Home Theater Upgrade/Replacement

N

NtegraDryvr

Enthusiast
Hi all! I am currently building up a home theater for my new house. I want a relatively future proof surround sound setup for my Xbox One & HTPC. I currently have $550 of Best Buy/Magnolia rewards points and a friend that works in Magnolia recommended the Def Tech BP-8060's as my main front 2 towers along with matching center channel. I don't have a specific budget in mind as I will probably be doing the fronts now and the rest later. I want to do it right the first time and have no regrets.

I listen to music on occasion and don't have a tendency to crank the volume up high enough that you have to yell to have a conversation. Gaming & HD Streaming are going to be the primary uses.

Room:
10ft high ceiling
Carpeted 20ft long x 18ft wide (from outside wall to where the carpet stops and tile begins)

Current Setup:
Samsung UN65JU7100 4k TV
HTPC running Kodi (XBMC)
Xbox One
Denon AVR 2112ci
Mirage Nanosat 5.1 Speakers (currently setup as 3.1 since my house isn't wired up yet for the surrounds)

I need to use the $550 credit I have which limits me to the selection at Magnolia for the moment, however I can also get 24mo no interest on whatever else I need. I don't believe BB will carry any of the brands of subs I have read about (Velodyne, SVS, etc) so I will probably get that else where. I would like something that will work with DTS:X & or Atmos in the future unless this isn't suggested.

What do you all recommend? Are the BP-8060's the way to go? Other than the sub I would like the speakers to match each other series wise.

I would post pictures of my current setup and room space but I am too new to the forum & it won't allow me :)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You're kinda going in several different directions here. What's that $550 number for? Speakers, Subwoofer,/receiver? All three or various parts thereof?

anyhoo, here's some general advice:

The front three speakers should match. If you listen to true 5.1 multichannel music then the rear two should match.

If you listen to movies and synthesized multi channel music (originally two channels) then the rears don't have to closely match the front three, but it's nice if they do.

If you like the sound of the speakers, then go for them. Everyone has different tastes and one cannot question someone's preference. What they prefer is the best, for them at least.

ID subs like SVS, Hsu and other companies who specialize in subss tend to ofer more bang, or boom, for the buck than subs from full line companies.

As for future proofing, good luck. Nobody can see what's over the horizon. Three years ago who ever thought of 4k and Atmos?

N

NtegraDryvr

Enthusiast
Sorry I wasn't very clear. I was just stating that i have a credit that needs to be used so I need to spend at least that amount there but that is by no means my budget. I don't have a budget per say at the moment as I will piece the surrounds/receiver/ & maybe sub together at a later time.

All of my music at the moment is 2 channel. I primarily will use this for HD content streaming & Xbox One. I think what I want is something where I can't identify the channels individually but delivers clear direction for location based on sound if that makes any sense. That plays more into the gaming aspect for hearing what is going on around you and locating.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
perhaps I should sit this one out. I'm into music and HT but am pretty ignorant when it comes to gaming.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Hi all! I am currently building up a home theater... I want a relatively future proof surround sound setup... Current setup: Denon AVR 2112ci... I need to use the $550 credit
There are SOOOO many good speakers that are not at BB, I would consider using your credit for a new Yamaha or Denon AVR. Look for speakers elsewhere.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Def Tech 8060 is fine. Whatever you buy, just don't pay MSRP. If your friend can buy for you using his significant employee discount, that would be good.

If you are getting subs anyway, I would get the Def Tech BP10B. I've owned those speakers for a short time. They sounded very nice to me.

https://www.magnoliaav.com/products/audio/speakers/definitive-technology-6638524

Just listen to all the speakers they have - Def Tech, Martin Logan, B&W, and see which ones you like best.

BTW, Magnolia does sell SVS speakers and subs.

https://www.magnoliaav.com/products/audio/speakers/svs-sound-ultratower

https://www.magnoliaav.com/products/audio/speakers/svs-sound-sb1000

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Wow, that's pretty cool to see SVS is working with vendors... or is it?

I can see it as a positive that their market saturation has grown to such a point it's viable.

I can see it as a negative that could cause a cheapening of their products in order to meet the demands of the vendors.

Now if it's a sweet heart deal for SVS were they get to dictate what their margins are like Bose does, then the quality should be maintainable assuming they don't cut corners.

N

NtegraDryvr

Enthusiast
So I went over to BB and attempted to Demo the BP8060's but there was too much other noise going on to get any idea of what they sounded like. I did listen to the Mythos STS SuperTowers and thought they sounded great. They are also on a huge sale for $1900/pair. I listened to the SM65's and liked them as well but didn't feel like I got a good feel for them. If I went with BP8060's or the Mythos STS's would the SM65's make good surrounds or is that a bad match for either of those? I see DefTech matches the STS's with a Mythos Gem surround speaker but I can't imagine it is half as good as an SM65.

Any other suggestions to listen to in that price range that might be better? Which center channel should I match those up to? 8060, mythos xtr50, mythose 9x 10?

Starting Sunday they are having a sale, buy the BP8060's and the Atmos A60's are included as well as $125 off any sub's with any Def Tech purchase. They have the entire SVS line there also. Would you guys recommend getting PB2000 x2 or 1 PB12 Plus? I believe I want to go ported after what I have read on their site and comments.

PB-8060st vs STS SuperTower vs SM65

PB2000 x2 vs PB12-Plus x1

Last edited:
N

NtegraDryvr

Enthusiast
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the BP-8060st pair since they are having a sale for $699ea and I also got a CS8080-HD center channel as a hook up from a buddy for $800.

i will be going to another store to pickup 2 SVS PB-2000's per SVS's recommendations for my room.

After listening to the 8060's I like them but I'm still a little undecided. I felt like the highs and clarity of the STS's were better but they are $500 + tax more at this point for the pair.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis