Home Theater Upgrade

B

Bill Edmett

Audiophyte
Hello,

I have a mid level Marantz Receiver (SR5010) that pushes about less than 100 watts to 7 channels. Since I have some very high end speakers (front, left, and center), I decided to add a 2 channel (Emotive A-300) amp to give more power to my left and right channel speakers. Since I have done this, I have been enjoying the improvements, however now my attention has shifted to the lack of clarity in the center channel. since it is still being driven my AV amp, I am suspecting that it still needs it's amp. So I am considering purchasing a mono amp for the center channel speaker. I am looking at the 2200 Outlaw.

Does this sound like a good idea? Will I get more clarity in the voices in my movies? Is it OK to mix and match power amps like this?

Thank you....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello,

I have a mid level Marantz Receiver (SR5010) that pushes about less than 100 watts to 7 channels. Since I have some very high end speakers (front, left, and center), I decided to add a 2 channel (Emotive A-300) amp to give more power to my left and right channel speakers. Since I have done this, I have been enjoying the improvements, however now my attention has shifted to the lack of clarity in the center channel. since it is still being driven my AV amp, I am suspecting that it still needs it's amp. So I am considering purchasing a mono amp for the center channel speaker. I am looking at the 2200 Outlaw.

Does this sound like a good idea? Will I get more clarity in the voices in my movies? Is it OK to mix and match power amps like this?

Thank you....
You can answer your own question by a quick trial, just connect the L/R back t the SR5010 and the center to the A300, run Audyssey again to match the levels and see if you can hear any improvements. Just be aware that at low listening level it shouldn't make a difference but you may perceive a difference regardless.

B

Bill Edmett

Audiophyte
You can answer your own question by a quick trial, just connect the L/R back t the SR5010 and the center to the A300, run Audyssey again to match the levels and see if you can hear any improvements. Just be aware that at low listening level it shouldn't make a difference but you may perceive a difference regardless.
Great point! I will give that a test. Thank you!!

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Hello,

Thank you....
I couldn't pass this up: if you went with the Emotiva XPA seris of amps, you could have started out with just 2 channel cards and then added additional channels as you expanded your system. That's the sum total of my Emotiva knowledge. Great products for amplifiers. As Peng suggested, you can test out whether you'll get a benefit or not with a little recabling.

Looks like you have some nice toys to listen to. :D

B

Bill Edmett

Audiophyte
I couldn't pass this up: if you went with the Emotiva XPA seris of amps, you could have started out with just 2 channel cards and then added additional channels as you expanded your system. That's the sum total of my Emotiva knowledge. Great products for amplifiers. As Peng suggested, you can test out whether you'll get a benefit or not with a little recabling.

Looks like you have some nice toys to listen to. :D
Yes, I have seen those. I don't know why I did not see them before.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis