Home theater system suggestion.

D

Dastaak

Enthusiast
I'm getting my new TV and planning to setup a theater system.
My home theater area is an open area. There are 4 mounts two on ceiling and two on TV wall with one mount I beleive is for reciver.

I'm very new to home theater system and just based on what I read or hear I'm buying these products.

I'm geting LG OLED65B6P TV.

Planning to buy BOSS Acoustimass® 6 Series V home theater speaker system. Why I'm just impressed by BOSD sound quality. Does the system come with mounts or those speakers can fit to any wall mount easily.

As for reciver I'm planning to get Yamaha RX-V481BL. Reason it has wifi and I thought it will work with BOSS system as per best buy tech.

My budget for home theater system is aound 1200.

Do you think it is a decent enough system or I'm paying too much and I can get something better for that price?
I need some good suggestions from gurus here and I really appreciate your help.

Thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You can do way WAY better than Bose in terms of sound quality, but that means getting sizable speakers. How far will your listening position be from the speakers? Can you accommodate floor-standing speakers? What kind of space so you have for speakers? How large is the room? Don't pay attention to the BestBuy tech, the knowledge of the regulars in this forum totally dwarfs whatever he can tell you. If he is steering you toward Bose, that should already be a major red flag. Its a sad system with a high markup where retailers make a killing. Get some real speakers.

That Yamaha is an awfully cheap receiver, but it should work. I wouldn't want to drive an entire surround sound system with it. I would stick with two channels with the Yamaha. If your listening position is further back then 10 feet from the speaker placement, I would be looking at a pair of these guys, they have powerful bass for inexpensive tower speakers and good sound quality too. They are a bit large though. If you do not have floorspace for tower speakers or a subwoofer, I would be looking at these guys, good bass for bookshelf speakers, and good sound quality. For a system with a subwoofer, maybe look at a 2.1 set from here, or this sub and these speakers for something a little less expensive. Those are just a few suggestions, there are other good directions you can go in as well, but I would steer clear of Bose.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Planning to buy BOSS Acoustimass® 6 Series V home theater speaker system.
:eek::eek::eek:

You did the right thing coming here first before spending your hard earned money, my friend. I think almost anything is going to give you a better sound experience than Bose. First thing you want to do is go back to Best Buy and smack whoever it was told you it's a good buy, then come back here and answer some of Shady's questions and we'll help you put something better together. :)

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
If you are set on Best Buy, the only speakers I could suggest would be the Pioneer SP-BS22LR bookshelf speakers or the Sony Core bookshelf speakers. I have a pair of both of those, and they sound quite good for the money, much better value than anything Bose. You also may want a subwoofer. The Sony is OK, but not great; however, you may not need a great sub. That is up to you. The Yamaha receiver should be fine. Peace and goodwill.

D

Dastaak

Enthusiast
You can do way WAY better than Bose in terms of sound quality, but that means getting sizable speakers. How far will your listening position be from the speakers? Can you accommodate floor-standing speakers? What kind of space so you have for speakers? How large is the room? Don't pay attention to the BestBuy tech, the knowledge of the regulars in this forum totally dwarfs whatever he can tell you. If he is steering you toward Bose, that should already be a major red flag. Its a sad system with a high markup where retailers make a killing. Get some real speakers.

That Yamaha is an awfully cheap receiver, but it should work. I wouldn't want to drive an entire surround sound system with it. I would stick with two channels with the Yamaha. If your listening position is further back then 10 feet from the speaker placement, I would be looking at a pair of these guys, they have powerful bass for inexpensive tower speakers and good sound quality too. They are a bit large though. If you do not have floorspace for tower speakers or a subwoofer, I would be looking at these guys, good bass for bookshelf speakers, and good sound quality. For a system with a subwoofer, maybe look at a 2.1 set from here, or this sub and these speakers for something a little less expensive. Those are just a few suggestions, there are other good directions you can go in as well, but I would steer clear of Bose.
Hi,

First thanks for replying back. Here is answer to your question:

1- How far will your listening position be from the speakers?
9ft

2- Can you accommodate floor-standing speakers?
Yes I can, however I have young kids and they love to climb anything. Also I want to keep the speaker foot print pretty small, or if the best if they can go inside the wall.

3- What kind of space so you have for speakers?
I have three mounts on the TV wall, one feet above the ground I beleive more likely that is for floor speakers, and two on ceiling. 1 mount on TV wall for subwoofer. when they build the house I asked them to make those mounts.

4- How large is the room?
13 x 11 feet, open media room, it is open to game room no doors just a step between open media room and game room. Anyone in game room can watch TV easily.

After reading your answer. I returned the AV receiver to BestBuy so now I'm open to build the system.
My range is around 1000. I would like a AV receiver that has wifi so I can play music from my cell phone Iphone or Android.

Please let me know if you have any question or I miss anything.

Thanks again for you help.

D

Dastaak

Enthusiast
:eek::eek::eek:

You did the right thing coming here first before spending your hard earned money, my friend. I think almost anything is going to give you a better sound experience than Bose. First thing you want to do is go back to Best Buy and smack whoever it was told you it's a good buy, then come back here and answer some of Shady's questions and we'll help you put something better together. :)
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I just reply on thread with questions asked by @shadyJ

Thanks

D

Dastaak

Enthusiast
If you are set on Best Buy, the only speakers I could suggest would be the Pioneer SP-BS22LR bookshelf speakers or the Sony Core bookshelf speakers. I have a pair of both of those, and they sound quite good for the money, much better value than anything Bose. You also may want a subwoofer. The Sony is OK, but not great; however, you may not need a great sub. That is up to you. The Yamaha receiver should be fine. Peace and goodwill.

thank you.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi,

First thanks for replying back. Here is answer to your question:

1- How far will your listening position be from the speakers?
9ft

2- Can you accommodate floor-standing speakers?
Yes I can, however I have young kids and they love to climb anything. Also I want to keep the speaker foot print pretty small, or if the best if they can go inside the wall.

3- What kind of space so you have for speakers?
I have three mounts on the TV wall, one feet above the ground I beleive more likely that is for floor speakers, and two on ceiling. 1 mount on TV wall for subwoofer. when they build the house I asked them to make those mounts.

4- How large is the room?
13 x 11 feet, open media room, it is open to game room no doors just a step between open media room and game room. Anyone in game room can watch TV easily.

After reading your answer. I returned the AV receiver to BestBuy so now I'm open to build the system.
My range is around 1000. I would like a AV receiver that has wifi so I can play music from my cell phone Iphone or Android.

Please let me know if you have any question or I miss anything.

Thanks again for you help.
Thought your budget without the receiver was 1200? Does that 1000 have to buy a receiver now too?

D

Dastaak

Enthusiast
Thought your budget without the receiver was 1200? Does that 1000 have to buy a receiver now too?
Sorry my bad.
New budget 1200 for speaker and receiver.
Wiring, mounting brackets and installation cost is separate.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry my bad.
New budget 1200 for speaker and receiver.
Wiring, mounting brackets and installation cost is separate.
That's a very thin budget for both speakers and a receiver. Do you have funds left from taking the receiver back that you could add to your original speaker budget?

*Edit: My bad, I see you were planning to get it, not already have it.

D

Dastaak

Enthusiast
That's a very thin budget for both speakers and a receiver. Do you have funds left from taking the receiver back that you could add to your original speaker budget?

*Edit: My bad, I see you were planning to get it, not already have it.
I bought the receiver for 299 so adding back to original budget will make it to 1300.
My TV ate most of my budget as wify wouldn't compromise on LED so that why I ended up with an OLED.
This will be my first system so ok to compromise and also most of the time my kids would be watching nickelodeon on it :)
I wanted to make sure that spending on a 700 BOSS 6 V system worth it or can I get something better for that price, as I was not convinced by the BestBuy tech.

@Pogre no I didn't smack him as he was not in store lol

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I bought the receiver for 299 so adding back to original budget will make it to 1300.
My TV ate most of my budget as wify wouldn't compromise on LED so that why I ended up with an OLED.
This will be my first system so ok to compromise and also most of the time my kids would be watching nickelodeon on it :)
I wanted to make sure that spending on a 700 BOSS 6 V system worth it or can I get something better for that price, as I was not convinced by the BestBuy tech.

Lol.

What all do you have available? Your av name suggests not in North America? That will affect suggestions.

D

Dastaak

Enthusiast
Lol.

What all do you have available? Your av name suggests not in North America? That will affect suggestions.
This is receiver i got Yamaha RX-V481BL, it was an open box item :)

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall

That OLED is a great looking TV...careful with the kiddos and playing games on it...those sets are reportedly susceptible to screen burn in.

Quality surround sound is going to be tough on a $1300 budget...given that you have such a nice TV, maybe start with an AVR and 2 speakers, and add more speakers and a sub as funds allow. Those HTIB (home theater in a box) systems get you into surround and it may not be the worse thing if you could move it to the game room down the line, but they are not good investments if you intend to keep it long term.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Dallas sorry man I'm not good at this stuff and get things mixed up :)
It's all good. We get posts from all over the globe and some folks don't have the availability we have here in North America.

I had bookshelf speakers on stands for years with a child and now I have towers and a grandson (and 2 large dogs, one is still a puppy) who is here often. I've never had an issue with them getting knocked over.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis