How come this decade doesn't have one?

20to20K

Full Audioholic
It seems like every decade since the 60's has had an undisputed queen diva of guitar strummin folk singing.

The 60's had Janis Joplin
The 70's had Joni Mitchell
The 80's had Rikki Lee Jones
The 90's had Sheryl Crow

What's up with the 00's? Am I overlooking someone?

T

twheeloc

Audioholic Intern
One person that I might throw in to the "Folk Diva" category would be Ani DiFranco...Though contrasting to some of those listed she is popular, socially and politically outspoken, and pretty impressive at "strumming" the guitar.

As a side note pretty technically savy with one live album titled "Living In Clip" with a definition of what clipping is in reference to amplifiers as well as having her own label.

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
20to20K said:
It seems like every decade since the 60's has had an undisputed queen diva of guitar strummin folk singing.

The 60's had Janis Joplin
The 70's had Joni Mitchell
The 80's had Rikki Lee Jones
The 90's had Sheryl Crow

What's up with the 00's? Am I overlooking someone?

Well, we still have 5 more years to find one. Can't think of any off hand recently. Maybe Britney will pick up a guitar on her next album? :eek:

BTW, we call 1970 through 1979 the seventies, 80-89 the eighties and 90-99 the nineties. What do you call 00-09? :confused: It's easy to write the 00's but what should we "call" them?

Man, I have to much time on my hands today. And I'm at work?

Shinerman

R

Red

Audioholic
Shinerman said:
BTW, we call 1970 through 1979 the seventies, 80-89 the eighties and 90-99 the nineties. What do you call 00-09? :confused: It's easy to write the 00's but what should we "call" them?

Shinerman

Maybe these days should be called the zero's....probably better the the Oh's.. :cool:

20to20K

Full Audioholic
Shinerman said:
Well, we still have 5 more years to find one. Can't think of any off hand recently. Maybe Britney will pick up a guitar on her next album? :eek:

Man, I have to much time on my hands today. And I'm at work?

Shinerman
In addition to a guitar Britany would have to also pick up the following things:

Talent, voice, brain, social consciousness, and credibility otherwise she's pretty much there!

I'm at work too...Do people actually do this from home? :eek:

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
00's are known as the,,,, oughts.

Hasn't Kelly Clarkson picked up the guitar? :rolleyes:

R

Red

Audioholic
Does Nelly Furtado play guitar? I don't think her music could be classified as folk but she has a lot of talent and surely is better than the manufactured pop crap of Britney....perhaps some of our Canadian friends have the low down on her

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
Tex-amp said:
00's are known as the,,,, oughts.

Hasn't Kelly Clarkson picked up the guitar? :rolleyes:

Britney has some nice "oughts", 00's! :eek:

Doh! Back to work!

Shinerman

D

dloweman

Audioholic
Chalk one up for shinerman for that one, gotta give it to ya that is great!!!!

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
I'm not sure I consider Janis Joplin a guitar strummin' diva. Most of her work came as front woman of Big Brother and the Holding Company.

And was Joni Mitchell that big in the 70s? I remember her from Woodstock which was at the end of the 60s.

I guess I just have a hard time with trying to pigeon hole a decade that way. The media does it all the time and honestly, trends don't play out in perfect 10 year periods like that.

20to20K

Full Audioholic
Fair point about Joplin..

Shadow_Ferret said:
I'm not sure I consider Janis Joplin a guitar strummin' diva. Most of her work came as front woman of Big Brother and the Holding Company.

And was Joni Mitchell that big in the 70s? I remember her from Woodstock which was at the end of the 60s.

I guess I just have a hard time with trying to pigeon hole a decade that way. The media does it all the time and honestly, trends don't play out in perfect 10 year periods like that.
Maybe we should replace her with Joan Baez?

While Mitchell made her initial splash in the late 60's, I think her best material (with the exception of Blue) was in the 70's. Not trying to pigeon-hole...just talking about era's. Decading is the easiest way to distinguish era IMO...or perhaps I'm just a media brainwashed zombie :rolleyes:

Either way...I think it makes for good conversation...

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Hmm. Or was I confusing Joni Mitchell with Joan Baez? :confused:

M

monkeynuts

Audiophyte
yoiks! there is a folk diva and no mistake...

I think you will find that one KT Tunstall of "Black Horse & Cherry Tree" fame is the lady you are looking for. If you've never heard her stuff before check it out. And whoever suggested Ani Difranco should hang their head in shame as it's hard to be "New for the oughties" when you've been banging away for over a decade!

J

jotham

Audioholic
How about Tracy Chapman or India Arie? India Arie needs the time to really prove herself. Tracy Chapman has already done so. She's not necessarily my taste but she definitely seems to have the talent.

Z

Zarg

Junior Audioholic
My Pick

Aimee Mann.

Brilliant lyrics, haunting melodies. Gotta love her work!

20to20K

Full Audioholic
Chapman had her shot...

jotham said:
How about Tracy Chapman or India Arie? India Arie needs the time to really prove herself. Tracy Chapman has already done so. She's not necessarily my taste but she definitely seems to have the talent.
...in the 90's. I agree she had talent...and a very distinctive voice.
But she never really grabbed me the way Joni or even Rickey Lee
did. Perhaps a bit too depressing...

India Arie had that first good album and she's seems to have disappeared.
Seems like her and Alicia Keys hit the scene at exactly the same time
and they were (incorrectly) lumped into the same category and Keys
blew her away because of her crossover pop/R&B/hiphip appeal.

What a shame...

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Zarg said:
Aimee Mann.

Brilliant lyrics, haunting melodies. Gotta love her work!
Aimee Mann was on backup vocals for Rush's "Force Ten", if I reecall correctly.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Do Jewel and Avril Levine count as 90's or 00's ? It's not really my genre but those two appear to have some talent with a guitar.

maybe the fact that Sheryl hasn't OD'd or committed suicide means the next stringer hasn't been called yet ?

M

Mega2000

Audioholic
jewel was for sure folky in the 90s. now she is pop garbage

are any of you familiar with PJ Harvey. She is an awesome female artist who plays all her own insterments. Another good artist is Eleni Mandell.

I can see India Arie being that girl for the 00-09 if she catches on.

J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
00's Diva

My personal favorite recent female artist has got to be Norah Jones. Although both of her albums are interchangable, they are very well done. I don't know if she will make it to the icon status of the others mentioned, but she already has a bunch of grammys.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis