels only.
Second, if your speakers cannot handle the frequency band you are trying to boost, an EQ will not help. Then, perhaps as was suggested, a sub is on your shopping list, not an EQ.

T

TRUCKGUYGMC23

Audioholic Intern
I have a very decent sub right now. I also have a pair of bass capable front speakers. I like to listen to music without the sub. The previous receiver I used had a "loudness" button which filled out the sound at lower volumes which I liked. I think I might have to run the eq between the cd player and receiver since I don't see a "monitor" input. I don't think that running the eq like that would hurt the receiver if I am using 2 channel mode and "direct" on the receiver. What is the "rec out" light on the panel of the receiver mean? Is that the same as monitor? The manual is very vague on this topic. Thanks for your help!

P

Polkfan

Audioholic
I'd have to agree with the advice about not using an equalizer. If your sub is good enough you can use it to boost your bass frequencies. An equalizer will probably add alot of color to your sound. My experience with one was that it really made the sound seem more compressed and less dynamic. I use my sub essentially like the bass tone control. I have my receiver set flat and attenaute the bass by raising or lowering the sub level via remote. It works quite well.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
TRUCKGUYGMC23:
You can not hook an EQ BTW a cd player & a receiver. You may want to check your crossover settings in your receiver. Not sure about your unit, but you should be able to change the frequency going to your mains. I have mine set @ 80hz. My receiver also has a setting for small or large speakers. If you set it to large, the entire frequency range will be sent to the speakers. If set to small, the frequency is controlled by the crossover point. I also have the option to send all bass to sub, or share it with the mains. Be sure you have proper set-up. It is the key to great sound! :)

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
I agree with zumbo, the idea of using an equilizer with you HT set up it doesn't seem to be a workable solution for obtaining a better tailored sound and have more control of your bass. Usually equilizers excell in large venues sound systems set up, theater's stages, rock concerts sound set up where a large number of microphones are used on stage and off stage to keep feedback under control. In recording studios are also largely used to tailor the recorded sound. For HT systems you can manipulate your speakers to tailor your sound output (Open to comments on this).

Attachments

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Also, todays music is recorded the way it is meant to be heard. So leave your bass & treble set to 0 or flat.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

TRUCKGUYGMC23 said:
I have a very decent sub right now. I also have a pair of bass capable front speakers. I like to listen to music without the sub. The previous receiver I used had a "loudness" button which filled out the sound at lower volumes which I liked. I think I might have to run the eq between the cd player and receiver since I don't see a "monitor" input. I don't think that running the eq like that would hurt the receiver if I am using 2 channel mode and "direct" on the receiver. What is the "rec out" light on the panel of the receiver mean? Is that the same as monitor? The manual is very vague on this topic. Thanks for your help!

If you are concerned with the low frequency response of your main speakers in stereo operation with the CD only, you shopuld be able to connect the EQ between the CD player and receiver and using the direct mode. However, to set it by ear you will fail and to do it properly, you need a Real Time Analyzer, not cheap. Even then, your main may not respond properly. Your use of loudenss more or less compressed the dynamics of the receiver, that is why you may have prefer that setting.

T

TRUCKGUYGMC23

Audioholic Intern
Well I have decided to take everyone's advice and not hook up the EQ. I guess I will listen to music with the sub. Actually I just got the receiver a few weeks ago and it seems to sound better and better everyday for some reason. Must just be me. Oh well, thanks for all your help.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

TRUCKGUYGMC23 said:
Actually I just got the receiver a few weeks ago and it seems to sound better and better everyday for some reason. Must just be me. .

Yes, that is what it is, human psychology at work :D

J

johnu

Enthusiast
Mr.T said:
I agree with zumbo, the idea of using an equilizer with you HT set up it doesn't seem to be a workable solution for obtaining a better tailored sound and have more control of your bass. Usually equilizers excell in large venues sound systems set up, theater's stages, rock concerts sound set up where a large number of microphones are used on stage and off stage to keep feedback under control. In recording studios are also largely used to tailor the recorded sound. For HT systems you can manipulate your speakers to tailor your sound output (Open to comments on this).
zumbo said:
Also, todays music is recorded the way it is meant to be heard. So leave your bass & treble set to 0 or flat.
You guys sound very certain that equalizers should not be used. There are other viewpoints. For example, my SVS PC-Ultra subwoofer has a built in parametric equalizer and the SVS B12-Plus/4 Reference Package, their most expensive item, includes a standalone equalizer. Their obvious use is to improve the sound which is why SVS includes them.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

zumbo said:

The music is recorded in a studio where the monitor speakers are EQed to a certain standard. Are your home speakers and space EQed to that standard too? If not, it will not sound as recorded or intended but what your acoustic space will deliver, unless it is an intelligent acoustic space and knows ;)

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
johnu said:
You guys sound very certain that equalizers should not be used. There are other viewpoints. For example, my SVS PC-Ultra subwoofer has a built in parametric equalizer and the SVS B12-Plus/4 Reference Package, their most expensive item, includes a standalone equalizer. Their obvious use is to improve the sound which is why SVS includes them.
Actually, most rooms sound far better with EQ. But most people utilize EQ incorrectly which leads audiophiles to issue blanket statements like "EQ is bad, don't use it!"

P

Polkfan

Audioholic
Equalizing a sub is not the same thing as equalizing floor standing speakers. The floor standers will have the high frequencies that are affected.

T

TRUCKGUYGMC23

Audioholic Intern
Hey guys,

Ok, now I purchased this equalizer (Kenwood KE-205) and decided not to use it on my system. Should I return it ($50) or should I connect it up to the subwoofer to tighten up some bass? The sub is pretty tight now, but I am not sure if an EQ would make it sound any better. The only thing is..the frequency ranges on the EQ are as follows...60 Hz, 150 Hz, 400 Hz, 1 kHz, 2.4 kHz, 6 kHz, and 15 kHz. I think for a sub, the low frequencies on the EQ might be a little high for the sub, however instead of boosting 60 hz and below, maybe it would sound even better if I could cut some of the frequencies above 60 hz. Just curious what you guys think. Thanks for your help!

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
mtrycrafts said:
The music is recorded in a studio where the monitor speakers are EQed to a certain standard. Are your home speakers and space EQed to that standard too? If not, it will not sound as recorded or intended but what your acoustic space will deliver, unless it is an intelligent acoustic space and knows ;)
The settings are to be left @ 0. Not in the -. Not in the +. If a person thinks they need more bass, they either need more power or larger(or better) speakers. Same goes for trebble. If you need more, consider the electronics or speakers. If any system does not sound great set flat, then that system is not up-to-par....... This is an AUDIOPHILE FACT! :D

johnu The Kenwood KE-205 is NOT a parametric eq!

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
TRUCKGUYGMC23 said:
Hey guys,

Ok, now I purchased this equalizer (Kenwood KE-205) and decided not to use it on my system. Should I return it ($50) or should I connect it up to the subwoofer to tighten up some bass? The sub is pretty tight now, but I am not sure if an EQ would make it sound any better. The only thing is..the frequency ranges on the EQ are as follows...60 Hz, 150 Hz, 400 Hz, 1 kHz, 2.4 kHz, 6 kHz, and 15 kHz. I think for a sub, the low frequencies on the EQ might be a little high for the sub, however instead of boosting 60 hz and below, maybe it would sound even better if I could cut some of the frequencies above 60 hz. Just curious what you guys think. Thanks for your help!
Don't bother using it on the sub.

If you need some EQ on the sub, a parametric EQ will be a lot more useful. But I think at this point, you should either measure your room's acoustics or quit while you're ahead.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis