Houston, one of my Revel Salon's may have a problem

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
]

A few years ago, the Voice center channel sounded scratchy and I found that pressing the midrange produced that sound. Revel support said that it was a known problem and they were in the process of developing a replacement driver (they ran out). It took 6 months but they provided a replacement driver free.
At the time, I the tech said the Voice had a different midrange. That was not correct. The Salons also used that same midrange.

At the start of this thread, I discovered the same problem on the right Salon playing Patricia Barber's Swim (HDTracks) at decent volume.
So I replaced both midranges as recommended by the Revel tech.

A couple of years ago, I replaced both tweeters (saving the original) and because the right-channel did not sound as good as the left.
That may have been due to the issues above and a misdiagnosis on my part.

As it stands the Salons have new tweeters, midranges, and the right-channel has a new mid-bass.
The Center channel has a new mid-range.

- Rich
I would use those speakers very gently from now on. As you know I don't believe the design concept to be valid for a speaker in that category.

Here is a good review that will help you understand power problems in speaker design.

Elliot Sound are a very good source of reliable information.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The Salon1s were not made in Mexico, they were made in Northridge, CA, as were the first few years of Salon2 production. It is my understanding that the original Salon1 drivers were also made inhouse or purpose-designed by Harmon, wherever they were made. Also, I agree with Rich that country of origin is not a good indicator of product quality. The root cause problem here seems to be is that Harmon, in the US, made some drivers that had some materials weaknesses, and then tried to produce replacements on the cheap with a jobber. All of this China, Mexico, or whatever discussion seems irrelevant.

Last edited:
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
The Salon1s were not made in Mexico, they were made in Northridge, CA, as were the first few years of Salon2 production. It is my understanding that the original Salon1 drivers were also made inhouse or purpose-designed by Harmon, wherever they were made. Also, I agree with Rich that country of origin is not a good indicator product quality. The root case problem here seems to be is that Harmon, in the US, made some drivers that had some materials weaknesses, and then tried to produce replacements on the cheap with a jobber. All of this Chine, Mexico, or whatever discussion seems irrelevant.
The Salon 2's I've listened to where made in Mexico. Well the ones I've heard I would pay about $1200.00 a pair tops. Mexico, China or US. That's just what they sounded like to me. $1200.00 a pair speakers, period. To be honest they didn't interest me at all. Them cheap build in outriggers where a total turnoff.

Last edited:
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
The Salon 2's I've listened to where made in Mexico. Well the ones I've heard I would pay about $1200.00 a pair tops. Mexico, China or Us. That's just what they sounded like to me. $1200.00 a pair speakers, period.
There is no excuse and I don't care what you think. You see I don't feed into hype. There are some major suckers out there.
These just came in on a trade in. I could have picked them up for 3.5k.

Last edited:
RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
The Salon 2's I've listened to where made in Mexico. Well the ones I've heard I would pay about $1200.00 a pair tops. Mexico, China or US. That's just what they sounded like to me. $1200.00 a pair speakers, period. To be honest they didn't interest me at all. Them cheap build in outriggers where a total turnoff.
There is no excuse and I don't care what you think. You see I don't feed into hype. There are some major suckers out there.
These just came in on a trade in. I could have picked them up for 3.5k.
Next time you find a deal like that, please PM this sucka :p :D

- Rich

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
$1200? That much? What are "built in outriggers"?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan

You know, Walter, you've made my ignore list twice in the past for making some really silly remarks. Congratulations, you did it again.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
$1200? That much?
I've seen Walter "listen" to speakers. After he's done, $1,200 is asking too much no matter what the speaker started off as.

Nobody in their right mind would leave him alone with a pair of speakers for 5 minutes. His rig trips the breaker.

It's all relative.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai

You know, Walter, you've made my ignore list twice in the past for making some really silly remarks. Congratulations, you did it again.
You can put me on your ignore list all you want. You're not in the OP's shoes. How would you react if you're spending that kind of money for your dream speaker and you end up with problem after problem. We are talking about a major investment here. I would have to say that RichB is handling the situation very well, I sure couldn't deal with it. I don't think I could get a good nights sleep with what he went trough with them speakers. How would you fell if you ended up with a pair of lemons like that?? Kind of reminds me of a BMW I bought years ago, on a lucky stretch it didn't go in the shop for 3 days, that was my dream car at that time. Pure junk from day one, didn't even make it from the dealer to my house (2 miles). I almost wanted to take that dealer out.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I've seen Walter "listen" to speakers. After he's done, $1,200 is asking too much no matter what the speaker started off as.

Nobody in their right mind would leave him alone with a pair of speakers for 5 minutes. His rig trips the breaker.

It's all relative.
Alex, you've come a long way with your system. I bet it sounds great. How is that Salk center. I've heard it at Alex's (that is the one you bought?) hell of a center. At least I can trip my breaker and my speakers don't blow.

Last edited:
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I believe Walter is really on vacation, and Irv is filling in for him here. :D
How would you react if you ended up with speakers like that? I would pull my hair out, but I don't have too much left.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
How would you react if you ended up with speakers like that? I would pull my hair out, but I don't have too much left.
100%, absolutely, completely agree. In fact, this thread has likely removed the Salons from my imaginary list of great speakers. I was making a joke, obviously a poor one, about your grammar/spelling as you got excited. ;)

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
100%, absolutely, completely agree. In fact, this thread has likely removed the Salons from my imaginary list of great speakers. I was making a joke, obviously a poor one, about your grammar/spelling as you got excited. ;)
I do get a little excited now and then. My wife put a small nick with the vacuum on one of my towers and I mean small. I am the only one that would really see it but I know it's there. I had to get case of Guinness and double up on my Xanax just to keep me from blowing my top.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I thought my Salon2 were among the best sounding speakers I've ever heard, albeit they didn't fit my specific need exactly.

Just because ONE pair of Salon1 had driver issues about 10 YEARS later, does not mean all Salon1 or Salon2 speakers are poorly designed or made. Most Salon speakers last as long as any other speaker on the planet.

Everyone has an opinion, which isn't any better than any other EXPERT. :)

Irv and Rich may only be willing to pay $1,199.99 for Walter's speakers or TLS Guy's speakers.

Many people are only willing to pay $1,200 for a pair of Focal Grand Utopia III. It doesn't mean the speakers are bad. ;)

Last edited:
H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I do get a little excited now and then. My wife put a small nick with the vacuum on one of my towers and I mean small. I am the only one that would really see it but I know it's there. I had to get case of Guinness and double up on my Xanax just to keep me from blowing my top.
I understand. We have cats, dogs, and a maid service. That is one reason I went with Phil3s instead of SoundScapes. Would have to start getting Xanax on the street corner for enough to cover all the expected scratches and dings on high-dollar cabinets.

As for your frustration with the Salons, I couldn't agree more. Doesn't matter what the cause. I don't care how good a car performs if it is not reliable. Speakers are even worse. I have a backup car.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That definitely explains the mood. Sorry to hear that. That would irk me to no end.

My wife or anyone else isn't even allowed to come within 3 feet of my system. :eek: :)

When people come to my room, I tell them, "Don't touch my speakers".

When I am not home, I LOCK up my HT room.

Man, I must be pretty rude or something. :eek:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I vote for "or something". There can be a thin line between rude and smart. :)
An intolerance for disrespect. :)

I've seen people inappropriately touching :eek: and even trying to move my speakers just to see if they could. :mad:

Utter disrespect of non-audiophiles for an audiophile's system! :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis