Home theater system suggestion.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
In your situation, I would be looking at this Outlaw Audio subwoofer. It has down-firing driver and ports, so those are not exposed to children. It's a bit expensive, but it is a very good performer. If your kids do climb on it, it can support their weight without problem.

As for speakers, it looks like tower speakers are out. They will be a safety hazard with your kids, and your kids would probably destroy the cones anyway. In-wall speakers will have to do.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can you provide pics of these mounts you have? Particularly the one for a subwoofer....having trouble imagining such.

D

Dastaak

Enthusiast
That OLED is a great looking TV...careful with the kiddos and playing games on it...those sets are reportedly susceptible to screen burn in.

Quality surround sound is going to be tough on a $1300 budget...given that you have such a nice TV, maybe start with an AVR and 2 speakers, and add more speakers and a sub as funds allow. Those HTIB (home theater in a box) systems get you into surround and it may not be the worse thing if you could move it to the game room down the line, but they are not good investments if you intend to keep it long term.
Did a search on a HT1B and found this link.
https://www.lifewire.com/best-home-theater-starter-kits-to-buy-4062692

This one has a receiver with wifi:
https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S7700-5-1-2-Ch-Network-Receiver/dp/B00LU0GOUO/?tag=aboutcom02lifewire-20

Thanks

D

Dastaak

Enthusiast
In your situation, I would be looking at this Outlaw Audio subwoofer. It has down-firing driver and ports, so those are not exposed to children. It's a bit expensive, but it is a very good performer. If your kids do climb on it, it can support their weight without problem.

As for speakers, it looks like tower speakers are out. They will be a safety hazard with your kids, and your kids would probably destroy the cones anyway. In-wall speakers will have to do.

Any suggestion for in-wall speakers?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
does that change the equation?
Well, hard to in advance pick out a good spot for a subwoofer (it's more the other way around, the best spot for the subwoofer will dictate where any wiring needs to go), what type of wiring did you install for the speakers and subwoofer, though?

D

Dastaak

Enthusiast
Well, hard to in advance pick out a good spot for a subwoofer (it's more the other way around, the best spot for the subwoofer will dictate where any wiring needs to go), what type of wiring did you install for the speakers and subwoofer, though?
I didn't install anything I'm planning to buy a system and install it. When they build the house I asked them to make those wall ports not sure what kind a wiring is behind it yet.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I apologize.

HTIB...I should not have done that as I normally don't suggest anything I wouldn't do myself if I was in the same situation. HTIB are generally a grade above junk. Maybe for the kids game room but I wouldn't put that in my living room. Circling back to the $1300...I'd get an AVR and 2 quality speakers and build on that as I got the money.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't install anything I'm planning to buy a system and install it. When they build the house I asked them to make those wall ports not sure what kind a wiring is behind it yet.
I'd figure that out before buying any gear....who knows, they may have put speaker cables on the subwoofer port.

D

Dastaak

Enthusiast
I apologize.

HTIB...I should not have done that as I normally don't suggest anything I wouldn't do myself if I was in the same situation. HTIB are generally a grade above junk. Maybe for the kids game room but I wouldn't put that in my living room. Circling back to the $1300...I'd get an AVR and 2 quality speakers and build on that as I got the money.
Any AVR and speaker suggestion?

D

Dastaak

Enthusiast
Guys

I got a quote from one the local dallas Home theater guy, what's your take? I'm sorry to say but if you would compare this with Boss v6 series how is the sound quality?
yay or nay?

2-Episode 6.5 in ceiling spk. 100 series

3-Episode 6.5 in wall spk. 100 series

1-polk psw10- subwoofer

1-onkyo 5.1 receiver-353 model

Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Guys

I got a quote from one the local dallas Home theater guy, what's your take? I'm sorry to say but if you would compare this with Boss v6 series how is the sound quality?
yay or nay?

2-Episode 6.5 in ceiling spk. 100 series

3-Episode 6.5 in wall spk. 100 series

1-polk psw10- subwoofer

1-onkyo 5.1 receiver-353 model

Thanks
Poor subwoofer, very low end receiver; not familiar with the speakers. Still probably better than the Bose, tho, at a guess.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Episode is a meh installer brand that will have a very high markup. I hope the quote for that package is not too far over $500.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Open box/refurbished onkyo tx nr 656 will run you $299, I have this receiver and have no complaints. Avoid Bose. If you want unobtrusive speakers that can be wall mounted, the polk OWM3's are $100 bucks a pair, the owm5 can serve as a center channel for about $199. That's $700 right there, add a Dayton sub 1200 for $150 and you'd be golden. If you can deal with larger speakers, micca mb42x are good. If you've got a bigger room, I'd suggest looking into klipsch r-14ms/R-15ms. You can usually find deals on eBay.

Sent from my 5065N using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis