hooking sony sub up to sherwood receiver?

C

cals400ex

Audiophyte
The sony subwoofer came with a sony stereo set (two speakers, receiver/tape/cd player, etc.). The sony receiver went out and I'm looking to hook this up to my sherwood receiver. However, the sony subwoofer has two wires coming out of it. One wire is the subwoofer jack and the other appears to have a "+" and "-" component with a special sony plug (that only plugs into their receiver). Can I cut off their special plug and hook it up to my sherwood receiver?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

Does your Sony sub have a separate power cord? I'm wondering if it is a passive or active sub. After we know that, we can answer your question.

C

cals400ex

Audiophyte
It doesn't have any other cords or a separate power cord than what is shown in the picture above. The model on the sub is ss-wg750. Thanks.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
It looks like you have a passive sub [no built in amplifier] that doesn't allow you to run the speakers threw it. The only way to hook this up to your receiver would be to buy an amplifier to use along with it. I would strongly advise against this, as buying the cheapest powered subwoofer you can find will almost certainly be an improvement over the one you have.

C

cals400ex

Audiophyte
That's what I was worried about. I appreciate the help.

Z

Zwasinge

Audiophyte
So, what exactly are the cords pictured. I have the opposite issue. I've got the Mhc-gx750 stereo, and am looking to hook up a sub other than the sa-wg750. Is this possible?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
So, what exactly are the cords pictured. I have the opposite issue. I've got the Mhc-gx750 stereo, and am looking to hook up a sub other than the sa-wg750. Is this possible?
There's not a heluva lot of info available using either of those numbers but are you saying that you've got a two wire output you want to feed to a powered sub?

If that's the case, if said sub has speaker level inputs you should be fine. just don't feed it into an RCA jack (line lrvrl) input.

YammyFan72

YammyFan72

Enthusiast
Unless I'm missing something here, this thread is nearly 3 years old. I would hope the OP would've solved his subwoofer issues by now. o_O

Z

Zwasinge

Audiophyte
Well, I've got a SVC passive sub. I'm wondering if I can hook it up to this stereo. The original sub that came with the stereo had these 2 plugs(the ones the op pictured above). Which plugged into a subwoofer out port and a subwoofer control port. Seeing that my sub doesn't have those plugs, is there a way to hook it up at all? Why would the original passive sub need these two separate connections?

Z

Zwasinge

Audiophyte
Ok, I appreciate the help. I am just doing a hack job setup with piece and parts I've already got for in my shop. I played with it a bit more and ended up horse shoeing the so called control. It must basically complete a turn on circuit when the original sub is plugged in. And then and only then will send power through the RCA. I've got it working. Thanks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis