J

jmaverick101

Audiophyte
I have a decent size living room 20x20 with 15ft ceiling. Looking at starting a family movie night with throwing in some gaming (PS4). Also want Zone 2 feature to play music (hopefully wireless) out side. Looking at the Onkyo TX-NR828 or the 626. Like the fact they both support 4k video. The 626 is about a 3rd the price which helps with my second request. Looking at bookshelf speakers, only need 5.1 at this point. What would you recommend. Looking to keep total price on system below 1500.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How far do you sit from the TV screen and how LOUD do you listen?

I would steer clear of Onkyo in general. I would stick to Denon/Marantz/Yamaha.

J

jmaverick101

Audiophyte
Sofa is set about 12 ft away. We don't blaze music as you might expect at a house parties, but would like option to get full effects for movie night.

J

jmaverick101

Audiophyte
keying on to onkyo 636 and orb audio 5.1.. Speakers 600 dollars and Avr for 450. Any thoughts, and yes I am aware of onkyos issues in recent past.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Nah, those orb audio speakers aren't bookshelfs. This Pioneer 5.0 bundle would sound better. Edit: out of stock now. You snooze, you lose. An LCR combo of the Ascend Acoustics HTM-200 bookshelfs would definitely be a step up though, plus maybe a pair of Fluance bipoles (sealed, and I think should be a reasonably similar timbre to the sealed Ascends). Or go for the Affordable Accuracy modded Pioneers (pair of bookshelfs + center) plus the vented Fluance bipoles. For receiver, either the Marantz SR5009 (or 5007 if you want a deep discount and don't mind to go back a couple of model years), or the Denon AVR-X2000, or the Yamaha A730 would be better than the Onkyo. Then...

If you want to a low price but reasonably performing sub, then get the NXG NX-BAS-500 or the Dayton Sub-1500. Then you can get a stereo wireless transmitter and speakers for your Zone 2 (or maybe a pair of rocks?). If you'd rather pay a little more for a better sounding sub, consider the Rythmik LV12R, the Hsu VTF-2 MK4, or the Outlaw Ultra-X12 for something more grown up while still staying within your $1500 budget (although the Outlaw might put you a few bucks over), then plan to add your Zone 2 stuff later. Either way, you'll be putting that pathetic little Orb 5.1 bass module to absolute shame.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
keying on to onkyo 636 and orb audio 5.1.. Speakers 600 dollars and Avr for 450. Any thoughts, and yes I am aware of onkyos issues in recent past.
As stated I would skip the Orb

Look at the HSU Hybrid 2 - 3.1 system
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid2pkg.html

Then choose your receiver

For surrounds on a tight budget - Boston Soundware 4.5
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/bossoundwareespra/boston-acoustics-soundware-4.5-in-indoor/outdoor-speaker-each/1.html

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis