Hooking up Stacked Speakers:

S

s666pts

Enthusiast
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and I need someone to learn me something. We say that a lot here in Louisiana. lol
I have a Yamaha RX-V2600 receiver. I also have a pair of Cerwin Vega 211R's and a pair of Klipsch Heresy I's. I want to stack them to see if I would like what I hear. I was told by one local guy what might work as for wiring to the receiver, but he did not sound to sure. He said all I need to do is take both positive wires from both of the speakers, say the right side, and hook up to the receiver togeather on the positive terminal for the right side. Then do the same for the negative wires for the right side. Then do the same for the left side going to the left side terminals. Each speaker would have it's own wire going to the receiver.
He also said that I might even benifit/get a better sound this way because of the change in the ohms. Sorry guys, but as simple as this may sound to you, it is over my head. So would this work, and or would this be the best way to hook up stacked speakers?? Thanks in advance...

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Definitely don't do that. Pick one pair that you like the sound of better, get some stands or something to raise them up to ear height and then use the other pair for surrounds or a different setup. Don't bother stacking them and trying to wire them together. The sound won't be very good, if you wire it wrong you might do damage to the amplifier, if you wire it right you might damage the receiver, and it probably won't sound good (worth mentioning twice).

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
When you hook up both speakers together to the same terminal make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy, something is gonna start smoking.

T

TheHills44060

Junior Audioholic
While it sounds like fun creating a wall of sound by stacking I think you'll find that you either like one set or the other at a time. It's also not worth potentially damaging your receiver. Now you could insert a speaker selector switch in the mix which would allow you to more easily switch from one set to the other but you wont be able to play both simultaneously.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
While it sounds like fun creating a wall of sound by stacking I think you'll find that you either like one set or the other at a time. It's also not worth potentially damaging your receiver. Now you could insert a speaker selector switch in the mix which would allow you to more easily switch from one set to the other but you wont be able to play both simultaneously.
Depends on the speaker selector.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Each speaker would have it's own wire going to the receiver.
He also said that I might even benifit/get a better sound this way because of the change in the ohms. Sorry guys, but as simple as this may sound to you, it is over my head. So would this work, and or would this be the best way to hook up stacked speakers?? Thanks in advance...
Are you bored or something - do you want to create chaos?

You will not benefit from better sound doing this.

Test them one at a time, then pick which sounds best to you.

While you are doing all this, be kind to your equipment

S

s666pts

Enthusiast
Well there's a idea that was blown out of the water! LOL I am currently using the Klipsch for the rear surround, along with two Klipsch flush mount ceiling speakers for the rear also. 7.1 hook up. I just wanted to try and get more out of the 2 channel stereo. When I listen to music, not watching movies, I like to listen to it in 2 channel stereo. That's why I thought I would try the stacking method. But NOT NOW!! lol
But, is there a SAFE way to do this other than using A and B then stack for two channel stereo. Or would that be the only way to do it. Since my Yamaha claims to push 130 watts per channel the wattage is still hitting the speakers. Not like my old Sansui 9090DB which push's 125 per channel. You use A&B on that, it cuts the wattage down. It's 2 channel stereo.
And of course I've been thinking about upgrading. Looking at the Paradigm's and B&W's.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well there's a idea that was blown out of the water! LOL I am currently using the Klipsch for the rear surround, along with two Klipsch flush mount ceiling speakers for the rear also. 7.1 hook up. I just wanted to try and get more out of the 2 channel stereo. When I listen to music, not watching movies, I like to listen to it in 2 channel stereo. That's why I thought I would try the stacking method. But NOT NOW!! lol
But, is there a SAFE way to do this other than using A and B then stack for two channel stereo. Or would that be the only way to do it. Since my Yamaha claims to push 130 watts per channel the wattage is still hitting the speakers. Not like my old Sansui 9090DB which push's 125 per channel. You use A&B on that, it cuts the wattage down. It's 2 channel stereo.
And of course I've been thinking about upgrading. Looking at the Paradigm's and B&W's.
Don't stack at all. If you want better two channel sound, CV definitely isn't going to get you very far in terms of sound quality. You'd probably be better off with the Klipsch Heresy for your two channel listening. If you want better two channel sound, ditch this whole idea and get better speakers. Start with figuring out what your budget would be and if that budget is for speakers, or speakers and subs. Depending on the person and your budget/preferences, you'll either get recommended a nice pair of towers or a nice pair of bookshelves with subwoofers.

S

s666pts

Enthusiast
Yes, like I said, I am looking to upgrade. Going to go with Paradigm Studio's or B&W Cm series. Just not there yet. I would agree with you on some of the newer CV stuff, but these 211R's are old school Cerwin Vega's. I think they actually sound better than the Heresy's. I bought them brand new in Janurary 1977. They would surprise you...

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I bought them brand new in Janurary 1977. They would surprise you...
... no they would not. I have heard them. They have a bloated bass, a non-existent tweeter and the mid's are, for lack of a better word ... there ... and not in a good way. Sorry to be so rude. :eek:

S

s666pts

Enthusiast
... no they would not. I have heard them. They have a bloated bass, a non-existent tweeter and the mid's are, for lack of a better word ... there ... and not in a good way. Sorry to be so rude. :eek:
No problem. I welcome all opinions and help. I am ready to upgrade.... As a matter of fact, being 58 years old, I'm way past due..:)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Changing the sound is easy. Improving it, not so easy.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, like I said, I am looking to upgrade. .........
these 211R's are old school Cerwin Vega's........ I bought them brand new in Janurary 1977....
There have been many updates in the way speakers are made, along with improvements in their sound.
1977? You're overdue for a new pair :D
I'm surprised the foam surrounds haven't rotted out.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Going to go with Paradigm Studio's or B&W Cm series... but these 211R's are old school Cerwin Vega's. I think they actually sound better than the Heresy's.
S666pts,
First, welcome. 58 is the perfect time to really start learning/exploring hi-fi. :)

Have you actually heard the Paradigms or B&Ws? A couple years ago, I was about where you are now. The stuff I had was old, but I thought it sounded good. Over the years put more money into receivers than speakers. Most of what I heard was at local Best Buy or Circuit City, and thought their top-of-the-line stuff was really THE top-of-the-line stuff. It isn't.

Learned a lot on this site, not the least of which is that speakers make the biggest difference. Unless you spend A LOT on speakers, you will need a subwoofer to fill out the bottom. (By "a lot", I mean thousands... each.)

Have fun!!! The journey of learning, deciding, and putting your system together is fun!!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis