Hookup DVD Player to Integra DTM 5.9 receiver to TV?

P

php111

Junior Audioholic
Hey everyone,

I have an Integra DTM 5.9 receiver with a pair of B&W 686 speakers. I would like to hear the sound coming out of my B&W speakers. I have pictures to show of my DVD Player, and my TV. May I please confirm if this setup would be correct based on how I'm going to do this?

Take the 3 RCA cables from each end which are white, yellow, and red. Plug the yellow video out into my DVD Player. Plug the red video out into my DVD Player. On my TV, I have a headphones jack, white and yellow jacks. Plug the white of the RCA into my TV, and the yellow into the yellow. Get a 2 RCA cable which has white and red on each end. Plug the red into audio out on my DVD Player, and the white into the white on my DVD Player. Plug the red into the red and white on the back of my receiver? Would everything sound correct?

DVD Player:
http://imageshack.us/a/img191/1319/imagehmv.jpg

TV:
http://imageshack.us/a/img507/6055/imagefnk.jpg

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
There might be a better way to do this. What input plugs do you have on the back of te TV?

P

php111

Junior Audioholic
I don't have any on the back of my TV. I only have a coaxial on the back.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The audio should not be going to the TV. Use the digital out from the player directly to the receiver, send video only (yellow) to the TV. You never loop video through the TV first with analog.

P

php111

Junior Audioholic
The audio should not be going to the TV. Use the digital out from the player directly to the receiver, send video only (yellow) to the TV. You never loop video through the TV first with analog.
I don't have a coaxial cable to hookup that goes directly from Digital Out to the receiver. I only have those RCA cables.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Any rca cable can be used for coaxial digital. Nothing special about those cables.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Coaxial video and coaxial digital are exactly the same thing.

P

php111

Junior Audioholic
Coaxial video and coaxial digital are exactly the same thing.
Let me clarify please. Only plug the yellow into back of my DVD Player, and don't plug in red and white? Only plug the yellow into my TV, and don't plug in the white into my TV?

1.) What color of the RCA cable should I use for digital out on my DVD Player? Should I use the red or white color of the 2-RCA cable?

2.) What input/output/or even where should I plug the digital out into my receiver? I'm thinking on the bottom part where DVD is?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes.

1) It doesn't matter because they are the same thing, however you may need to assign the digital input to DVD or whichever input you like in the receiver. It is likely already assigned to CD or DVD.
2) The receiver likely has a few coaxial digital inputs, any of which should work. They will likely be separate from the "DVD" section on the receiver and will say COAX or DIGITAL.

If you can't get there that way, just connect the red and white from the DVD (audio out) to the receiver (DVD) and still just connect the yellow to the TV. FYI: you will not get audio on the TV with either of these methods though, meaning you will need to have the receiver on to get audio. You would need to have another connection to the TV as well to be able to get audio with the receiver off.

Is that the only other input on the TV? Or does it have more connections on the rear?

P

php111

Junior Audioholic
On my TV, I only have the front inputs which are white, yellow, and a headphones input. On the back of my TV, there is only Coaxial for cable TV.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, I've owned TVs like that too. So the TV only has basically only a mono input, which means you are better off with audio going directly to the receiver so you can at least get stereo.

P

php111

Junior Audioholic
Yes, I've owned TVs like that too. So the TV only has basically only a mono input, which means you are better off with audio going directly to the receiver so you can at least get stereo.
For me to get stereo directly, just either use the digital out, or the R red audio, and L white audio, and then connect it directly to the receiver for DVD? My PC is connected to CD. My cable box is connected with red and white in the cable box, and red and white in the receiver for GAME/TV to get audio out of my TV.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, the red & white from the player directly to an available input on the receiver, such as DVD. OR the coaxial digital to one of the coaxial digital inputs.

P

php111

Junior Audioholic
Yes, the red & white from the player directly to an available input on the receiver, such as DVD. OR the coaxial digital to one of the coaxial digital inputs.
Thank you for your help! I haven't tried this yet, but maybe next weekend someone will help me re-arrange my bedroom because right now everything is far apart. Also, I am going to click that thumbs up button that says "thanks". Take care!

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Looking up your receiver: It doesn't look like it has digital inputs, if this is the case take the red/white wires and hook them up to the receiver. Any input will do but the one labeled DVD will be the easiest to remember (obviously...).

P

php111

Junior Audioholic
Looking up your receiver: It doesn't look like it has digital inputs, if this is the case take the red/white wires and hook them up to the receiver. Any input will do but the one labeled DVD will be the easiest to remember (obviously...).
Thank you very much! I'll gave you a "thumbs up" as well.

P

php111

Junior Audioholic
Bump:

I know this is my DVD Player to receiver question, but I have a similar question.

Too get my TV to play audio, and I would need to go from the cable box into the receiver, right? So, connect the red/white in the cable box, and red/white in my receiver for GAME/TV? Since I was talking about audio from my DVD Player to my receiver, would it loop the audio if I follow the above directions, and also go directly from my cable box to get audio for my TV?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Im unsure as to exactly what you're saying with this "loop" stuff but, to be clear, your best bet for guaranteed results is to run the red/white audio from each of your sources directly to it's own input on the receiver. Then, simply select the related input on the reeiver when you want to listen to it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis